Jeff Samardzija....

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
Luckily the Cubs signed him a big money major league deal before he even threw a pro pitch.

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He belongs in the NFL. Suckered the Cubs into giving him 10M because of football and because he can throw heat. That's it

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
He would've been a fringe NFL guy as well. The real problem was the Cubs never seemed to care that he wasn't developing secondary pitches. They pushed him up through the system more than they should have to try and justify the bad money they gave him.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
He would've been a fringe NFL guy as well. The real problem was the Cubs never seemed to care that he wasn't developing secondary pitches. They pushed him up through the system more than they should have to try and justify the bad money they gave him.

Yeah they fell in love with his fastball and slider and completely shut themselves off from the notion that he should be learning how to actually pitch.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
And on his NFL prospects: he could have been taken in the first 3 rounds of the '06 draft and made himself some quick money, but he would have been quickly exposed as slower and softer than most NFL wideouts, probably.

Big Z

Byrd is the Word!
Liked Posts:
I don't think last season helped him either. Kept being sent down and then being called back up, they kept saying they were gonna give him time at AAA to develop some secondary pitches and let him start some games. Then a week later he's called up and back in the 'pen.

I'm not sure if the guy ever had the stuff to be truly great but I'm sure the Cubs' handling of him has not helped his development one bit.

CarlosSilva

Liked Posts:
Samardzjia was good in 08 and has sucked the last two years. Trade him to the Bears and get it done Jimmy!

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Samardzjia was good in 08

This isn't entirely true. He had a great ERA in 2008, but his WHIP (walks and hits per inning pitched) was a below-average 1.410 and his K/BB ratio was an unimpressive 1.67.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I don't think getting rid of him is the option. He has an overpowering fastball, it's just he hasn't had the necessary time to develop into a good pitcher at all. One or two full years in the minors are not going to hurt him. In time he could be a good pitcher. They just have to decide what the hell they are going to do with him.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I don't think getting rid of him is the option. He has an overpowering fastball, it's just he hasn't had the necessary time to develop into a good pitcher at all. One or two full years in the minors are not going to hurt him. In time he could be a good pitcher. They just have to decide what the hell they are going to do with him.

Well the clock has been ticking for awhile now. Jeff is 25 already and getting his brains beaten in at the MLB level, that $7.25 million signing bonus is long gone, and the organization needs to figure out if they are going to pick up the two $3.25 millionoptions on his deal. Oh yeah, and the no-trade clause could be a problem in whatever they decide to do.

baseballjen

Liked Posts:
Samardzija should be sent to the minors. Who knows, if he had some REAL training (instead of being thrown to the wolves in the majors) he might actually be able to pitch. I almost feel sorry for him at times, as I don't know that the Cubs have really done him any favors by having him miss minor league play.

As for the hair, it is awesome. He could at least do shampoo commercials. Actually, I think he could be an actor and play like Tarzan or something.

PRod85

Liked Posts:
If he didn't have a huge ass contract and was making league minimum, Jeff would be in AAA right now. No doubt about it. And to be honest, i don't know if he'll ever be a good pitcher.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
MILWAUKEE -- Jeff Samardzija will try to get back on track at Triple-A Iowa.

Samardzija was optioned to the Minor Leagues on Saturday to make room on the Cubs' roster for lefty Ted Lilly, who was activated from the disabled list and was to make his season debut the same night against the Milwaukee Brewers.

With the Cubs' decision to move Opening Day starter Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen, the team had too many right-handers. Samardzija posted an 18.90 ERA in four relief appearances, having given up seven earned runs on five hits and six walks over 3 1/3 innings.

Among the other right-handed candidates in the Cubs' bullpen, Jeff Gray has given up three earned runs on six hits and two walks over five innings for a 5.40 ERA, and Justin Berg has given up four earned runs on six hits and three walks over seven innings for a 5.14 ERA.

In his last outing, on Monday in New York, Samardzija, 25, did not record an out, giving up one hit and walking one. He had served up runs in three of his four most recent appearances.
Link

Finally!