Is there a doctor in the house?

Fred

Liked Posts:
Did anyone read that interview with Deng yesterday in the Tribune? He hasn't shot a basketball since February. Is there anyone with medical experience on this Forum? Is this the slowest healing injury in the history of basketball? Has someone ever had a stress fracture? What is the average healing time?

I just can't believe that it's still so bad, that he can't even walk on a court to shoot a jumper.

cool007

Liked Posts:
:lol:

Haaha haaaaaaaaaaaa.

I was thinking the same thing. They said it was so small that they had to use X-Ray and MRI to actually find out closely.

How can a Doctor say that it takes couple of weeks to a month heal but now it's been about 3 months and he is still not recovered yet??? I mean is he that hurt to even shoot jumpers???

Put a fork in Deng "He IS DONE".

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
That's pretty ridiculous. He should be working on his shooting while in a chair then.

That's what LaMarcus Aldridge did when he screwed up his hip.

Anyway, a stress fracture typically takes 3+ months to heal from what I've heard, so I don't think his healing time is unusual. I get all my medical knowledge from "the biggest loser" where one of the contestants just had a stress fracture and was talking about how they had to stop working out for 3 months.

Actually, wikipedia (never wrong of course) also says 3-4 months.

AirP

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
That's pretty ridiculous. He should be working on his shooting while in a chair then.

That's what LaMarcus Aldridge did when he screwed up his hip.

Anyway, a stress fracture typically takes 3+ months to heal from what I've heard, so I don't think his healing time is unusual. I get all my medical knowledge from "the biggest loser" where one of the contestants just had a stress fracture and was talking about how they had to stop working out for 3 months.

Actually, wikipedia (never wrong of course) also says 3-4 months.

I'd have him doing nothing and keeping any weight off that stress fracture. I'm not really sure what shooting baskets from a chair does for you other then gets you ansy to get up and shoot a basket. I took over a year off of basketball when I snapped my achilies tendon in half and it took very little time to get my shot decent(that's all my shot ever was), the only thing that was bad was my confidence since I knew I hadn't been shooting a ball and I very well doubt me shooting from a chair could have helped that.

Now... if Noah had the leg fracture, it would be a golden oppertunity to get him use to shooting the ball the correct way, but for Deng... I'm not to worried, the only 2 things that will be a factor after a couple of practice sessions... 1. His conditioning and 2. his confidence.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Now... if Noah had the leg fracture, it would be a golden oppertunity to get him use to shooting the ball the correct way, but for Deng... I'm not to worried, the only 2 things that will be a factor after a couple of practice sessions... 1. His conditioning and 2. his confidence.

Fair point. I believe with Lamarcus they just had him shooting lefty the whole time I want to say, and he improved his left hand that way, but you're right it probably doesn't help you much especially if you have good form, because the angle and feel of the shot is so different.