Firing Mel Tucker would be bad move

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Incomplete? are u fn kidding kidding me? No it was complete , a complete failure. I get why the bears feel they can make excuses and roll with their same trash when their fans have such a pansy grading scale. Incomplete? lmfao.

So what you're saying, is that the FO should make personnel decisions based on fan opinion?

Sigh. If it wasn't for the fanbase's pansy rating scale the Bears would surely win the SB! OH THE HUMANITY!

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
Really? Well documented? Show me your documents aka links on the interwebs. Then answer why when Tucker was in charge he blitzed less than any team in the NFL.

It has been mentioned in countless articles throughout the year and was mentioned multiple times during broadcasts. Tucker wants to blitz. Whether this is something new or not, doesn't change what has been coming out during the season.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If fans were just more angry, the Bears would be forced to win more super bowls, DUH.

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
So what you're saying, is that the FO should make personnel decisions based on fan opinion?

Sigh. If it wasn't for the fanbase's pansy rating scale the Bears would surely win the SB! OH THE HUMANITY!

Well if the fans are ok with mediocrity, they are the consumers, then why wouldnt the bears be ok with it?
Anyways the bears shouldnt make decisions based on fans pansy grading scales, but on on-field results.

rudder

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember how everyone hated Babich as DC. In his 3 years as DC, our defense averaged 22.3 ppg allowed. If we had that crap-ass Babich this year, we would've been 11-5.

Tucker sucks, historically.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tucker had a top 25 Defense when? Tucker had worse 5 defense when? Thats right every year he been a defense coordinator his teams are bottom 5 in defense. Yes he needs to be fired. Not sure how the guy has job in first place

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Well if the fans are ok with mediocrity, they are the consumers, then why wouldnt the bears be ok with it?
Anyways the bears shouldnt make decisions based on fans pansy grading scales, but on on-field results.

If fans like you ran this team we would be 0-16

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

You can't name me ONE Defensive genius that could have done any better with the personnel on the field after all the injuries this year. >shrugs< Fact is, to start the season the Bear D led the league in take aways and was a decent defense before all the injuries started to pile up. That is what management is looking at. Unfair to criticize Tucker when he did ok with a full complement, but lousy with back ups to back ups.

Edit: Now if you want to argue, next season with less critical injuries the Bear D is still bad, I will listen, and I think Emery will as well.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Michael Wright the guy who wrote this piece is one of my least favorite Bear beat reporters. This just feels like someone kissing up to the org and or writing something contrary to popular opinion to make himself standout from other opinions. I do not put a lot of value on his opinion whether its about Tucker or other Bear topics.
Bearfan51 makes the point Tucker knows the cover 2 better than any other defense. The should DEFINITELY drop the cover 2 as their main defense so add that to reasons why Tucker should go. Maiinly he should go because he could not get his players to respond to his leadership plain and simple. Why bring such baggage into a new season especially after such a heartbreaking loss to the Packers which stopped our guys from making the playoffs. The defensive leadership needs new blood period.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Michael Wright the guy who wrote this piece is one of my least favorite Bear beat reporters. This just feels like someone kissing up to the org and or writing something contrary to popular opinion to make himself standout from other opinions. I do not put a lot of value on his opinion whether its about Tucker or other Bear topics.
Bearfan51 makes the point Tucker knows the cover 2 better than any other defense. The should DEFINITELY drop the cover 2 as their main defense so add that to reasons why Tucker should go. Maiinly he should go because he could not get his players to respond to his leadership plain and simple. Why bring such baggage into a new season especially after such a heartbreaking loss to the Packers which stopped our guys from making the playoffs. The defensive leadership needs new blood period.

How do you know, when you have obvious incompetence trying to run the Defense, either incompetent starters or back ups to back ups playing out of position and trying to learn on the fly in the middle of a season. Shea will not get better because you add a new D coordinator, nor will Conte hear defensive calls better when he's on the other side of the field picking his nose... Will the rookies learn to read an O better at a quicker pace of NFL play with a different D coordinator? How do you know?

