Ben Gordon proves durability again

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Remember during training camp when critics accused Ben Gordon of pouting over failed contract negotiations and milking a jammed big right toe?

Gordon does.

"That was a slap in the face," Gordon said. "Anybody who said that doesn't know me. I was hurt."

And now he's not. In fact, Gordon is poised to be the only Bull to play all 82 games this season, the third time in five seasons the durable guard will accomplish that feat. He has missed just 12 career games.

"I definitely take pride in that," Gordon said. "I think the way I train is a testament to how important this game is to me. I work very hard. I definitely don't like to miss games. So I'm happy that after all that has happened, I've played in all the games again."

Gordon's ability to take a pounding is underrated. The blow he absorbed from Antonio McDyess on his game-winning layup Monday night is another example.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-15-bulls-bits-chicago-apr15,0,6315829.story

J-Mart

Liked Posts:
You go KC Johnson, fix those drones. Nice to know someone in the media is actually watching the Bulls.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
J-Mart wrote:
You go KC Johnson, fix those drones. Nice to know someone in the media is actually watching the Bulls.

Just wait until someone drags up the article of K.C. Johnson accusing Ben Gordon of pouting over failed contract negotiations and milking a jammed big right toe....

Gene

Liked Posts:
Ben is just a super consistent basketball player. It will be hard to find another SG to go next to Rose that scores 21 PPG and plays 82 games per season. Hopefully we figure out a way to keep him.

Fred

Liked Posts:
I also saw that KC had a note about Ben being our leading scorer for 4 straight seasons. He's really come around. He's our one shining light in the community of drones who cover this team.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I think Gordon definitely could have played in preseason if he wanted to, but there was no great purpose in it.

I would bet his refusal to play in preseason and the emergence of Rose is a good portion of why the Bulls opted not to pick up his contract when Gordon blew the deadline and changed his mind.

I would bet if Gordon had played more in that preseason that they would have picked up the option, but his whole refusal to play and managements questions about him really being hurt probably left that slight amount of negative taste in their mouths to push them over the edge.

cool007

Liked Posts:
If that is the case, screw this management.

You have to look at the history of a player. He has been one of the most durable player last 4+ years and is THE MOST Durable player we have so far. He also goes to the free throw line the most of any Bulls player last few years and does take pounding as a lot of times they don't even make calls.

I have been saying this all along but a player like him is NOT EASY to find. He is durable, one of the BEST PURE shooters all around at a 2 guard and he never complains (he has been jerked the most in and out of lineup) yet, he gets all the blame in the world.

1 word comes to mind "UNDER-APPRECIATED".

Give the guy money and send out other guys.

IMO, You have 3 players set for sure for next year (Rose/Gordon/Salmons) now depending on what package we can put together, we can keep 1 of Tyrus/Noah and ship out Deng. I rather keep Hinrich but too much for a backup guard.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
cool007 wrote:
If that is the case, screw this management.

You have to look at the history of a player. He has been one of the most durable player last 4+ years and is THE MOST Durable player we have so far. He also goes to the free throw line the most of any Bulls player last few years and does take pounding as a lot of times they don't even make calls.

I have been saying this all along but a player like him is NOT EASY to find. He is durable, one of the BEST PURE shooters all around at a 2 guard and he never complains (he has been jerked the most in and out of lineup) yet, he gets all the blame in the world.

1 word comes to mind "UNDER-APPRECIATED".

Give the guy money and send out other guys.

IMO, You have 3 players set for sure for next year (Rose/Gordon/Salmons) now depending on what package we can put together, we can keep 1 of Tyrus/Noah and ship out Deng. I rather keep Hinrich but too much for a backup guard.

I don't think it's that simple. Prior to this year, Gordon had basically one really good year in his career 06/07. In 04/05 he had a very memorable year due to the clutch shots, but his overall performance was extraordinarily shaky as he was usually an absolute train wreck early in games.
In 05/06, his overall performance was more steady, but his clutchness disappeared.
In 06/07 he had an outstanding year.
In 07/08 he had played quite a bit worse than 06/07, but still had a decent year.

