A great article proving physical play & PI (called or not) from db's = wins

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Essentially statistical proof, not being afraid to be called for pass interference, specifically early on in a game has been an extremely successful approach over the past decade. And even more so in the playoffs.

Excerpt:

The Seahawks had the most pass-interference penalties in the league this season—13, or nearly one per game. Defensive pass interference, a spot foul that comes with an automatic first down, is called when a defender impedes a receiver while the ball is in the air. If the ball isn't airborne, grabbing a receiver more than five yards downfield merits a defensive-holding penalty. The Seahawks have 10 of those this season.

There is a certain brilliance to this approach: Since 2001, nine teams have committed 20 or more of these penalties (including this season's Seahawks). None of them had a losing record, and most of them won big.

"They look at it and say, 'We may get called for one but not 10,'" said Mike Pereira, a former NFL vice president of officiating who is now a Fox analyst.

Full Article:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303754404579310500005285822

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
The Patriots do this as well, which really begs the question. Is it, or is it not a penalty?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
If I could change one NFL rule itd be illegal contract after 5 yards to allow more physical corner play again but yep, pushing the edge pays off.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

BearsJR

Liked Posts:
The Patriots do this as well, which really begs the question. Is it, or is it not a penalty?

It IS...unless you do it a lot...or during the 4th quarter...or in the playoffs. One of the most frustrating things for me officiating wise. There never seems to be a definitive answer, it always goes back to "well they're letting them play".

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
so long as refs are consistent from the opening kick off to the final tick off the clock, with both teams, I'm ok with however the game is called.

After reading this article however, I hope either tillman gets resigned or we pick up a large cb to play opposite of Jennings to push the limit with PI like the article discusses. Playing back and keeping everything in front of you isn't cutting it anymore in todays NFL. Sorry Tampa Bay...

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
so long as refs are consistent from the opening kick off to the final tick off the clock, with both teams, I'm ok with however the game is called.

After reading this article however, I hope either tillman gets resigned or we pick up a large cb to play opposite of Jennings to push the limit with PI like the article discusses. Playing back and keeping everything in front of you isn't cutting it anymore in todays NFL. Sorry Tampa Bay...

Playing back and let everything get behind you didn't work out very well this past year either. :beer:

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the strategy New England used against the Rams in their Super Bowl. As a former receiver, it pisses me off to no end to see this crap not called.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That explains how the Packer's defense plays the Bears.

I think a few years ago GB was open about this. I believe they were consistently one of the most penalized secondaries in the league. I think Woodson was right up there in penalties. I think McCarthy said he was ok with some penalties because they play aggressively (cough, cheat).

I don't notice it as much with this Packer team. When you get burned and are 5 yards away from the intended receiver it is kind of difficult to have pass interference.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
This is the strategy New England used against the Rams in their Super Bowl. As a former receiver, it pisses me off to no end to see this crap not called.

What I have a problem with is the inconsistency. Either it's a penalty or it isn't. If they started calling it extremely often, these guys would stop doing it, though I'm not exactly open to letting WRs get free reigns. That said, the rules are supposed to be black and white. Seems the NFL rules are all gray.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What I have a problem with is the inconsistency. Either it's a penalty or it isn't. If they started calling it extremely often, these guys would stop doing it, though I'm not exactly open to letting WRs get free reigns. That said, the rules are supposed to be black and white. Seems the NFL rules are all gray.

Take away an R and I think you got it. Me no likey rules up to interpretation. Much less enforcement changing from crew to crew and game to game.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Personally, I like the Seattle style of right on the line of scrimmage make the WRs fight for every yard upfield.

Of course you have to have a very strong Dline to pressure consistently..............

optimus prime

Liked Posts:
so we should have our corners commit pass interference on every play next year?

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Whatever it takes to pressure that QB is what we should do. Shorten and disrupt receivers routes and bring Five more often is my best answer