I don't think we're really very different from the Lions

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
We like to make fun of the Lions for being derpy, they had the division on a silver platter and choked it away. So did we, twice. Choking in the second half is nothing new to this team. The previous years we've started 7-1 and 7-3 and failed to make the playoffs. Even when we had a great defense I remember us choking and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. The Tebow game comes to mind. The Chiefs game where Tyler Palko completes a late second hail mary when Chris Conte bats the ball into the receivers hands. The Seattle game where Russell Wilson carved us up.

It's starting to become a worrying trend, us choking in the second half of the season. Is anybody else worried about that or is it just me? I just don't understand how you as a veteran team can know that you need to win 1 out of the final 2 games and manage to lose both of them. That's very Lions-y to me. Talent wise, we're better than that. Is it a lack of leadership in the locker room? a coaching failure? What causes this nonsense.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
In 2011, The Bears beat 2 playoff teams the entire season.
They beat Atlanta in Week 1 and Detroit in Week 10.

They lost to New Orleans, GB (2x), Denver, and Detroit

Mind you if Cutler doesn't break his thumb I think they beat Denver and then them and Detroit do not become playoff teams.

In 2012, The Bears beat two playoff teams. They beat the Colts in Week 1 and the Vikings in Week 12
They lost to the Packers (2x), Houston, San Francisco, Seattle, and Minnesota.

This year, the Bears beat one playoff team (2 if you count the Rodgerless Packers). The beat the Bengals in Week 1.

They lost to New Orleans, Philly, and Green Bay

Seems this team hasn't changed in 3 years concerning beating playoff teams. And in reality has had trouble beating any playoff teams over a long period of time. The 2006 team only played 2 playoff teams the entire season. They beat Seattle, lost to New England. The 2010 team beat Philly, GB, lost to Seattle, New England, GB.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
i get your dismay, but talent wise defensively that are not better than that.

I get your dismay, but defensively they are not better than that. This team came within 11 pts of an all time team record for scoring, but gave up team records in scoring and yards allowed.

Reactions: Myk

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
I said this in a thread I started last night. I think the Bears have fallen into a level of mediocrity that started in 1986 and they are not figuring out how to climb out of it. They hire guys like Lovie who did wonders with defense and ST, but failed miserably with offense. Now they appear to have fixed the offense but the defense and ST completely fail. And yes injuries matter, but it seems when you are mediocre in pro sports it tends to stay that way because of the big money involved. So when you make a bad move, either coaching hire, or high draft bust, you are stuck with that for years.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't think ive seen a bears defense this bad in my lifetime. the lions have a good d not great but their good at this point all that's holding them back imho is coaching while on our side its a total and complete lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball. I don't think that makes us like the lions

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't think ive seen a bears defense this bad in my lifetime. the lions have a good d not great but their good at this point all that's holding them back imho is coaching while on our side its a total and complete lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball. I don't think that makes us like the lions

The constant and chronic choking doesn't make us like the Lions?

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem with the Bears is that they are too slow/inept on making coaching changes..We squandered a great d waiting to get an offense. Turner-Martz-Tice..Now we have an offense and if they retain Tucker they will probably squander a great offense waiting to make a change there. Its like one of the other with them..Maybe for once they can get it together and get a decent DC this off season?

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
One year under Trestman. Enough years to know Schwartz is a loser. I don't see it. Let's see how Emery rebuilds the defense at least. An Angelo/Smith-free starter era of a Chicago Bears team, then we can start sleeping in the cellar.

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
I've been watching the Bears for 50 years and can say for certain, this is the worst Bears defense in my lifetime. Nothing comes close.

It is, the best offense by far. Nothing comes close.

