Chicago Bears: Observations About the 2014 Schedule

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
Obviously past performance is not indicitive of future results especially regarding NFL teams but I thought this was an interesting piece nevertheless (even though it is from yahoo contributor netowrk)...Also thought it was amusing that we will be playing against Lovie, Tice and marinelli this year on three different teams..

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chicago-bears-five-observations-2014-schedule-152100044--nfl.html

COMMENTARY | The actual schedule for the 2014 NFL season has not been released yet, but we already know who plays who, we just don't know when.

For the 8-8 Chicago Bears, 2013-2014 -- even at nine months away -- looks fearsome. Here are five semi-random, potentially significant observations about who the Bears have on the docket next season.

They will face former coaches Lovie Smith (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Rod Marinelli (Dallas Cowboys), and Mike Tice (Atlanta Falcons)
This is more of a curiosity than it is a measurement of opponent strength, but the Bears will face three previous coaches throughout the 2014 season --coaches who still have player ties to the Bears. Smith was the Bears' head coach from 2004-2012, Marinelli was with the Bears from 2009-2012, and Tice was in Chicago from 2010-2012, spending time as the offensive line coach as well as offensive coordinator.

These three games are difficult to classify (especially nine months away) because it seems foolish to think the Falcons are as bad as they were this season. Dallas in perennially inconsistent, and Tampa Bay should only improve under Smith's leadership.

They play five of the top 10 defensive units from 2013
Looking at points surrendered per game, the Bears play the Carolina Panthers (2nd), San Francisco 49ers (3rd), New Orleans Saints (4th), Miami Dolphins (8th), and the New England Patriots (10th) next season.

Even with some overhaul, it's logical to think the Bears' defense will still leave something to be desired, so the offense will have to continue to make strides against quality defensive units. But one good thing is...

They play six games against the bottom 10 defensive units from 2013
With two games against the Minnesota Vikings (32nd), one against the Falcons (27th) and Cowboys (26th), and two against the Green Bay Packers (24th), the Bears' offense will have plenty of opportunities to stretch their legs against less-than-stellar units.

The combined home record of the Bears' road opponents next season was 43-20-1 in 2013
Of the Bears' eight upcoming road opponents, four of them won at least six games at home in 2013 -- Patriots (8), Panthers (7), 49ers (6), New York Jets (6). Three of the remaining four are divisional opponents, which are never easy. Oddly enough, the combined away record of the teams coming to Soldier Field in 2014 this season was the exact opposite -- 20-43-1.

Remember how bad the Bears' rushing defense was this season? Of course you do...
Next season, the Bears will play half of their games against teams who ranked in the top 10 for rushing yards. The Panthers, at 11th, would make for a ninth.

After the Bears gave up a franchise-worst 2,583 yards rushing (5.3 yards per carry, good for dead last in the league) this season, the schedule doesn't get any more forgiving next season -- the huge stipulation being that rosters can go under quite a bit of overhaul between January and September.

Regardless, we better hope the Bears tighten up a few of those gaping holes, otherwise another .500 finish isn't out of the question.

dabearsjjk

Liked Posts:
I really dont see how people can judge a teams schedule.

Its a new year, look at the Falcons

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
12-4

Losses to the Packers (road) Saints (home) Falcons (road) Panthers (road)

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I don't think it makes much sense to sweat about the SOS every year. Would you rather be a team that feasts against bad teams but loses when they meet a good team? Thats what the Bears have been the past several years. I'd rather we bloody our weapons against proven teams all year long. Keep your teeth sharp, only the strong survive, etc.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
I don't think it makes much sense to sweat about the SOS every year. Would you rather be a team that feasts against bad teams but loses when they meet a good team? Thats what the Bears have been the past several years. I'd rather we bloody our weapons against proven teams all year long. Keep your teeth sharp, only the strong survive, etc.

I agree...I dont want a team that eeks in to the playoffs only to get beaten by real competition ala 2013 Packers ;) ... I really want to see a juggernaut that donimates the best the league has to offer and flat out annihilates sub par competition....Kind of like the 85 Bears...sad I have to go back that far to find a Bears team that was a significantly dominant force in the NFL...

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
12-4

Losses to the Packers (road) Saints (home) Falcons (road) Panthers (road)
Niners, Patriots and, at least 1 or 2 losses in the 4 games against Lions and Vikes. Looking at another 8-8 or 9-7 season, gents, and I think we all know who to blame.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is the writer:

Brian Davis is an active musician, songwriter and writer, a senior at Eureka College majoring in English and creative writing, and an avid Chicago Cubs, Chicago Bulls, and Chicago Bears fan. Brian spends a great deal of his time perusing around the music world in one form or another, and aside from Yahoo Contributor, has contributed to various music blogs as well as his own personal blogs.

TishLover

Liked Posts:
These Yahoo Contributor Network write-ups in Yahoo are just a trash. Not worth your time.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
These Yahoo Contributor Network write-ups in Yahoo are just a trash. Not worth your time.

I dont disagree and if there was real news or anything Bears related other then constant pontification I would not have posted it. Due to the fact that we are in the offseason where there is nothing else to read I think it is better then nothing.....(barely) IMHO

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
Before this season began, people were saying we had a tough schedule because of the Steelers, etc. being opponents. By the end of the season, people were saying we had a weak schedule because of the Steelers, etc. being opponents.

Basically what I'm saying is that the NFL is too unpredictable to get a solid outlook of teams' records from viewing their upcoming schedules. Every season, the NFL has surprises.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
i have a hard time believing our schedule is all that hard just reading that....

our offense should improve quite a bit with a healthy Jay in his 2nd year in the trestman system and the pressure of a contract not on his mind...

The defense wont be worse than it was last year... it is possible but i don't believe it will be... I think we will see significant play from our 1st round draft pick and solid play as expected from our FA signings...

I also believe we will have a better punter this offseason... last year our punter was awful... I think our starting field position will be better this year also...

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
Mccown for losing to the vikings and rams. What a loser

Hahaha. That was a good one! We can't talk about that bc someone is on crazy pills

Bones40

Liked Posts:
Niners, Patriots and, at least 1 or 2 losses in the 4 games against Lions and Vikes. Looking at another 8-8 or 9-7 season, gents, and I think we all know who to blame.

Andy Daulton?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Before this season began, people were saying we had a tough schedule because of the Steelers, etc. being opponents. By the end of the season, people were saying we had a weak schedule because of the Steelers, etc. being opponents.

Basically what I'm saying is that the NFL is too unpredictable to get a solid outlook of teams' records from viewing their upcoming schedules. Every season, the NFL has surprises.

:clap: At least you get it, every year we get these threads, some on here never learn.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
:clap: At least you get it, every year we get these threads, some on here never learn.

Then I am sure you love the thread talking about making the playoffs next year thats being discussed right now. Both this and that thread are pathetic.