Deng's years are basically in the exact same pattern.

At this point, management figured that Deng had the same general markers on him as Gordon but was three years younger and had legit size for his position, and he seemed like a guy who would fit in perfectly with Rose, so they bet on Deng offered Gordon what they had left and moved on.

That thought process isn't unreasonable to me. Now this year brings that into doubt, because now Gordon has had a second outstanding year while Deng has had perhaps the worst year of his career and looks injury prone. However, I'm not sure it's fair to blame management for not predicting that Gordon would have the best year of his career and Deng would have the worst when prior to that point their levels of play were similar and Deng seemed like the better fit next to Rose because of his size and off the ball ability.

Now that this thought process has been blown up, we'll see how management puts itself back on a path. The problem is that with the economic collapse, they can no longer move Deng most likely. So they're not in a position where they can easily do anything with Gordon. I think they would definitely swap out the two if possible, but quite simply, it probably isn't possible.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
As for my thoughts that preseason effected their decision on Gordon, I agree it wouldn't necessarily have been a good thought. I'm only speculating anyway.

However, you have a situation where the Bulls have an offer out to Gordon for a long time.

Gordon let's the offer expire.
Gordon changes his mind a day later.

Nothing has really changed in the Bulls financial situation over that day, so if they wanted him a day earlier, they should still want him now. They reportedly think about it real hard are conflicted about it and decide no.

All I can speculate on is that the most recent events that happened put a bad taste in their mouth, and that would be Gordon missing preseason and Gordon letting the deadline pass. My guess is they just felt like "enough with this guy he's not reasonable, we don't want to deal with him for the next 6 years".

I'm obviously just making that up, but it just seems to make the most sense. It was a poor decision to let their emotions get in the way, but they had to have let them get in the way, because there was no tangible economic change in the day between the offer expiring and Gordon saying he changed his mind. It's not like the Bulls had to leave the offer on the table until that day and were hoping he'd say no. They could have pulled it at any time.

Therefore, I think there was something personal going on there when they changed their minds.

cool007

Liked Posts:
Well, what's done, is done. I just hope management doesn't make the same mistake again and I really hope BG is back even if we had to pay Tax THIS year. It's just 1 year IMO.

If it was a player like Tim Thomas/Hughes/Duhon/Gray etc, you don't think twice and let them go somewhere else but player like Gordon, don't grow on trees.

Also, didn't JR said, he doesn't mind paying for a winner? Aren't we a winning team? Aren't we going to the playoffs (meaning more money for JR), so IMO, he should be able to afford BG for this coming year even with the tax.

besides, Jerome James contract is covered by insurance right? So we will be saving money there (JR's pocket).

Fred

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
cool007 wrote:
I don't think it's that simple. Prior to this year, Gordon had basically one really good year in his career 06/07. In 04/05 he had a very memorable year due to the clutch shots, but his overall performance was extraordinarily shaky as he was usually an absolute train wreck early in games.
In 05/06, his overall performance was more steady, but his clutchness disappeared.
In 06/07 he had an outstanding year.
In 07/08 he had played quite a bit worse than 06/07, but still had a decent year.

Deng's years are basically in the exact same pattern.

Doug, I completely disagree with you assertion that he had a shaky year in his rookie year. He almost won the Rookie of the Year award. He won the 6th man of the year award. And he did it in 24 MPG. His 4th quarter performaces more than made up for his early game failures. Anyway you look at it, HE CLEARLY HAD A BETTER YEAR THAN LOUL DENG. At least that's what the votes below say.

2004-05 got milk? NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR AWARD VOTING RESULTS
Player, Team 1st 2nd 3rd Pts
Emeka Okafor, Charlotte 77 40 9 514
Ben Gordon, Chicago 43 73 9 443
Dwight Howard, Orlando 6 11 98 161
Andre Iguodala, Phil 0 2 8 14
Luol Deng, Chicago 0 0 1 1
J.R. Smith, New Orleans 0 0 1 1

Deng couldn't say that about any year where he played next to Gordon. Gordon has basically the same FG percentages this year that he had last year. Except this year, his minutes are up.

