Tanaka Watch Thread (Cubs Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs offer was 6 yr 120 mil. When Cubs gave this offer they knew it had no chance. For him to go to Cubs they had to overpay on years or AAV and that clearly didnt happen. Add the opt out thing Cubs knew they had 0 chance

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs offer was 6 yr 120 mil. When Cubs gave this offer they knew it had no chance. For him to go to Cubs they had to overpay on years or AAV and that clearly didnt happen. Add the opt out thing Cubs knew they had 0 chance
I see that too......I hope it's not true because that did have ZERO chance and they did KNOW it then. I was semi-joking when I said the Cubs were intentionally getting their own rumors out there but I'm not sure it's a joke now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I knew I had seen him before. Rick "Papa Smurf" Renteria. Lets hope his skin doesn't turn blue from all of the lack of wins this year. :smug2:

Smurfs_Whos_Papa_Blue_JNK_Shirt_POP_130_130.jpg

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I see that too......I hope it's not true because that did have ZERO chance and they did KNOW it then. I was semi-joking when I said the Cubs were intentionally getting their own rumors out there but I'm not sure it's a joke now.

Not sure I'd say zero chance. If Tanaka ever was going to buy into the cubs it had to be more for years 3-6 or 7 depending on the length of the deal. In that case what good is an opt out at year 4? Year 1 would have always been an adjustment period as their best prospects are only likely to see half a season tops. Year 2 would have been the first year of full time on Baez/Alcantara and possibly Bryant. Year 3 you might see Soler and Almora. So, in the fourth year you likely have all of the big guys up but at that point there's still an adjustment period for a lot of players.

Some players will be Longoria's and be what they are to start while other players are more like Chris Davis was who took 3-4 years before he finally reached his potential. Others will never. The point here being if you buy into the cubs you buy in for the length of the deal not just the first 4. Obviously he wasn't comfortable with that which is his choice and admittedly a fair one. However, I don't really think that's what cost the cubs him. What cost them was the fact that they aren't ready to compete year 1.

marines1

Liked Posts:
really wished Cubs got him.

I would be happy if Cubs had paid what Yankees did or even few millions more

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure I'd say zero chance. If Tanaka ever was going to buy into the cubs it had to be more for years 3-6 or 7 depending on the length of the deal. In that case what good is an opt out at year 4? Year 1 would have always been an adjustment period as their best prospects are only likely to see half a season tops. Year 2 would have been the first year of full time on Baez/Alcantara and possibly Bryant. Year 3 you might see Soler and Almora. So, in the fourth year you likely have all of the big guys up but at that point there's still an adjustment period for a lot of players.

Some players will be Longoria's and be what they are to start while other players are more like Chris Davis was who took 3-4 years before he finally reached his potential. Others will never. The point here being if you buy into the cubs you buy in for the length of the deal not just the first 4. Obviously he wasn't comfortable with that which is his choice and admittedly a fair one. However, I don't really think that's what cost the cubs him. What cost them was the fact that they aren't ready to compete year 1.
Right, that's kind of why I say no chance.. I'm assuming there was probably 5 teams offering 6/120 and no opt out clause. Even if he could be convinced the Cubs have a good plan, there's just no reason to pick the Cubs at the same money...it might've even been a bit less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.