2014 Jay Cutler Discussion Thread

whick week do we start?

• Total voters

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I agree with all of that. That INT was killer, even though we still could have came back and won. My problems listed above were not even really directed at gpphat, just generalized. Cutler really only made one really bad play that I saw. That shit happens. I understand that he has a tendency to make boneheaded throws through his career, but he is not the first nor the last QB that will make a bad throw that ends in an INT by a DL. But with all the jumpin on McCown's nuts last year, and the blind faith by some that he can take any QB and improve him, I don't understand how there is so little patience to give him a chance to improve Cutler. Ya its all been said before, but never has it been attempted with an actual offensive coach that is not a DA. I don't know if you ever see the facebook posts or not, but just take a quick read through of those. They make me remember why I generally dislike most Bears fans that I have ever met before I came onto Bears boards.

Facebook comments represent the shallowest section of the gene pool. I cannot recommend avoiding them enough.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I agree with all of that. That INT was killer, even though we still could have came back and won. My problems listed above were not even really directed at gpphat, just generalized. Cutler really only made one really bad play that I saw. That shit happens. I understand that he has a tendency to make boneheaded throws through his career, but he is not the first nor the last QB that will make a bad throw that ends in an INT by a DL. But with all the jumpin on McCown's nuts last year, and the blind faith by some that he can take any QB and improve him, I don't understand how there is so little patience to give him a chance to improve Cutler. Ya its all been said before, but never has it been attempted with an actual offensive coach that is not a DA. I don't know if you ever see the facebook posts or not, but just take a quick read through of those. They make me remember why I generally dislike most Bears fans that I have ever met before I came onto Bears boards.

QB's make those types of throws...and not even to a DT. My issue is Cutler seems to have done this frequently as his time as a Bear...and I will reiterate...our D is pretty bad now. So Cutler has no margin for error when making those decisions, if he truly wants to be a winning QB and that sort of game situation comes again. He should either throw it away or run for a 1st down.

We can afford the occasional but rare fumble on Marshall, Forte, etc. But if you compound that with careless INT's, the objective of winning becomes tough, even against the poorer teams like the Bills.

malcore

We no longer have a defense that can make up for mistakes by the offense. The offense must protect the ball more than ever now. With the offensive talent at this point, avoiding these errors and poor decisions should not be that difficult.

I wish Cutler could take his "it's just one game" mentality and apply it to "it's just one play," prior to the snap, if you know what I mean. If he can live for another game, surely he can live for another play.

What annoys even more regarding Cutler's 2nd pick, aside from game situation as bud mentioned, is Trestman has said that on that series it was 4 down territory. They weren't going to punt on 4th down there.

Last edited:

Guitarman

Liked Posts:
Funny, when Favre was out setting the INT record, everyone called him "competitive". "He's just trying to win" If Cutler could win a game with a FG and he threw a pick trying to get a TD record, he'd be burned at the stake.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Funny, when Favre was out setting the INT record, everyone called him "competitive". "He's just trying to win" If Cutler could win a game with a FG and he threw a pick trying to get a TD record, he'd be burned at the stake.

Favre had nine seasons with a QB rating over 90 when the NFL wasn't as pass-friendly as it is now.

Cutler has zero.

malcore

In Favre's first 9 years as a starter he was 9-5 in the playoffs, played in 3 conference championships, won two, with a Super bowl win.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
In Favre's first 9 years as a starter he was 9-5 in the playoffs, played in 3 conference championships, won two, with a Super bowl win.

If you take that all away and just look at the interceptions, and squint, Cutler is a similar QB and I don't know why "fans" like you can't see that.

malcore

lol. I hope for the day when Bears fans don't feel the need to compare their QB to Green Bay's. May never come though.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
lol. I hope for the day when Bears fans don't feel the need to compare their QB to Green Bay's. May never come though.

It may come, maybe even in FOUR MORE YEARS.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wow, sorry I got the "terminology" wrong. Sue me. You know verey well what I meant.

I would know "verey well" what you mean if you actually said what you mean, rather than something else entirely.

People that CLAIM to be "fans" but will hate any QB we have no matter how good he is.

