Chicago Bulls anticipating physical playoff style

Manic Devourer

Liked Posts:
In one hallway at the Berto Center on Tuesday morning, Brad Miller reflected on his first playoff experience, a 2000 series with Charlotte.

"It was amazing how much the officials didn't call," Miller said. "It's definitely a different type of basketball."

In another, Tyrus Thomas shared how he's trying to prepare Joakim Noah for the shovefest that's coming.

"It's crazy," Thomas said. "And I didn't even play much [in 2007] as a rookie. But I got a taste of it."

Probably in the shape of an elbow.

At Tuesday's final regular-season practice, Kirk Hinrich walked around with a bloody gash on his left cheek, Thomas spent time arguing his flagrant foul and Ben Gordon winced when recalling getting hit in an area no man should experience. It was all residue from Monday's road victory over the Pistons—one of the most physical games of the season.

And the fact the Bulls not only won but shoved back bodes well for the playoff series against Boston or Orlando that's coming.

"It's going to be physical," coach Vinny Del Negro said. "You have to get used to that. You're not going to get calls. You have to go in there and get into bodies.

"Defensively, you have to get contact. And you have to fight through those things. You can't let the frustration get you out of sync. We have a ways to go on that. But we battled and showed some progress."

Miller, who began the season with Sacramento, agreed with the knock on the Bulls from earlier this season—that they shied from contact and wouldn't mix it up. He also said he has seen more toughness from players like Thomas and Noah in the two months he has been here.

"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays, but the other guys are playing more physical," Miller said. "Kirk always has been known to get up into somebody's backside. [Gordon's] strong for a 6-footer. The young bigs are getting after it.

"That's what we need because that's what the playoffs are going to be like. Boston has big boys who are going to be physical. Orlando has a physical freak (Dwight Howard). So we have to get more physical."

The Bulls never will be confused with the Bad Boy-era Pistons. And their preferred pace remains more up-tempo than grind-it-out. Still, Monday's game proved instructional.

Thomas' flagrant foul on Richard Hamilton, which resembled a hockey check, and Miller's ejection for two technicals proved the Bulls can't forget professionalism must accompany physicality. Especially since playoff games trend toward lower-scoring, taut affairs.

"You can't lose your emotions," Del Negro said. "We can't afford that. It hurts the team. These games are tight. You don't want to give a team an extra point or two or three. So we have to do a better job."

But Monday's performance was a start.

"We're not going to let teams push us around," Thomas said. "That's not going to happen."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-15-bulls-chicago-apr15,0,6250153.story

Manic Devourer

Liked Posts:
Re:Chicago Bulls anticipating physical playoff sty

We should darn well be used to not getting any calls, so if anything we've been preparing for the playoffs all season.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Bulls are already well prepared in the area of not getting calls. So in some sense the games would be sort of like regular season games. Or is that all our regular season games have been like playoff games? Regardless, I expect to see some historic no calls in the near future.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
"It was amazing how much the officials didn't call," Miller said. "It's definitely a different type of basketball."

We'll have a tough time adjusting to that. Oh wait..

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
I think the coaching staff is preparing for us to get no calls and you can see it in Vinny's comment. That's good he's preparing the players for it

Manic Devourer

Liked Posts:

340x.jpg

26926047.jpg

Hard%20Foul.jpg

340x.jpg

J-Mart

Liked Posts:

With the way we handled the Detroit game and how we got beat up with no calls, I say bring on Orlando. I have a feeling though that this will be like the NCAA tournament for me, lots of anticipation then disappointment when my bracket died, or this case Bulls losing lol.

Rerisen

Liked Posts:

The ref's 'gearing up for playoff basketball' is no excuse for that sorry display of refereeing in the Detroit game. That wasn't just 'letting them play' but pure one-sidedness and getting jobbed for the majority of the game.

Gene

Liked Posts:

Our bigs better be prepared for Howard if we play Orlando. I'm really not worried about anyone else on Orlando playing extremely physical. We need to play Howard very physical. I'm not sure he can stay focused for an entire 7 games series, he rarely plays consecutive games with a mean streak.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Those PPV's are damn expensive. Don't know much abou tthe fight, but I've been seeing a lot of press for it lately.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I watched. The biggest problem is finding competition for Rousey. But it was a decent enough fight, Rousey had a bit of trouble (what an upset that would have been), but otherwise pretty much had the fight in hand. Carmouche fought better than I thought she would and she will get another shot in the ring.

Rousey is a great product for the UFC if they can maintain solid fights for her. She is hot, well spoken, and good at what she does.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I watched. The biggest problem is finding competition for Rousey. But it was a decent enough fight, Rousey had a bit of trouble (what an upset that would have been), but otherwise pretty much had the fight in hand. Carmouche fought better than I thought she would and she will get another shot in the ring.

