Cubs and Sox?

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
A fairly mediocre start to the season for both teams.

The Sox stand at 11-10. The Cubs at 10-10. I'm not sure what the expectation for the Sox was really, but I think this is probably close to what I expected while the Cubs seem to be a startling disappointment.

Are you panicked yet as a fan?

RPK

Liked Posts:
It may be time to blow it all up.

We know by now this team will never win a World Series.

it's time for drastic measures. Bring out the white flag!

Trade DP-Lee, Soriano, Dumpster (oops, I mean Dempster), and Zambrano now while they still have some value.

Convert Harden to a closer (what kind of quality starting pitcher can't go past 6 innings?).

We can keep Lou, but his time is about over here too.

Move Samardzija to the starting rotation.

Bottom line is, we know the ceiling, so it's time to go young. And while we're at it, can we please get rid of Len Casper? he has the most annoying announcing voice. It's a shame because this team will never be able to replace Steve Stone.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
Way too early. Plenty of time to turn it around, and I think they will.

As a cubs fan, i just come to expect mediocrity or success followed by an epic fail (playoffs). So win or loss, im just kinda meh on the whole thing.

2ndcitydiehard

Liked Posts:
RPK wrote:
It may be time to blow it all up.

We know by now this team will never win a World Series.

it's time for drastic measures. Bring out the white flag!

Trade DP-Lee, Soriano, Dumpster (oops, I mean Dempster), and Zambrano now while they still have some value.

Convert Harden to a closer (what kind of quality starting pitcher can't go past 6 innings?).

We can keep Lou, but his time is about over here too.

Move Samardzija to the starting rotation.

Bottom line is, we know the ceiling, so it's time to go young. And while we're at it, can we please get rid of Len Casper? he has the most annoying announcing voice. It's a shame because this team will never be able to replace Steve Stone.

So apparently the 20 game mark is when you can tell everything? Please. The Cubs haven't been remotely healthy and they are still at .500. They are fine.

D-Lee is only signed through next season and his glove is a great assest with how sub-par the D is on the rest of our INF. Soriano is an offensive force and underrated defensively. And just because a pitcher struggles out of the gate doesn't mean he's done. Dempster is having trouble keeping the ball down right now but you really bail on a 17 game winner after 4 starts? I suppose the Yanks should give up on CC to.

6 innings are more valuable than 1 inning, no matter when that inning is. If Harden is going to be lights out for 6 and slowly build the arm strength to be ready in Sept and Oct that's what the Cubs want.

Also you can move Samardzija to the rotation... in AAA. The guy shouldn't be here, he doesn't have a 3rd pitch yet he hasn't fixed his location problems yet. He should be in the minors but instead we are stunting his growth here.

What's the ceiling? 97 wins? I'll take that again. October is a crap shoot and this time the Cubs might have 3 potential threats from the left side (Fuku, Bradley, Fontenot)... talk about a classic April over reaction.

Also, leave Casper alone he's been fine. Plus as a play-by-play guy he has nothing to do with Steve Stone not being here, that's the idiots in cubs management.

sephcast

Liked Posts:
Am I the only one who is totally not in the mood for baseball season this year? After the Cubs' latest choke last year, this incredibly fun Bulls season, and the Jay Cutler trade, I'm ready to bypass Baseball season.

I think I've finally realized that Basketball is my #1, NFL is my #2, and Baseball is just too slow and boring for my tastes nowadays. It's a great sport to have playing in the background, because you only have to look every 1.5 minutes, but it just doesn't have the thrill of the other sports to me anymore.

I think I'm bitter.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
sephcast wrote:
Am I the only one who is totally not in the mood for baseball season this year? After the Cubs' latest choke last year, this incredibly fun Bulls season, and the Jay Cutler trade, I'm ready to bypass Baseball season.

I think I've finally realized that Basketball is my #1, NFL is my #2, and Baseball is just too slow and boring for my tastes nowadays. It's a great sport to have playing in the background, because you only have to look every 1.5 minutes, but it just doesn't have the thrill of the other sports to me anymore.

I think I'm bitter.

It's ok. Me too.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I should have waited until tomorrow to start this topic ;)

Or hopefully Sunday.

Or hopefully, hopefully, sometime in June.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
I always take the stance of not caring about baseball until after the NBA Draft.

Generally what happens is I'll watch the first few games for the Cubs on opening day. Then NBA Playoffs start, so it's all Bulls, and even if it's not the Bulls, the NBA Playoffs are much more exciting to watch than baseball. Then you have the Finals ending in mid June. Then the draft is 1-2 weeks after that. And then when I start paying attention to the Cubs more hardcore, they're never out of the playoff race at that point.

Gene

Liked Posts:
140 games left, not time to panic.

Cubs were playing really well until Ramirez, Lee, and Bradley went down. Not to mention Soto had an injury that slowed him down out of the gates. I expect the Cubs to start rocking when the warm weather rolls through.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
I really only been casual fan for my Soxs as I've been too interested in playoffs. You always have to wait till June or July for this Sox team though to see how they're doing

strassburguesa

Liked Posts:
did anyone else feel all warm and fuzzy seeing Scott Podsednik out on the field last night? I hope for a quick recovery for Brian "The Dominator" Anderson, though. it's time to waive Dewayne Wise.

Also, Clay Richard needs to be in the rotation and we should move Contreras to long relief...i don't think he has it anymore.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
I was at Wrigley yesterday (second time this year). It was pretty cool, we got there early for BP so I was loving standing like 20 feet from Lou and everyone.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Did you see the concurse during the Bulls game on Thursday?

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
sephcast wrote:

I think I'm bitter.

I was thinking the exact same thing after game 6. The Cubs had blown a 2-1 lead in the 8th and I didn't even care. The Bulls are and always will be my #1. And yes, I want football season to start right after the Bulls season ends, hopefully not tonight.

strassburguesa

Liked Posts:
i personally mourn when football season starts, because all chicago sports media instantly forgets that other sports exist. from mid-august to january, all you hear about is bears bears bears bears bears. in the fall, you might hear a little bit about the sox and cubs IF they are in route to the postseason, if not, you can forget it.

once baseball season ends, it is complete bear domination on the airwaves. i do some long drives from central IL to chicago, and I usually listen to SCORE on the way. during football season, I was keeping track of how much time was dedicated to each sport. It was typically about 90% football talk (with 90% of that 90% focusing on the bears rather than NCAA)...I GET THAT KYLE ORTON SUCKED...but they had to tell me that over and over again, ad nauseum.

dynastyVI

Liked Posts:
The Sox are at about what I thought they'd be at this point. They've gotten some nice play from Getz and Dye. Konerko's started well, which is rare for him. The rotation just seems too thin for them to really take off right now. Their bench is just average too.