Any other NFL teams that play a 4-3 base, 1 gap scheme, that also are Hybrid?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Any other NFL teams that play a 3-4 base, 1 gap scheme, that also are Hybrid?

I am curious, now that we have a baseline of what the defense is going to be (a one gap base 3-4 that can mix in 3-4 alignments as well), are there any other teams in the NFL that do this (swap between 3-4 and 4-3 alignments and are a 1 gap team)?

Reason is, while not exact it would be nice to look at another team that might be running something similar to us to get an idea what to expect.

malcore

How much time of your life do you think you have wasted on Chicago Bears forums?

HHM has not wasted one second. Every post of his is worthwhile and has great merit. Every. Single. One.

For contrast, look at your sad and wasteful post history. Maybe HHM can set you on the right path to message board vitality.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
HHM has not wasted one second. Every post of his is worthwhile and has great merit. Every. Single. One.

For contrast, look at your sad and wasteful post history. Maybe HHM can set you on the right path to message board vitality.

Set me on the right path to message board vitality?? Bahahahaha I am so glad I have a life outside of the internet.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

If you think HHM's troll-stalking is worthwhile and great, that frankly says less about him and more about how horrible your taste in posts is.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Holy fuck. I think you need to see someone.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
so to answer the actual post, i was under the impression that hybrid defenses were called that because they mix one and two gap principles. for example, the seahawks have their leo and under tackle playing one gap, and their nose and strong side end two gapping. then the next play they'll have everyone one gap. etc.

i might be wrong, and maybe they're both hybrids. but the bears played some "3-4" last year simply by standing up mcllellin in a few situations. i don't think that makes them a hybrid defense. but maybe it does.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
so to answer the actual post, i was under the impression that hybrid defenses were called that because they mix one and two gap principles. for example, the seahawks have their leo and under tackle playing one gap, and their nose and strong side end two gapping. then the next play they'll have everyone one gap. etc.

i might be wrong, and maybe they're both hybrids. but the bears played some "3-4" last year simply by standing up mcllellin in a few situations. i don't think that makes them a hybrid defense. but maybe it does.

People call Ds that run both 43 and 34 looks "hybrid," but a true hybrid D is one that incorporates both 1 gap and 2 gap responsibilities from either a 3 or 4 man front; nowadays with most 34s being 1 gap simply referring to the look of the front really doesn't tell you all that much about the actual D being run.

Anyway in response to the OP, either you are 1 gap D or you're a hybrid D. The only team that's a true hybrid D that I can name for sure is Seattle.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
The key word is BOTH, meaning not switching back and forth from 1-gap to 2-gap but having versatile personnel that can play either technique and using them together. So technically there are no strictly 1-gap hybrids...

But at the same time all 4-3 hybrids teams (Seahawks, Patriots, etc) play a 1-gap scheme.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Thanks to the mature adults here who actually answer a question instead of jumping straight to immature circle-jerk bashing.

Definitely good to know - I have a solid understanding of a Tampa 2, but not a ton on other style of defenses.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
English muffin or a biscuit for bkfast? Hmmmm