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
actually, the issue is that Mike C Wright is a Mel Tucker stan. He isn't kissing up to the org he just loves him some Mel Tucker. He was ecstatic with the hire when it first happened and eve pined for him when we didn't have a DC.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
How do you know, when you have obvious incompetence trying to run the Defense, either incompetent starters or back ups to back ups playing out of position and trying to learn on the fly in the middle of a season. Shea will not get better because you add a new D coordinator, nor will Conte hear defensive calls better when he's on the other side of the field picking his nose... Will the rookies learn to read an O better at a quicker pace of NFL play with a different D coordinator? How do you know?

How do you know Shea and Conte will not get better from different coaching and hopefully a different defense than the cover 2. The disconnect between Tucker and the players was plain to see weekly on the field.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
actually, the issue is that Mike C Wright is a Mel Tucker stan. He isn't kissing up to the org he just loves him some Mel Tucker. He was ecstatic with the hire when it first happened and eve pined for him when we didn't have a DC.

I think Wright covered the Jags when Tucker coached there.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

I do agree that Tucker needs to go and I am not a fan of him at all but like someone mentioned either on this thread of another thread you gotta blame the position coaches almost as much as you blame the DC. Not to mention I believe Hoke was possibly the only coach we brought back from the past years so none of these coaches have continuity with each other. If they do give Tucker another shot, I understand why but the team seems better off without him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
you can't expect to win the kentucky derby on a donkey...

Mel Tucker did have a donkey of a defense this year... if we get him some guys though and they still suck then its on Tucker, obviously...
And then we wasted another year!!!

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
The reasons for firing Tucker go far, far beyond injuries ... or even the TYPE of defense he intended or intends to run.

Rise

Liked Posts:
When will this organization ever learn. Writing is on the wall, now we waste a good offense with this clown and his pathetic defense. Its Ron Turner 2.0. Fire this guy now and bring in a quality coordinator please! Time is now, we can run any system as we need to replace everything anyways.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Tucker has never been a successful coach at any stop. He's not a guy who's going to outscheme you (100% certainty).

I think people are looking at this the wrong way. The defense is in shambles, it's one of the worst in the league. It's not a 4-3, 3-4, 5-2, it's all wrong. You can hire any coach you want right now at this very offseason and build a new defense that fits this guy.

So the real question is, is Mel Tucker better than all of the other coaches out there? There is no continuity right now. There's no 2nd year in Tucker's scheme because it just won't be that kind of improvement. So is Mel Tucker better than Ray Horton or Wade Phillips or anyone else out there the casual fan doesn't know about? Are you more excited with Tucker back there than the 2 mentioned above or maybe a protege from one of the best defenses in the league? I just don't think in your heart you can say Tucker is better.

So why are we going to waste another season? He's going to fail next year, and the Bears are going to be back to where they are right now. Likely 8-8, 9-7, not good enough to overtake the Packers. Then what? You fire him after you spent an offseason drafting and signing for him and the entire team is older, and you're now wondering whether Trestman and Emery are already on the hot seat.

It just does not sound favorable. Forget Lovie Smith's defense. Fire Tucker, sign a guy who will be a long-stay guy on this team for the next 3-4 years, and see if the Bears can attain success with Trestman without a question mark DC (aka sign a guy you know can coach successfully). If then it doesn't work out, you know that Trestman cannot lead this team for sure. Not like Lovie where you keep thinking the OC was the problem.

Tucker is the guy you pick when no one else will come. He's the guy who's willing to coach for you when your head coach is on the hot seat and might be fired next year, such as Tice, Bates, Martz- coaches who were the worst case scenario basically.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Lovie and Angelo fucked around on incompetent OC's for too many seasons and the Bears squandered a great defense.

Phil and Trestman should learn from those mistakes, don't fuck around, pull the plug on Tucker now.

That said, I don't think they will, and we'll be stuck with a fucked up DC for at least one more season.