Fred

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I would bet his refusal to play in preseason and the emergence of Rose is a good portion of why the Bulls opted not to pick up his contract when Gordon blew the deadline and changed his mind.

I would bet if Gordon had played more in that preseason that they would have picked up the option, but his whole refusal to play and managements questions about him really being hurt probably left that slight amount of negative taste in their mouths to push them over the edge.

The Bulls first preseason game was on 10.9.08. The Bulls pulled the contract off the table before that, and he signed the one-year tender on September 30th or October 1st. When did training camp start? Are you faulting him for not practicing when he hadn't yet signed a contract?

Practicing with the team when you don't have a contract in place is either a violation of the collective bargaining agreement or one of the dumbest possible things a player can do. Tyson Chandler did absolutely nothing for an entire summer and fall in 2005, but that didn't prevent the Bulls to make him a very rich man at the end of September 2005. This was basically the exact same situation. At least Gordon was working out and keeping in shape.

There is no excuse for what the Bulls did. It will go down as one of the dumbest moves in the history of the organization when he walks this summer.

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
People tend to forget how close Ben was to getting that ROY back then. My Jordan he was brilliant late in games. He manufactored shots that were just crazy, and they went down with consistency.

As for the contract talks..

If Ben Gordon rejects a fair deal due to the bad taste in his mouth last year, then I won't blame the Bulls, but I'll understand why Gordon declined. If the Bulls low-ball him, or doesn't even show any sign of wanting to keep him, then I blame the Bulls and, like Fred, call it one hell of a screw-up. You'd be left with the two worst players of your previous three-headed monster which is downright stupid.

Fred

Liked Posts:
Morten Jensen wrote:
People tend to forget how close Ben was to getting that ROY back then. My Jordan he was brilliant late in games. He manufactored shots that were just crazy, and they went down with consistency.

http://www.82games.com/clutchplayers.htm

That says it all. Number 2 that year, behind Kobe. A 4th quarter performer is infinitely more valuable than a guy who plays well in the beginning of games, then chokes at the end. The defense ramps up at the end of games. AND HE DID THIS WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF FOUL CALLS. It was an absolutely incredible year.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

The Bulls first preseason game was on 10.9.08. The Bulls pulled the contract off the table before that, and he signed the one-year tender on September 30th or October 1st. When did training camp start? Are you faulting him for not practicing when he hadn't yet signed a contract?

Practicing with the team when you don't have a contract in place is either a violation of the collective bargaining agreement or one of the dumbest possible things a player can do. Tyson Chandler did absolutely nothing for an entire summer and fall in 2005, but that didn't prevent the Bulls to make him a very rich man at the end of September 2005. This was basically the exact same situation. At least Gordon was working out and keeping in shape.

There is no excuse for what the Bulls did. It will go down as one of the dumbest moves in the history of the organization when he walks this summer.

I agree with this. Rookie Year, Gordon was miles ahead of Deng, and the main catalyst for the Bulls resurgence. In 05-06, Deng was an afterthought. The trio that led us into the playoffs was Hinrich-Gordon-Nocioni. In 06-07, when Deng actually stepped up and put together a good year, Gordon was better, putting up the best year by any Bull post-Jordan. In 07-08, Gordon was averaging 20.2 PPG on the season before the Hughes trade, at which point his minutes got slashed, culminating in a 22 MPG April! Gordon had a TS% that was good, Deng's wasn't very acceptable. Gordon, again, clearly better. In 08-09, Deng has been a joke (I don't think anyone will argue with this), while Gordon has been great, putting up the second best season by a Bull since Jordan.

There was not a point in their careers where Deng was better than Gordon imo. I agreed with the signing of Luol Deng, but always thought Ben Gordon should have been the first priority, because he is so much better. I wanted them both signed, but if it came down to one or the other, Gordon was the guy getting the contract, if I was the GM.

