Bulls backcourt among best in NBA (+ BG contract)

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
When the Bulls were battling to hold off the Boston Celtics down the stretch in regulation of Game 1 of the Eastern Conference playoffs Saturday, it was Derrick Rose and Ben Gordon scoring 23 of the Bulls 26 fourth quarter points.

The backcourt pair was eight of 14 while the rest of the team was one of 10. They hit all six of their free throws, three each.

For the game, they combined for 56 of the team's 105 points, shooting a combined 18 for 36 and converting 19 of 20 free throws between them of the team's 20 of 22. They had 16 of the team's 20 assists.

It's not just stopping Rose, who was the star of Saturday's game with 36 points. It's stopping the Bulls' backcourt.

That will be the Celtics' goal to win the series, keeping a Chicago backcourt which may be one of the best in the NBA in check.

Could it be?

And could this be the last we see of it?

Gordon is an unrestricted free agent after the season and can seek a new deal with any team. There's been talk of the Bulls re-signing him, or a sign-and-trade deal or Gordon just leaving with compensation. The latter option is in question because of so few teams below the salary cap, though the Pistons have said to have interest. Others that do are mostly losing teams, like Memphis and Oklahoma City. Good teams, like Cleveland, could offer an exception deal starting at about $5 million, presumably much less than the Bulls would offer.

Gordon said he realizes this could be his last playoffs with the Bulls, but that he plans to retain all options and hasn't made any decisions regarding his future.

Both Rose and Gordon say they enjoy playing together and feel they complement one another well.

"I'm happy he's here," says Rose. "He opens the lane. Everybody has to stick. You can't double team knowing you cannot leave him open. He can get hot real quick. I'm happy I'm playing with him now and I hope he's here for awhile."

Said Gordon of Rose: "I think we have a luxury to have a backcourt like me and Derrick. You have two players who can make big plays in key situations in the game. I know early in my career that was something we struggled with. Having multiple guys out there who can make plays. Everyone knew I was always going to take the last shot. Now you have someone like Derrick who can make a big play or get an easy basket at the end of the game. I definitely love playing with him and I want to win."

But business is business, and the Bulls and Gordon agreed last summer to pursue business after this season.

"I thought about that (it being the last run with the Bulls) the day I signed the tender," said Gordon. "That this could be the last year because it's a one year deal. It's not an extension. In actuality it could be my last year playing basketball (because of no contract)."

Gordon then paused for effect.

"No, just joking," he laughed.

"But anytime you're put in a position like this that's the reality," said Gordon. "I've always said my options are open. I never close any doors. Obviously, I want to win. That's always my priority. It's tough to say now when you don't know what's going to happen. I think it's an organization chance to see what they want to do.

"I'm disappointed by the way they handled everything," said Gordon "But at the end of the day it's a business. Sometimes you have to separate your emotions from what the business is. I feel I can do that. Like I said, I haven't closed any options. You don't forget things that happened. But you have to separate your feelings from yourself. There are two sides to it.

"It's hard to find a team with two guys who can control the game in the fourth quarter and make plays. It's something to think about (for both sides)."

So how good are Rose and Gordon? They are the second highest scoring backcourt combination in the NBA. They averaged a combined 37.5 points per game, second to Devin Harris and Vince Carter at 42.1 per game. Yet, the Nets didn't make the playoffs and Carter is on the downhill side of his career.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_090420.html

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
I just can't believe that Gordon's future is really up in the air. Instead of the Bulls saying they will try to re-sign Gordon, they should be saying, "We will do whatever it takes to retain Ben Gordon".

Derrick Rose needs to go in and yell at management, telling them to bring him back. That backcourt is too special to let go, especially since Rose isn't anywhere close to reaching his potential yet...it's only going to get better.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Can they leave Ben and let him focus on the playoffs. He will get his deal done and be back in Chicago, Pax will make sure JR knows this team needs him.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
I would be more confident in Gordon coming back if I knew JR was willing to pay luxury tax for just one to bring him back. I want to have a Rose, Gordon, Deng, Bosh, Noah, Hinrich, Salmons,Asik 8 man group in 2010-2011. I think that is a contender for an Eastern Conference championship.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Basghetti80 wrote:
I would be more confident in Gordon coming back if I knew JR was willing to pay luxury tax for just one to bring him back. I want to have a Rose, Gordon, Deng, Bosh, Noah, Hinrich, Salmons,Asik 8 man group in 2010-2011. I think that is a contender for an Eastern Conference championship.

Wow that team would have no bulk what so ever. Amare is the guy not Bosh. As for Gordon he comes back Bulls will look to package a pick with Kirk or Tim to unload some money.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
We have a top five backcourt. Our front court doesn't score so it's obvious Rose and Gordon keep us in it.