Nick80

I think it's the poorest Bears D in 90 years I think. Or a similar stat to the same degree.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
but its not about the D guys, its about an inherent choking mentality that I fear this team has through 2 differenmt head coaches. We choked under Lovie Smith too, thats kinda partly why he got fired.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many times yesterday did the O have to come back to regain a 1 point lead only to have the D squander it?. It was like trying to catch water with a screen door

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
but its not about the D guys, its about an inherent choking mentality that I fear this team has through 2 differenmt head coaches. We choked under Lovie Smith too, thats kinda partly why he got fired.
Cause its either one of the other with the Bears...Either the O choked under Lovie, or the D chokes under Trestman

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:

Right. A year ago. Can we at least give a HC 3 years before we start comparing the Bears to the Lions?
Lions fans got to be happy most of the year, only to have the zepplin crash and burn, as it normally does.

At least Bears fans had a roller coaster ride. They lost a chance to win the division. Swept by the Lions. Then, they start winning games with our backup. Back in the hunt. Playing for the division title at home, which means playoffs. Hope crushed.

I'll take the roller coaster over the Titanic.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Right. A year ago. Can we at least give a HC 3 years before we start comparing the Bears to the Lions?
Lions fans got to be happy most of the year, only to have the zepplin crash and burn, as it normally does.

At least Bears fans had a roller coaster ride. They lost a chance to win the division. Swept by the Lions. Then, they start winning games with our backup. Back in the hunt. Playing for the division title at home, which means playoffs. Hope crushed.

I'll take the roller coaster over the Titanic.

I'm not comparing the Marc Trestman Bears to the Lions. I'm comparing the Lovie Smith/Marc Trestman Bears to the Lions. Time and again when opportunity presents itself we fail to cpitalize on it. And I think Scoot is right, the one constant that has remained is our inability to beat the elite teams.

We always seem to start the season pretty hot and then trail off in the second half, every year.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Simply put, its not choking when you get beat by someone who is better than you. The Packers/Eagles offensive scheme and player roster is far better than the Bears defensive roster and scheme. On top of that they were outcoached in both games....I don't consider that choking. Detroit is the flipside of that...they lost at home with the better team and they've done it multiple times.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, one difference is that Trestman was brought in to fix the Offense, the Defense was suppose to be fine, then boom injuries to key players and they fell apart. Lovie had years to fix his issues with the Offense, he never could. You have to give Trestman/Emery a bit of time to fix the D. I suspect, given how quickly they addressed the Offense (two years) that they will get a handle on the Defense as well. For you, is a one or two year turn around soon enough?

I really believe the injuries took them by surprise.

Now Detroit has a loooooooong history of keeping inept gm's and coaches. I suspect Schwartz will be there another decade. <---- The Schwartz is gone, I stand corrected.

Edit: We never had the offense to beat Elite teams. Now we have the offense and the D falls apart. Weird turn of events for sure.

Last edited:

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
The constant and chronic choking doesn't make us like the Lions?

not really in a small way yes but the difference is they actually have talent on both sides of the ball they choke because of bad coaching. where as whats been killing us for the last ten years was no talent on offense they finally fix that and our defense falls off the cliff we have all seen coming for 3 or 4 years

Moose27

Liked Posts:
I do not like to compare us to Detroit at all but there are similarities to the Lions. I feel like this team is just stuck. We are not good enough to make it in the playoffs and beat playoff teams but we are not bad enough to get higher drafts like a top 10. Granted we have drafted pretty poorly in the last 20 years but you never know what can happen with a pick in that area. I am still not sold on Phil Emery as a good GM. He has done well in drafting offensive players like Alshon, Kyle Long and Jordan Mills but what has he shown on the defensive side?

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do not like to compare us to Detroit at all but there are similarities to the Lions. I feel like this team is just stuck. We are not good enough to make it in the playoffs and beat playoff teams but we are not bad enough to get higher drafts like a top 10. Granted we have drafted pretty poorly in the last 20 years but you never know what can happen with a pick in that area. I am still not sold on Phil Emery as a good GM. He has done well in drafting offensive players like Alshon, Kyle Long and Jordan Mills but what has he shown on the defensive side?
nothing as of yet but the o has been his focus imho