Chicago Bulls anticipating physical playoff style

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was not too long ago that MMA was more of a human dogfight then a legitimate sport. It took a LONG time to legitimize. Without Japan and Brazil, it may have never been successful.

Well said Count

While not a huge UFC fan I do remember their early days of broken bones and mangled bodies. I think many still think of it that way which is not even remotely true today.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Bold 1: Thus far, women dont really need to be legitimized in the sport as a whole as there are many MMA organizations that offer legitimate women's divisions. As far UFC Main Event PPV goes? Oh yeah, total marketing. Which is smart... if the fight was a dud, then nothing was lost and many others may have tuned in and got the press to test the waters. Even Dana White has been quoted with "Women will never fight in the UFC" in the past.

Bold 2: While I cant say definitively, if an athletic woman was looking to use her athleticism to springboard to something else, there are MUCH easier sports do so from. When you are talking about say wrestling in particular, these are athletes that literally work themselves to the pont of destruction for little more than love of the sport.

Bold 3: Most fans dont know the whole of the card with guys or girl. For most fans UFC = MMA, which is not the case. UFC just happens to be the most successful business in the game.

It was not too long ago that MMA was more of a human dogfight then a legitimate sport. It took a LONG time to legitimize. Without Japan and Brazil, it may have never been successful.

Not sure of the fighter you are referring to. Cristine "Cyborg" Santos? That would have been in Strikeforce. As far as I know, there has never been a UFC sanctioned women's fight prior to this one.

With the women, you dont have nearly the same fighter pool, this is true, but all things need to start somewhere. By the UFC signing contacts to a total of 6 now, it does two things: 1. Gives the making of UFC-level women competition and 2. Gives current women fighters a "goal": Perform well enough and a UFC fight can be yours.
To your first point... to me when I say legitimized, it's to the point where they are still "women" fighters, instead of fighters in a different division... If you get what I mean. MMA like has women's divisions in it, but they are always off shoots of the male business... That's what I mean. They aren't Legitimate yet as they are still kind of like a Juniors would be in other sports. They aren't paid the same spotlighted the same... ect.

To the second point. I don't mean to imply that these women don't train for ever single bit of what they have coming for them, and that they don't do it for the love of the sport, I just meant that it seems more like they do it to want to compete in the sport, not to make a 10-15 year career out of it... Which again isn't always their fault because they don't earn what the guys do yet. So they need to make sure they have other avenues.

3rd: I guess that's true, but predominately they guys are going to be more well known than the girls as a whole. And you're right, UFC is MMA for most folks, and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that only gets worse in the states because they seem to be taking over. I started on Strikeforce because I don't buy PPV and I had showtime so that is what I got to watch. I don't catch them as much anymore. Not that I wouldn't watch them I just never seem to see them on. I believe they merged or got bought or something didn't they?

Yeah, Chris Cyborg is who I'm talking about. I forgot that was strikeforce, which makes sense because that is what I was watching at the time. MMA for me is one of those things where the different leagues blend together for me because you have a good chance to see an awesome fight on any of them. When I was big into the Jason Ellis show I used to seek out some of the Mayhem Miller fights, especially in Japan.

I'm not sure honestly what their motivations are in getting into women fighters now is honestly. Deep down I feel like they just realize that others were getting a foothold in the business so they needed to change something to continue to be the leader. The pessimist in me says they want to do a female version of Ultimate fighter and go all hard core housewives on the drama, but I hope not. We'll see. I have nothing against women fighters honestly. Some of the fights I've seen have been ok, but as a whole it just hasn't been there. But at the end of the day, the reason I like MMA is that either guy who enters can win at any time. Lucky punch, unlucky slip, anything can happen and upsets are likely. The same can be said for women fighters too so really the wow factor should be there. But it's still gonna take some time to build the industry.

On a side note.... you'll be happy to know that taxpapers are paying Joe Hand Promotions (sole contractor of PPV events to bars and such) a nice sum of 32k and change to bring 12 PPV fights to the Air Force base in Texas...

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well said Count

While not a huge UFC fan I do remember their early days of broken bones and mangled bodies. I think many still think of it that way which is not even remotely true today.

They didnt know what to do with it. So the idea of having a no-holds barred full contact fight with guys of different martial arts was a great idea, there werent enough rules to protect folks. It got to the point where UFC could be held in like 2 states before Dana White and his Vegas backers got a hold of it.

They started to build in the rules and the rounds and such for states to sanction it and now? It is the safest of the professional combative sports with the most action. You wouldnt think it is as safe as it is, but really it comes down to one rule when compared to boxing:

MMA Knockout: Fight is stopped, done deal.

Boxing Knockout: You get an 8 count and 10 total seconds to return to your feet, up to 2 times around with 3 knockdown rule.

And THAT is where all the injury comes from. It is quite feasible to get concussed and make it to your feet, manage to get your hands up, and take another beating within 8 seconds. And without the 3 knockdown rule? Boxing could be incredible savage.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To your first point... to me when I say legitimized, it's to the point where they are still "women" fighters, instead of fighters in a different division... If you get what I mean. MMA like has women's divisions in it, but they are always off shoots of the male business... That's what I mean. They aren't Legitimate yet as they are still kind of like a Juniors would be in other sports. They aren't paid the same spotlighted the same... ect.

