2014 NBA Draft>>Chicago Bulls

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Strength will be an issue, as noted in the video posted, but I think in terms of immediate impact he can definitely contribute. He's got offensive skill so he's going to help us regardless of how he adjusts. I trust under Thibs that he'll be a great team defender and that he can bulk up a little along the way. He's got tools for sure. The question is whether he can fully blossom into a second star for us or if he's just another good role player. I don't think the strength thing will be as much of a factor as his ability to put the ball in the basket. Though, the two are intertwined a little.

Saw this video a few days ago too. Great scouting report imo.

That's kind of what I'm saying. That's going to affect his ability to finish inside the basket on drives, get rebounds(offensively and defensively), get position on post ups,etc. It can go a long way towards making him a versatile offensive player. Can't forget about defense as well.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Nikola = Ryan Anderson?

i'd be happy with that

Mirotic's advantage is that his offensive game will translate well to the current trends in the NBA. Teams are desperate for floor spacers and his ability to score efficiently and operate off of pick and pops will be critical for the Bulls going forward, especially if Rose takes an eternity to come back again. If the Bulls are somehow able to make the numbers work with Mirotic's buyout and subsequent salary requirements (I think with what he's been able to do in Spain, he'll probably ask for more than the MLE, so the Bulls may be hard-pressed to add anything outside of him and whoever their draft pick(s) end up being), he makes Boozer completely expendable. With such a large expiring deal, we can only hope the Bulls are able to bring in another shooter who can move well without the ball and some help off the bench.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
It's not just what he's done in Spain. He's in a pretty good bargaining position with the state of the team.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
word is his team is about to counter our offer

we very well may never get him...wouldnt that be something lol

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

That's definitely something the Bulls need to weigh when they enter this offseason. If they end up landing Charlotte's pick and can dangle that, plus the rights to Mirotic and maybe Boozer's expiring deal, the Bulls could end up with enough to land a superstar like Kevin Love to throw next to Rose (if he's ever healthy again), Noah, Butler, and Gibson.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's definitely something the Bulls need to weigh when they enter this offseason. If they end up landing Charlotte's pick and can dangle that, plus the rights to Mirotic and maybe Boozer's expiring deal, the Bulls could end up with enough to land a superstar like Kevin Love to throw next to Rose (if he's ever healthy again), Noah, Butler, and Gibson.
Would you trade a star for an expiring contract, a mid-late 1st rounder, and a Euro stud who might never come over?

Then again, Minnesota can probably afford to actually pay the guy

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

That was the risk. I think it's actually very possible that we never get to see him in the NBA at all until he's past his prime. Sabonis style.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's kind of what I'm saying. That's going to affect his ability to finish inside the basket on drives, get rebounds(offensively and defensively), get position on post ups,etc. It can go a long way towards making him a versatile offensive player. Can't forget about defense as well.
Fair enough. I was going off the assumption that he's up to 230 so imo it's not as much of a jump. I agree he'd be better if he could bang with the best of them, but I think his game is good enough where he can score even if he's not as strong as others. Imo his floor is Ryan Anderson and while it's not exactly what we need that could be at least good enough to get wins.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Mirotic will transfer over just fine, he's the best player in Europe by a wide margin. He may not start out blazing but he should be very solid from the get go.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The kid is 22! To say he won't be ready for the NBA strength wise cuz he's from Euro is absurd, imo, as it's like saying the same for any college senior coming out!

That's just reality. It's a different style of play in Europe, and Mirotic is a different kind of player. I don't really consider him a "BIG" man, because he plays more like a SF. Could he come over here and dominate right away? Of course, anything's possible. Obviously he stayed in Europe because he wasn't ready to be a starter in the NBA, which was a wise decision. How many Euro big men do you know where physically ready their first season in the NBA?

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
That was the risk. I think it's actually very possible that we never get to see him in the NBA at all until he's past his prime. Sabonis style.

The issue is that the Bulls can only pay $600k of the $2.5mil buyout by rule. So the balance needs to come out of his salary. The Bulls will make the signing bonus cover that, however. If the Bulls use the small MLE, Mirotic could actually make more with Madrid than the Bulls this year.

The highest contracts in Spain, however, are only $7-8 mil. So if Mirotic signs long term in Spain, he will make less money in the long term. He only has the 'buy out' this year, so if he doesn't take it this year, he risks losing a lot of money down the way, and he doesn't get an opportunity to play with the best.

I highly doubt he stays in Spain, imo. It appears that he will get a 3 year contract for about 15-16 mil.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
That's just reality. It's a different style of play in Europe, and Mirotic is a different kind of player. I don't really consider him a "BIG" man, because he plays more like a SF. Could he come over here and dominate right away? Of course, anything's possible. Obviously he stayed in Europe because he wasn't ready to be a starter in the NBA, which was a wise decision. How many Euro big men do you know where physically ready their first season in the NBA?

Dude, again, he's 22! He's gained about 25 lbs in the last two years. He's a stretch PF as well. He doesn't have to post up anyone right away. He will instantly replace what Boozer can do right away! If he gets stronger even better. WTF don't you get?

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Fair enough. I was going off the assumption that he's up to 230 so imo it's not as much of a jump. I agree he'd be better if he could bang with the best of them, but I think his game is good enough where he can score even if he's not as strong as others. Imo his floor is Ryan Anderson and while it's not exactly what we need that could be at least good enough to get wins.

If the bolded is the case, then I agree. I don't doubt his scoring ability(especially on the perimeter) with or without strength, but I think that will help in areas such as defense and rebounding, while also making it easier to play closer to the paint when needed(or drive).

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If the bolded is the case, then I agree. I don't doubt his scoring ability(especially on the perimeter) with or without strength, but I think that will help in areas such as defense and rebounding, while also making it easier to play closer to the paint when needed(or drive).
Yeah for sure. It definitely wouldn't hurt his cause to get up to 240 or 245, but in terms of his immediate impact, I'm just hoping he can score 16+ off the bat...or at least show the potential to if he's still playing behind Boozer or Taj or something.