Paying College Athletes

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
oh and you don't have to pay all of the players the same. It would be in the contract when they sign with the school so only a few players would get money. The guys that need the money would get it and the guys who are going to use the opportunity to get an education won't get as much or any.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
This would complicate everything.

For instance say a team like Duke who has many good players and a team like St. Johns that has maybe one good player how do you pay say which players get what? It would just get out of control (pay wise). Leave it the way it is.

Fred

Liked Posts:
I think CBS has a $6 billion, 11-year contract for the TV rights for the NCAA basketball tournament. I'm sure football is bringing in more money, but the expenses are much higher in that sport. The travel costs alone for a football team are astronomical, which explains why DePaul and other schools don't have one.

Aren't we overstating things by saying they bring in 100's of Billions of dollars, especially after expenses are figured into the bottom line?

But for a second, let's look at Notre Dame. I would argue that the school is far bigger than any individual player. For the past 20 years, why should anyone on the Notre Dame football team, or the basketball team, be paid a dime? I can't remember the last time they won a bowl game. No one is going to Notre Dame to see any individual player. People are going to watch Notre Dame because it's Notre Dame, no matter how crappy they are. Knute Rockne is more responsible for the popularity and TV contracts than any individual player has been over the past 15 years.

Fred

Liked Posts:
Hendu0520 wrote:
I went to Temple University in Philly and did the same job as Fred calling alumni and asking for money. Which sucked by the way, you are calling people who are in thousands of dollars of debt just graduated and asking for money, ha. Temple was only half funded by the state and of the other half prob about 30% came from football and mostly the basketball team. (Cheney was there and they were a top 10 team at the time) But I was amazed at how many sports Temple had. They had a woman's rugby team. I'm sorry but the sports that don't make any money can't complain if they are cut. Doug is not saying to give all the money to the players it wouldn't be much. And if the boy's and girl's rugby teams get cut or the feild hockey team. Men's field hockey? Is that even a sport? In high school its not. Cut those outer tier sports and give that bit of money to the players, not much, but just enough where they don't have to worry about getting a job while they are in school. Also relax some of the rules, maybe boosters could give some money, but highly regulated and no do not let agents get involved that opens up too much crap.

Great post. I had no idea that Temple was getting state money...I thought it was a private school. What is the tuition there?

To be honest, the women's UCONN basketball team makes money. Maybe Tenn, too. I would be shocked if any other woman's team in this country would result in positive revenue for a school. It's easy to say that we should cut it then, as I once did as a Freshman at the U of I. Of course, my comments, during a Marketing class, resulted in death threats from my militant lesbian instructer and her loyal fans. Totally serious here...you risk harm to life and limb if you suggest cutting woman's sports.

I actually loved that job working at the U of I Foundation, because the place was air conditioned, the alumni I called were for the most part great, and several of my female co-workers were incredibly hot. If any of you are down at the U of I in Champaign, I highly recommend applying for the job. If you call me though, I'm outta money because of diapers, etc.