To the second point. I don't mean to imply that these women don't train for ever single bit of what they have coming for them, and that they don't do it for the love of the sport, I just meant that it seems more like they do it to want to compete in the sport, not to make a 10-15 year career out of it... Which again isn't always their fault because they don't earn what the guys do yet. So they need to make sure they have other avenues.

3rd: I guess that's true, but predominately they guys are going to be more well known than the girls as a whole. And you're right, UFC is MMA for most folks, and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that only gets worse in the states because they seem to be taking over. I started on Strikeforce because I don't buy PPV and I had showtime so that is what I got to watch. I don't catch them as much anymore. Not that I wouldn't watch them I just never seem to see them on. I believe they merged or got bought or something didn't they?

Yeah, Chris Cyborg is who I'm talking about. I forgot that was strikeforce, which makes sense because that is what I was watching at the time. MMA for me is one of those things where the different leagues blend together for me because you have a good chance to see an awesome fight on any of them. When I was big into the Jason Ellis show I used to seek out some of the Mayhem Miller fights, especially in Japan.

I'm not sure honestly what their motivations are in getting into women fighters now is honestly. Deep down I feel like they just realize that others were getting a foothold in the business so they needed to change something to continue to be the leader. The pessimist in me says they want to do a female version of Ultimate fighter and go all hard core housewives on the drama, but I hope not. We'll see. I have nothing against women fighters honestly. Some of the fights I've seen have been ok, but as a whole it just hasn't been there. But at the end of the day, the reason I like MMA is that either guy who enters can win at any time. Lucky punch, unlucky slip, anything can happen and upsets are likely. The same can be said for women fighters too so really the wow factor should be there. But it's still gonna take some time to build the industry.

On a side note.... you'll be happy to know that taxpapers are paying Joe Hand Promotions (sole contractor of PPV events to bars and such) a nice sum of 32k and change to bring 12 PPV fights to the Air Force base in Texas...

Ah gotcha, that is correct, I do not know of any all women MMA businesses.

Oh sure, and at the moment, it is almost impossible for a woman to be a professional fighter as a career. While the guys do get paid, it is still not a significant amount compared to say boxing and contracts are given to fighters, similar to like WWF wrestling. Most of the undercard fighters get paid 10-15k and another 10-15k for the winner. Of that amount, if the fighter is in a stable, he will owe fees for that, etc. Even the boys do not much huge money, but enough to be a full-time fighter at that level.

I am *pretty* sure UFC owns Strikeforce, but dont hold me to that. But I get what you are saying... these phenom ladies are hyped up and then fall off the map. Rousey will be good for the sport. She is hot (sorry but it makes a difference even though it shouldnt), well spoken, and an incredibly dedicated athlete.

I think the motivation is really just expanding their business. While women are not the primary demographic, there are women fans. And certainly the motivation is not limited to gender. I think it is really a safe test bed. Get the two best at the moment (well, 1 best and 1 that can run with her) and see what happens. I would consider it a success and would watch another fight.

For me as the consumer, all I want is good product. If the women can provide that (and they did in my opinion), I am good. Certainly nothing says that the ladies cant compete and if they make the good show? Come on back, I will watch again.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The impression I got in regards to women getting the nod from Dana White and the UFC is from Ronda Rousey herself. It appears that she continually hounded them to get her shot. As I mentioned previously Dana White is on video stating just 12 months prior that women would not be in the UFC.

Great marketing or ???

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The impression I got in regards to women getting the nod from Dana White and the UFC is from Ronda Rousey herself. It appears that she continually hounded them to get her shot. As I mentioned previously Dana White is on video stating just 12 months prior that women would not be in the UFC.

Great marketing or ???

The impression is the same I have as well. Here is this chickie, smokin hot, and a GREAT fighter. In many ways, she may be what Tito Ortiz was for the UFC at its time, only she will lead the way for the women.

The "story" as I know is she begged and begged and Dana kept saying no. And here she is, crushing folks and a great fighter by anyone's standards. It gets to a point where Dana and Co. cant lose any money by having the women's fight. She also has trained with some very notable trainers in the MMA world who spoke up for her. Not to mention both she and her mom are INCREDIBLE Judo players and I *think* her mom was the first American to win a World Judo Championship.

If it fails, so be it, no loss because the rest of the card was solid. If it doesnt fail, well, who knows what it may do to the fan base. More women may become involved in the fighting from training to spectator.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
so dante you are inviting us over for the fights. hah.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
so dante you are inviting us over for the fights. hah.

HA! I do get the bulk of em... It is hard not to respect a sport where you have to have guts just to walk up and where you can blame no one but yourself for any outcome.

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
AP733816083482_t653.jpg

Uggg thats nasty. They can do whatever they want, but I would feel like I was banging a really fit dude.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Uggg thats nasty. They can do whatever they want, but I would feel like I was banging a really fit dude.

Thats TCD's heaven

And I don't watch fighting....not until they remove the fighting and violence. Too many injuries and concussions.