I think what Gordon is doing was entirely predictable. Here is what I wrote about Gordon on October 12th, before the season.

Gordon will try to recover from a disappointing season. Gordon wasn’t terrible, finishing with averages of 18.6 PPG and 3.0 APG on good scoring efficiency, but he wasn’t great either. Gordon was actually averaging 20.2 PPG on the season when the Bulls made the Ben Wallace trade. After the Bulls made the trade, Jim Boylan severely slashed Gordon’s minutes, leading to his season averages dropping at the end of the season. Despite being Boylan’d, Gordon was by far the Bulls best player last season.

So why was the Bulls’ best player unable to secure a long term deal? Despite being the Bulls best player, Gordon still took a step back from 2006-2007. In 2006-2007, Gordon averaged 21.4 PPG and 3.6 APG with one of the top scoring efficiencies in the league. To build on his already impressive season, Gordon averaged 25.5 PPG and 5.5 APG as he led the Bulls over the Miami Heat in the Bulls’ first playoff series sweep and win since Michael Jordan retired. Gordon was expected to take that big leap forward towards stardom rather than that baby step backwards. Still, it is encouraging that Gordon only took a baby step backwards when the rest of the team took multiple steps backwards.

Gordon looks poised to be the Bulls’ best player again this season and he is expected to play a large role on the team. Vinny Del Negro told 670 the Score, that he would welcome Ben back with open arms, even if he is on the qualifying offer. Vinny said that he really wants Ben on the team, that Ben will be a big part of what the Bulls do, and that he expects Ben to have a big year to show what type of player he is on both sides of the court. It seems that Del Negro wants to use Gordon, who will want to play extraordinarily well to secure a lucrative contract, as a catalyst to get the Bulls back into a winning basketball team. The $59 million…$54 million question is whether Gordon will be playing his ~32 minutes as a starter or off the bench.

There is very little chance that Gordon will disrupt the team’s chemistry this season. What is Gordon going to do to hurt the team, shoot the ball over and over again? That’s what Ben Gordon does, so the Bulls probably get better as he shoots more.

Next to Derrick Rose, Gordon should be really really good. There are some concerns about the size of the backcourt as Gordon will be a “defensive liability”, but the attacks on Gordon’s defense are overstated. Gordon does the small things on defense that you want out of your players, such as closing out on shooters. The one time where Chauncey Billups posted Gordon up in the playoffs sticks out in people’s minds. (Even though, if you look at the box scores, Billups didn’t score more than you would expect from him in that series). The Jason Kidd-Vince Carter scenario sticks out in people’s minds, as so many people watched that game where we blew the #2 seed against the Nets in 2006-2007, although that back court no longer exists in the NBA. Gordon getting abused on defense has never been a regular occurrence, Gordon has been on some of the best defenses of the past 10 years. What was a regular occurrence last season was the Bulls weak interior defense repeatedly being abused.

Offensively, there is not many better shooting guards to put next to Rose than Gordon. Rose needs a great shooter next to him, and pairing him with the 10th best three point shooter would be a logical idea. Kirk Hinrich is not a very good shooter and Larry Hughes and Thabo Sefolosha are horrible shooters, so Ben Gordon should be the starting shooting guard if we are starting Derrick Rose. There is an argument that Hinrich’s shooting percentages aren’t that low. Here’s the deal, Ben Gordon was a more efficient shooter than Hinrich while fielding double teams, while Hinrich took his shots wide open. Gordon’s ceiling next to another player who can draw defensive attention away from Gordon is very high. There is no use playing Kirk Hinrich, Thabo Sefolosha, and Larry Hughes big minutes next to Derrick Rose as they have a 0% chance of ever being the long term solution for shooting guard next to Rose. Gordon, however, could be the long term solution next to Derrick Rose. If you have watched summer league and the early preseason games, it is clear that Rose can set up guys for good looks. The problem is that these guys keep missing those wide open shots. For the sanity of Bulls fans, Del Negro should put the one guy on the Bulls roster who can actually make those shots consistently next to Rose.