Rousey is a great product for the UFC if they can maintain solid fights for her. She is hot, well spoken, and good at what she does.
The thing I have a problem with is does that title fight deserve to be billed the same as a male title fight and charged the same price accordingly? And, if they didn't would it be fair to accuse them of being sexist? They hyped the fight so hard, but it just doesn't have the same appeal as a good male fight to most, yet they still charged $55 bucks for it. Anyone know the veiwer numbers? I can't remember the lineup but I believe their were a couple great undercard bouts as well.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The thing I have a problem with is does that title fight deserve to be billed the same as a male title fight and charged the same price accordingly? And, if they didn't would it be fair to accuse them of being sexist? They hyped the fight so hard, but it just doesn't have the same appeal as a good male fight to most, yet they still charged $55 bucks for it. Anyone know the veiwer numbers? I can't remember the lineup but I believe their were a couple great undercard bouts as well.

I thought it was great that their fight was the headliner and why not?

Great hype and publicity. As Count stated I hope they continue to provide great talent because it appears that Rousey is all the hype.

Heck, I showed my wife and daughter the UFC 20 min special on the two of them and they both wanted to see the fight after watching it.

Dana White is a great marketer. The year before he was on video stating their will not be women in UFC and look at Saturday, alot of peeps talking about it who were not even UFC fans. There were people at 9:45 Saturday night waiting for tables at BWW to watch the fight.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, UFC, like any other business, is trying for the best product they can deliver.

The good news is that I cant remember watching a card that I thought was weak. Some of the fights themselves may have been weak but the card is always solid. I have yet to spend cash for live tiks or PPV that I havent enjoyed. That is one thing the UFC has going for it. The product is good.

The high end women fights are still in a flux of a novelty, this is true. Coupled with the fact that there are not many women that can compete at the level the UFC brand requires. I think they are trying to change that. Just as what they did for the feather/flyweights. The real little guys never had much UFC exposure due to the draw; The light guys are not usually as fun for the run-of-the-mill fan to watch. They are usually too fast and very few finishes. So the UFC added a belt and 2 of the premier little guys and it was a success. They may be trying that here.

The women compete in other MMA promotions, to include some that are owned by UFC. I think the UFC signed on like 4 more women as well.

I like the way the UFC did it... Dana White could have buried the fight in the under card but instead hyped it up and went all in. It was also a smart business move in that news sources that normally wouldnt care or report UFC, certainly did here and all they wanted to talk about was the ladies.

But as you mentioned, the card was very solid all round. And their fight was over in the last minute of the 1st round and was a solid fight by any standards. If it was a 5 round snore-fest, it may be a different story. Personally, I would like to see a bit more women bouts.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Well, UFC, like any other business, is trying for the best product they can deliver.

The good news is that I cant remember watching a card that I thought was weak. Some of the fights themselves may have been weak but the card is always solid. I have yet to spend cash for live tiks or PPV that I havent enjoyed. That is one thing the UFC has going for it. The product is good.

The high end women fights are still in a flux of a novelty, this is true. Coupled with the fact that there are not many women that can compete at the level the UFC brand requires. I think they are trying to change that. Just as what they did for the feather/flyweights. The real little guys never had much UFC exposure due to the draw; The light guys are not usually as fun for the run-of-the-mill fan to watch. They are usually too fast and very few finishes. So the UFC added a belt and 2 of the premier little guys and it was a success. They may be trying that here.

The women compete in other MMA promotions, to include some that are owned by UFC. I think the UFC signed on like 4 more women as well.

I like the way the UFC did it... Dana White could have buried the fight in the under card but instead hyped it up and went all in. It was also a smart business move in that news sources that normally wouldnt care or report UFC, certainly did here and all they wanted to talk about was the ladies.

But as you mentioned, the card was very solid all round. And their fight was over in the last minute of the 1st round and was a solid fight by any standards. If it was a 5 round snore-fest, it may be a different story. Personally, I would like to see a bit more women bouts.
The bolded part is what led me to my comment as I don't think the female fighting is anywhere near the quality and quantity on the whole as the male fighting, there just aren't enough yet to put it on the same pedestal, but yet when it came time to pay for the headlining fight, the price was still the same. I think it's one of the few if only sports where this can be said as female sports you tend to pay a cheaper ticket price at the ticket office. I have no problem with them fighting, or even in saying it was a good fight (from what I saw) but I like you want to see more and have the level of the sport raised before it's worth the $55 PPV. Like you said though you aren't really paying $55 for that fight as the whole cards are very entertaining so really you're paying for the entire event and I won't say it's worth it, because I think it's outrageous to pay that for any pay per view, but it's more worth it than a boxing card. Imagine this though, do you think it would have done better or worse if the whole card had been female fights?

