I cant believe he did it again

rosefromconcrete

Liked Posts:
I don't mean to keep talking about the same point, but this loss can be blamed on vdn. No timeouts, poor personal decisions, etc. However, whats more disappointing is the lack of media coverage on these issues. I feel like its the iraq war again. Only bloggers point out his huge flaws...the man actually got a Coach of the Year vote (probably from Neil Funk or Stacey King).

Also, I dont want to blame the refs, but we didnt get a single non-obvious call all game. Derrick's first foul didnt happen and that set the tone. As for Perkins, he committed an offensive foul on virtually every one of his offensive rebounds. Having said that, we didnt fight hard enough to get in position and our back court has to rebound better...a lot of those rebounds were long rebounds that cant be blamed on our big men.

However, despite Tyrus's poor rebounding, I think Brad Miller can be blamed for much of our rebounds. When Miller is on the floor, especially after 17 consecutive minutes, our rotations are always a step slow which results in everyone else being out of position. Of course, he is a better rebounder than tyrus, but if Boston moves the ball well, then he is usually out of position.

Vdn's biggest crime wasnt wasting all of our timeouts, but failing to make a single defensive adjustment all night. Boston was switching onto BG every possession and forcing him to make incredibly difficult shots every time. How did we adjust to Allen??? We didn't. BG kept chasing him without help until the last shot where Noah rotated onto him.

Finally, our players didnt show the greatest defensive awareness. There was a play where Perkins got a defensive rebound and Noah trapped. This was successful and Perkins couldnt get rid of the ball for 5 or 6 seconds. Our guards need to be aware that this is taking place and try to force a turn over. Instead, when he finally got the pass off, Boston was able to casually dribble the ball over half court with no pressure (without pressure it still took them 7 seconds).

Despite all this, we almost won. Ever Boston Starter played well. Pierce was solid, but not spectacular and you cant expect Big Baby, who is terrible, to continue shooting about 65% or Perkins to hit 10 foot hook shots while jumping into Noah. I really do think we are going to the series if vdn can manage to take his game from a F to a D+.

rosefromconcrete

Liked Posts:
sorry for the poor grammar...I was in a hurry and didnt proof read. I meant to say that I think we will win if vdn can manage to bring his D game instead of his F game.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I can't put all the blame on VDN. He needs to start saving his timeouts some, but as you pointed out, it's not the worst crime. What's a crime about it is how obvious it is that it needs to be done, and yet he doesn't do it. Game after game, it's the same little mistake.

I was talking to a friend who brought up Lovie Smith and his challenges. He just challenges important plays even though it's obvious we'll lose the challenge. It's like he thinks the challenge is a reversal instead of a chance to see what happened. It doesn't change a play you don't like. It changes a play that's wrong, but he calls them on plays he doesn't like.

It's not the worst thing, because it will rarely ever come back to bite him, but there are times where it will, and those times will be heartbreaking.

VDN and the timeouts is the same way. Most times it won't make a difference, but the times it does are heart breaking.

The biggest adjustment we needed to make was to figure out a way to keep them off the glass, and we weren't able to do that really. I also agree with you, he can't keep Brad Miller in there for as long as he does, even if other guys aren't playing well, you need to limit how much you use Miller especially in large chunks of consecutive time.

Hoover

Liked Posts:
Not having a timeout last night was awful. It was one those games where it felt like BG would come down and nail a three to send it in to overtime, but no, Vinny does it again. I don't think that's the reason we lost the game, but it's so disappointing. The problem with Vinny is there's really nothing he does that helps the bulls win games. Maybe that's true of many coaches around the league, I don't know. I wonder what Mike James really does to win games?
Anyway, we lost because of rebounding. I'm hoping Rose watches some tape and realizes what he has to do on Rondo. He's gotta box that marg out. Yes, marg.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Rose was trying to break instead of boxing out.

That's an iffy proposition, because if we get the rebound and get the ball to him while Rondo goes to the offensive glass then we're going to be in great position to score.

If we give up the offensive rebound then they are in great position to score.

That's one of those things where you have to wait to see who adjusts to who or if both teams live with the results. If Rose had gotten 5 layups by breaking right away, then Rondo would have had to get his butt back on defense and give up the offensive glass, but it didn't work out that way this game.

Fred

Liked Posts:
The Celtics had 21 offensive rebounds. They had 8 in the first quarter. Kendrick Perkins by himself had 7. The Bulls as a team had 8.

Miller is, BY FAR, our best fundamental defensive rebounder. We were well on our way to a blowout loss until he came in. Ben Gordon was the only reason we were in that game last night. It took 42 points to keep it close.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
The Celtics had 21 offensive rebounds. They had 8 in the first quarter. Kendrick Perkins by himself had 7. The Bulls as a team had 8.

Miller is, BY FAR, our best fundamental defensive rebounder. We were well on our way to a blowout loss until he came in. Ben Gordon was the only reason we were in that game last night. It took 42 points to keep it close.

Can't argue with that, but I still don't think you can play Miller for huge chunks of consecutive time without getting him worn down at the end. You need Tyrus and Noah to rebound better.

I think this is one of those situations where we miss Deng too, Deng was a good rebounding SF, and while Salmons has been a very good scorer, he's not a big rebounder.

Poohdini fan#1

Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
Miller is, BY FAR, our best fundamental defensive rebounder. We were well on our way to a blowout loss until he came in.

This is true but our entire team got killed on the glass. even when when miller was in the game they still got way too many off rebounds. Our back court needs to get some of those long rebounds and not let rando get all of them.