Gordon will likely be a very good player throughout the course of an entire game, but will he recapture his clutch heroics from his first two seasons in the league. In his first two seasons in the league, Ben Gordon was one of the most clutch player in the league, and also one of the best players at hitting game winning shots, behind only Carmelo Anthony. These past two years, Gordon has remained one of the league’s top clutch players, but he has had difficulty converting on those game winning shot attempts. If Derrick Rose can draw some defensive attention away from Gordon in the clutch, Gordon will probably return as one of the best player’s in the NBA to have the ball in their hands as the final seconds tick down on the game clock.

Bulls fans should expect a circus around Ben Gordon this season. Every time he has a bad game, the loaded words of “midget” and “defensive liability” will likely find their way into the narrative. If he has an 8 point game after having 9 straight 20 point games, he will still be lambasted. Despite this circus surrounding Gordon and his contract uncertainty, Ben Gordon should have a big season for the Bulls next year.

cool007

Liked Posts:
Completely Agree with Both of you P03 and Fred.

I actually couldn't have said better myself.

IMO, before this year, Hinrich/Deng were VERY HIGHLY regarded players over Gordon and pretty much everyone Coaching staff (whoever we had), Media, front office and a lot of fans. All were really high on Deng and Hinrich and Gordon was just (has been) under-appreciated - it's not even funny.

Even in that down year (07-08), he was STILL balling and still averaged about 20 a game with good efficiency. While Hinrich and Deng were far worse and had so many more bad games.

But still BG got the worse of it with NO CONTRACT while both Hinrich and Deng got SUPER Rich.

This is why I hope Bulls make up for it and pay the man - even if we had to trade Deng and/or Hinrich.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
I saw this today and I remember when the silly idea that he was sitting out in retaliation was being talked about. Just moronic.

Good to see KC talk so glowingly about Ben now.

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
I think both Doug and Fred/Morten are right. Gordon was certainly clutch as hell in his rookie season, but I remember Skiles, even after BG's 4th quarter heroics, would criticize him by saying he needs to 'bring it' the entire game, and not just the 4th quarter.

Also, remember the first month or so of his rookie season, he was playing some awful basketball. It was still obviously a very good rookie season, but I could see why some think it was also a shaky one.

And Fred, he's not walking this summer. He will sign will the Bulls.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
haha, i love how in your article, you say gordon was boylan'd

i think john paxson REALLY wants to bring gordon back, but reinsdorf is being himself.

i actually see gordon coming back next year. he's not a selfish guy, as shown by all his teammates loving him, and i think pax loves him too

he's an efficient scorer, hard to come by in this league. i mean for god's sake, he shot 3-14 a couple of weeks ago and got 18 points, and still won the game for the bulls. which of course brings me to how clutch he is. ben gordon has hit virtually every play that we have needed him to hit at the end of games.

fred mentioned that 82 games article, and he's even a more clutch player now. he just goes crazy from three, and even in games where he hasn't hit the winning shot (which idk if there even have been any) he scored pretty much every point in the fourth.

if derrick rose had given those shots that he's taken to bg7, we would probably have more like 48-50 games, and been way up there. if derrick rose doesn't develop that clutchness, ben gordon would be the absolutely perfect choice to be next to rose, cuz gordon could be the clutch player.

if gordon was 2-3 inches taller, he'd be an all-star and every fan in the nba would love him. he just gets a bad rap cuz he's considered short, although he's really not that short. gordon would be considered a no-lose. i think he'd probably be considered a less athletic vince carter, and be loved the same way.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
bullsman24, I agree with most of what you said, but Ben Gordon actually is really short. However, he does make up for it with long arms and great strength. He is short, but that isn't really all that important because of his other features.

The only problem Ben has, is that he can't really shoot over the 6'6" shooting guards like say, John Salmons does. John Salmons, with a defender on him, will often just measure up a shot, because he can see over the player. Ben can't really do that, unless a point guard's on him, and that's really the only thing where I think Ben's height actually affects him.