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see what you are saying...

By making the fight a headliner, UFC got massive press where they normally would not have. They were successful in this endeavor.

Both women were very competent and provided for a solid fight. I was not disappointed at all.

As someone who pays the PPV charge for the bulk of the UFC cards, I once again felt I got my money's worth.

An all female card... Hard not to sound misogynistic, but you are right: The female equivalent has not yet reached the product level of the guys in UFC fights. The reason that this fight was there is both fighters proved they would make a good show, even though Carmouche was a clear underdog. For the most part, there are no all female cards even in the "lesser divisions" of MMA, because the pool of female fighters is just not as large or as "qualified" for the big shows. There are female circuits however.

To answer your question, no, at this point, I would not pay for an all female UFC card yet. But I do truly believe that this is not an all-male sport and the females can provide some excellent entertainment for my money and should have the avenue to compete on the big stage as their individual skills allow. I would watch either of these women fight again for sure.

And time will tell...Right now, UFC is focusing on the bantamweights and have a total of 6 fighters. All of which have solid pedigrees by the boy's standards as well, with Strikeforce, Olympic Wrestling, etc. What is great is that within the female circuits, these women showed other female fighters they can be on the biggest stage.

But for quite some time, the female fights will remain more rare on the UFC cards, as UFC will be very protective of the product.

Unlike boxing, which I stopped watching 1000 years ago, those fights can be so much longer that if the female fight was terrible, you may have to watch like 8 rounds of that. With UFC, even if it was horrible and went all 5 rounds, you still had the rest of the card that was rock solid.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
While I'm sure the fighting was much better than it has for them in the past, I just feel like it was still marketing instead of legitimizing women in the sport. They not only don't seem have the pool of fighters but the longevity of the next big thing fades fast. It wasn't too long ago that super hot chick was the next big thing.... I can't remember her name, De something... she did as much modeling as she did fighting it seemed, then cyborg came and destroyed her and they talked about her being the real deal a female GSP and here to legitimize the sport, (she left UFC or something didn't she?) then... well Rousey... And maybe that is not the fault of the sport at all but maybe the women are in it for the novelty themselves and using it as a spring board to other avenues. I think there are going to have to be some female fighters that establish their name in the ring for years before they really start to gain traction. I would bet the average fan can't even name a many female fighters beyond the two that are fighting in front of them.... as I unfortunately illustrated above.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I'm sure the fighting was much better than it has for them in the past, I just feel like it was still marketing instead of legitimizing women in the sport. They not only don't seem have the pool of fighters but the longevity of the next big thing fades fast. It wasn't too long ago that super hot chick was the next big thing.... I can't remember her name, De something... she did as much modeling as she did fighting it seemed, then cyborg came and destroyed her and they talked about her being the real deal a female GSP and here to legitimize the sport, (she left UFC or something didn't she?) then... well Rousey... And maybe that is not the fault of the sport at all but maybe the women are in it for the novelty themselves and using it as a spring board to other avenues. I think there are going to have to be some female fighters that establish their name in the ring for years before they really start to gain traction. I would bet the average fan can't even name a many female fighters beyond the two that are fighting in front of them.... as I unfortunately illustrated above.

Bold 1: Thus far, women dont really need to be legitimized in the sport as a whole as there are many MMA organizations that offer legitimate women's divisions. As far UFC Main Event PPV goes? Oh yeah, total marketing. Which is smart... if the fight was a dud, then nothing was lost and many others may have tuned in and got the press to test the waters. Even Dana White has been quoted with "Women will never fight in the UFC" in the past.

Bold 2: While I cant say definitively, if an athletic woman was looking to use her athleticism to springboard to something else, there are MUCH easier sports do so from. When you are talking about say wrestling in particular, these are athletes that literally work themselves to the pont of destruction for little more than love of the sport.

Bold 3: Most fans dont know the whole of the card with guys or girl. For most fans UFC = MMA, which is not the case. UFC just happens to be the most successful business in the game.

It was not too long ago that MMA was more of a human dogfight then a legitimate sport. It took a LONG time to legitimize. Without Japan and Brazil, it may have never been successful.

Not sure of the fighter you are referring to. Cristine "Cyborg" Santos? That would have been in Strikeforce. As far as I know, there has never been a UFC sanctioned women's fight prior to this one.

With the women, you dont have nearly the same fighter pool, this is true, but all things need to start somewhere. By the UFC signing contacts to a total of 6 now, it does two things: 1. Gives the making of UFC-level women competition and 2. Gives current women fighters a "goal": Perform well enough and a UFC fight can be yours.