Don't be so emotional. Nobody "hates" Cutler. Or least, the people on this forum who criticize him don't. And why do you say "no matter how good he is", as if he was receiving unfair criticism after a great performance? He's criticized precisely because his performances are still maddeningly inconsistent and he still has the issue of making atrocious decisions at critical times to turn should-be wins into infuriating losses.

Cutler is the best QB the Bears have had since the merger.

So what? That's like being the smartest kid in summer classes. It doesn't matter that he's better than the garbage the Bears have had in the past. How does he compare with his competition today?

(Actually don't answer that - I'm quite certain you'd only say something insane and off-the-wall stupid)

You blame everything on him even though the defense allowed almost 200 yds rushing and recievers were dropping key passes right in their hands. He actually had ONE Bad play, but to you the entire loss is on his head. Screw you. You are as bad here as you were on the CBMB.

Every QB has players drop balls. EVERY QB! You seem to think Cutler is unique in suffering from all this terrible luck. Get real. And LMAO @ "one bad play". No, he had plenty, as he does in every game. Most of them are someone else's fault though, of course, because you fanboys are so emotionally invested in him that you'll throw everyone else under the bus to divert any responsibility from your precious Jay.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Favre is also one of the greatest QBs in the history of the game, with elite talent and record breaking production.

Cutler has game manager production with gunslinger turnovers.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Mods:

Can you please update the title of this Stickied thread to read "2014-2017 Jay Cutler Discussion Thread"

Just so that everyone knows we only have

FOUR MORE YEARS for this sort of stickied discussion?

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
People also don't seem to acknowledge that all picks are not created equal. There's a big difference between making a risky throw early in a game with a tied score and attempting a straight up a moronic throw late in the fourth.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People also don't seem to acknowledge that all picks are not created equal. There's a big difference between making a risky throw early in a game with a tied score and attempting a straight up a moronic throw late in the fourth.

Plenty acknowledge that.

Also, Favre also had 2 MVP seasons on to of what Malcore said.

Guitarman

Liked Posts:
Plenty acknowledge that.

Also, Favre also had 2 MVP seasons on to of what Malcore said.

MOst of that was popularity. He was greatly overrated. But he sold jerseys and people tuned in to watch, and THAT is more important than football skill these days.

Guitarman

Liked Posts:
Favre had nine seasons with a QB rating over 90 when the NFL wasn't as pass-friendly as it is now.

Cutler has zero.

Cutler didn't have the same system behind him two yeasrs in a row, didn't have an O-line worth a shit his first several years here (its still suspect) and certainly isn't pampered by the officials and the media as Favre was.

Guitarman

Liked Posts:
I would know "verey well" what you mean if you actually said what you mean, rather than something else entirely.

Don't be so emotional. Nobody "hates" Cutler. Or least, the people on this forum who criticize him don't. And why do you say "no matter how good he is", as if he was receiving unfair criticism after a great performance? He's criticized precisely because his performances are still maddeningly inconsistent and he still has the issue of making atrocious decisions at critical times to turn should-be wins into infuriating losses.

So what? That's like being the smartest kid in summer classes. It doesn't matter that he's better than the garbage the Bears have had in the past. How does he compare with his competition today?

(Actually don't answer that - I'm quite certain you'd only say something insane and off-the-wall stupid)

Every QB has players drop balls. EVERY QB! You seem to think Cutler is unique in suffering from all this terrible luck. Get real. And LMAO @ "one bad play". No, he had plenty, as he does in every game. Most of them are someone else's fault though, of course, because you fanboys are so emotionally invested in him that you'll throw everyone else under the bus to divert any responsibility from your precious Jay.

Most of the drops last Sunday would have converted third downs. Think about it. THREE drives stalled by dropped passes right in the hands of recievers. Where is Spurlock now? Why?

And Cutler had half the fan base against him from day one. Favre never had to deal with that, even when he blew obvious wins with stupid play.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
MOst of that was popularity. He was greatly overrated. But he sold jerseys and people tuned in to watch, and THAT is more important than football skill these days.

So you're new to football, that's ok, at least we all know now, thanks.