Tanaka Watch Thread (Cubs Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Luke Stuckmeyer*@LukeStuckmeyerFollowJapanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka will meet with the #Cubs & #WhiteSox this week...likely in Chicago.4:20 PM - 7 Jan 2014

EDITED BY JOSMIN: Tanaka reportedly agrees to 7-year pact from the Yankees worth $155million. Contract has opt-out clause after 4th season.

RT @Ken_Rosenthal: BREAKING: Tanaka to ‪#‎Yankees‬, seven years, $155M, opt-out after fourth year.

Last edited by a moderator:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs should make sure he dont leave without signing a contract. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Hand him a blank check.

Kidding. But seriously don't be afraid of this kid's price tag. His stuff is VERY good.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The White Sox may not let him leave

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

patg006

Liked Posts:
The White Sox may not let him leave

Would be genius move for them. I think they will put a better effort in than Boy Blunder

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@Ken_RosenthalInteresting tidbit on new posting system: Per sources, the $20M fee will be paid in two installments - $13M the first year, $7M the second.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
@Ken_RosenthalInteresting tidbit on new posting system: Per sources, the $20M fee will be paid in two installments - $13M the first year, $7M the second.

Why did Japan agree?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@Ken_RosenthalIdea behind split payment is allow more teams the realistic opportunity to bid for a Tanaka - or any other Japanese player who is posted.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@Ken_RosenthalA team would pay $13M to Japanese club plus salary to player in year 1, then $7M plus salary in year 2. Less of an immediate hit.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
But whats in it for Japanese teams?????

chibears55

Liked Posts:
But whats in it for Japanese teams?????

I dont know. .
20 million American Dollars..
prob. the fact that their players have a chance to make more annually in the first couple years because they could have more teams able to negotiate.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I worry about the money + miles on his arm. The one post that "says hes worth it" is completly off base as he is still unproven. washed up rejects go to japan and rake, its not the mlb.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/...a.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

smiley-white-flag.gif

Liked Posts:
Would be genius move for them. I think they will put a better effort in than Boy Blunder

The basketball analyst in me has a hard time believing that Reinsdorf will pony up the necessary cash for a guy like Tanaka. His NBA franchise just traded Deng for mere draft picks. Granted it was a move the Bulls needed to make, but you would think they would want some sort of player value in return, especially from a team they're battling for a Playoff spot with in Cleveland.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Bulls are tanking, they'll compete just because the East is pure rubbish.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Anyway, Tanaka probably isn't going to any Chicago team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Latest On Masahiro Tanaka
By Steve Adams [January 10 at 3:07pm CST]
3:07pm: John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that Tanaka's initial preferred cities are Los Angeles, New York and Boston (Twitter link).

Meanwhile, Nightengale softens his stance in a pair of new tweets, noting that the Dodgers confirmed their interest but don't want to spend "wildly" or do anything crazy with their bid in order to land Tanaka.

1:04pm: While team president Stan Kasten said in a radio interview yesterday not to predict the Dodgers to land Masahiro Tanaka, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (via Twitter) that the Dodgers have made it known that they will go "all out" to sign the Japanese ace and "certainly won't be outbid."

Of course, because of the new posting agreement between Major League Baseball and Nippon Professional Baseball, signing Tanaka is no longer simply a matter of outbidding your opponents. Any team that wishes to pay the $20MM posting fee can negotiate with Tanaka as if he were a free agent, and the team would only lose that $20MM if an agreement between the two sides were to be reached. In other words, virtually any team in the Majors can afford to negotiate with Tanaka, and he could have preferences beyond signing for top dollar.

We've heard a great number of teams connected to Tanaka over the past two days, as the right-hander is in Los Angeles at this time meeting with teams face-to-face. In the past 24 hours alone, the Yankees, Diamondbacks, Angels, Dodgers, Cubs, White Sox, Blue Jays and Indians have all been linked to Tanaka.

Adding Tanaka to the mix would give the Dodgers a potentially unrivaled rotation in terms of dominance, as he would join Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Hyun-jin Ryu and Dan Haren. The addition of Tanaka would seem to push Josh Beckett and Chad Billingsley out of the picture for the Dodgers, though both dealt with injuries in 2013. Billingsley isn't expected back until summer after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.