OT: The Pistons

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Wow what an embarrassment. Dont know what else to say. This series will be a sweep.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
I stopped watching after Lebron dunk. I turned it on when they had 20 points with like 3 minutes left in 2 and I was LMAO

TheStig

Liked Posts:
They have been losing pieces for years. You just knew their window closed after we got Ben Wallace and they could only get a washed up Nazr to fill in. Staying under the lt killed them as they have lost Okur, Ben Wallace and Billups for nothing (yeah ai to them was nothing). If they would have at least not drafted a bust in 03, they probably would have had another title.

rodman

Liked Posts:
yep the Darko-Fiasco is what is really killing them, imagine Carmelo or Wade or Bosh on that team wow! Hindsight is not kind most of the time.
The better part though is who would want to join that trainwreck out of the 2010 free agents? Rodney Stuckey, Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince, sounds not very attractive.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
The Pistons should've held on to Billups and let Stucky come off the bench as their sixth man. They traded Billup for capspace in order to land a guy in 2010, but they're not as attractive as they were in the start of the season. I would think the Bulls are in a better position to land a big when compared to the Pistons by a long shot.

Thanks for mortgaging the future of your team on Rodney Stuckey, Joe.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
The Pistons were old and going nowhere with Billups, I think trading him for cap space was a gamble worth taking. It probably wont work, but staying as they were certainly wasn't going to work. I'll take a small chance of success over zero chance.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I think trading Billups was an okay move.

There's an old adage in sports as a general manager, better to trade a guy a year too early than a year too late.

I think the Pistons knew even with Billups their window was closed, and rather than try to reconstruct a new window around Billups and Hamilton they decided to rebuild.

I mean the team's frontcourt is McDyess and Wallace, both of whom are at the end of their ropes. What were they going to do in the next couple years with Billups, Hamilton, Stuckey, Prince and no front court?

We'll see if ultimately their moves will pay off, but I think they were on the road to nowhere on their present path.

DASMACKDOWN

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I think trading Billups was an okay move.

There's an old adage in sports as a general manager, better to trade a guy a year too early than a year too late.

I think the Pistons knew even with Billups their window was closed, and rather than try to reconstruct a new window around Billups and Hamilton they decided to rebuild.

I mean the team's frontcourt is McDyess and Wallace, both of whom are at the end of their ropes. What were they going to do in the next couple years with Billups, Hamilton, Stuckey, Prince and no front court?

We'll see if ultimately their moves will pay off, but I think they were on the road to nowhere on their present path.

I agree with the points but I believe that the Pistons just made the wrong deal.

You would have to believe that Joe Dumars thought that just trading Billups for Iverson would have the Pistons at least in contention this year and looking good for next year.

But what it left then with was a bad team looking old, with no chemisty and having to rebuild from absolute scratch.

Now as we know and have been through, that isnt always the best move. The post Jordan years are exhibit A.

It seems to be its always better to rebuild on the fly rather than just start completely over.

The Pistons are betting the farm that next season they can grab Bosh or Amare or Boozer. If they get none of those guys, they look like one of the worst teams in the east by far next year.

The thing is, people have a short memory and it will be hard to convince people next year that the Billups team was done when they are winning 20 games next year.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I agree with you to an extent, I'm not saying it was necessarily the right move, and we don't know what else was on the table for Billups. I'm just saying breaking up that group wasn't a bad idea in general.

I think Detroit has a good chance to land Amare if they want him.

Detroit offers 1st round pick + 15 million dollar trade exception for Amare. That would have to be awfully appealing wouldn't it? Suns instantly get out of the luxury tax. and save something like 20 million in cash the next year.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
rodman wrote:
yep the Darko-Fiasco is what is really killing them, imagine Carmelo or Wade or Bosh on that team wow! Hindsight is not kind most of the time.
The better part though is who would want to join that trainwreck out of the 2010 free agents? Rodney Stuckey, Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince, sounds not very attractive.
Its not even that. If they paid the LT they could have had a front court of the Wallaces and Okur. That is much better than Sheed, McDyess and Kwame Brown. I am fairly sure they would still be in the ECF.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
Two things

1. Drafting Darko

2. Trading Chauncey Billups

Billups / Stuckey
Wade / Rip
Prince
Sheed
McDyss / Maxiell

Thats a nasty 8 man rotation.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Wow what an embarrassment. Dont know what else to say. This series will be a sweep.

Indeed, this team blows, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I predicted sweep too. Might be the only thing i predict right :laugh: