PSP suggestions thread

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Got 2 broken PSP 3000s this week. I can either revive it as original between the good parts from both systems, or I can turn it into a TV console, making it no longer portable. Well, I don't think the PSP was that good, so making it a home system would be a lot more work. But maybe I'm wrong and it was a great under-appreciated system? I have no idea.

Any PSP gamers with good suggestions on games? I have MGS Peace Walker, and the GTA stories games on PS2, so I see no need to pick up the PSP versions. Any good exclusives?

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you'd be wasting your time with it personally. Any big game worth playing was ported in HD to consoles (MGS: Peace Walker, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, God of War Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta, etc.)

Unless you're a huge Metal Gear Solid fan. Then you can play MGS: Portable Ops and Metal Gear Ac!d 1 &2.

The Patapon series is pretty fun though.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I still want to cover a minimum amount of bases and get the main exclusive titles and be done with it. Imports may save the system for all I know, but then I would prefer to grab the games now, when they can be found both at the systems lowest value, and while the games might be in the best condition used for the lowest price.

I read that Final Fantasy IV on PSP is the best remake. Some exception to the rule of exclusives, so I'll get that, and the rest that I'll get for collecting purposes.
Castlevania: The Dracula X
Driver 76
Wipeout Pure
Sonic Rivals 1 and 2

I stripped down the PSPs, and they're both good. The big issue is the button switches aren't level, and as much as I would like to fix it, I don't think they are all that durable. The screen on one has dead pixels, and the other has ghosting in one of the corners. So really, if I want to do anything with this, I'm best converting it into a set-top console.

I have a very rough draft of the shell layout. I wont know for sure, until I draft out the extra PCBs and converters. The shade of gray doesn't match anything, because the prototyping thermoplastic I want to use is about this color. If it takes me more than the time it would take for me to complete a game, on this build, then I'll likely scrap it in the over-ambitious pile of projects.

iPvwYbU.jpg

A PSOne inspired design, but about 10% smaller than a PSOne. The more I can shrink it, the better.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
You can play Rondo of Blood from Dracula X on the Wii's Virtual Console (if you have a Wii or WiiU) and Symphony of the Night from the same PSP game on XBox Live for 360 or the Playstation Network on PS3. Unless you want to play the Rondo of Blood update (the main game on PSP, the other two are unlockables) you're better off going that route.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I'm only counting physical copies of the games.

I have a Wii, PS3, 360. Wii's virtual console games are close, but not input accurate as far as console emulation. So SNES, N64, NES games are still best played on their original system, and best emulated on PC with good hardware inputs. PSN games also have this issue, but the PSN sometimes emulates best, sometimes it doesn't.

So if any of the games are actually the best version of a title, and they can be backed up(WiiWare titles have been cracked for some time and can be backed up), where PSN for PS3 games can be backed up but have issues when it comes to forward compatibility with devices.

I'm falling in love with the idea of a console hack project more than actually playing any games on it. That's why I'm coming back to reality quickly and realizing how premature this project would be. But still, while the games are at their cheapest, for physical, I'm going to try and nab the best titles.

Last edited: