Any RTS fans?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Games like; Command & Conquer, Warcraft, Starcraft, Age Of Empires, Rise of Nations, Company of Heroes.

Real Time Strategy. Not to be confused with Turn Based Strategy, like Civilization, which is also excellent.

I skipped Age of Empires III when it came out, and just got into it. I must say, wow. One of the best RTS I have ever played. C&C Red Alert 2, and Starcraft 2 are my favorites, but if AoEIII was developed further, I could see how it could have been one of those games that people don't give up on.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like starcraft 2 but playing online got too annoying to me. People are too good at it and its ridiculous. The whole apm thing is just insane. I prefer turn based cause of that.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yeah, I rarely play online multiplayer, unless I play with RL friends. Online Multi sucks the fun out of a lot of games, sometimes because you run into casual players, or super skilled players, but for the most part because people rage quit so much, or it's some 8 year old on a headset that has an orgasm over the thought of poo.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Played a few campaigns on Yuri's Revenge. Never played that one before, and I forgot just how good Red Alert 2 was.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have always been a big RTS fan.... first one for me was actually the first Total War.... Shogun Total War.... been hooked on the series ever since.

I also played C&C Tiberium Wars or w/e that one was called, quite a bit.

Never played the original Starcraft really, but did play Starcraft 2, it was fun.

I played some of the Age of Empires stuff.... and Empire Earth when that was new and cool.

Company of Heroes and the Warhammer 40k Dawn of War games were my favorite recent traditional RTS games.

Another good one is Sins of a Solar Empire.... if anyone has it or picks it up, let me know... Ive always wanted to play with a human ally/opponent.... its a longer more massive RTS you gotta commit at least a few hours to if you are playing multiplayer, but it gets really fun when you build up massive fleets and planets with defenses and junk.

I also picked up Anno 2070 on a Steam deal a year or so ago and enjoyed it.... its kinda limited and its mostly building and economic warfare rather than combat, its fun for an afternoon or 2 every now and again.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I haven't played Company of Heroes. I guess I'm a bit leery, because if it's anything like C&C Generals(I hate this C&C game), then it would be a waste of time. But the more that I read about it, the more I realize my skepticism may not be merited.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I haven't played Company of Heroes. I guess I'm a bit leery, because if it's anything like C&C Generals(I hate this C&C game), then it would be a waste of time. But the more that I read about it, the more I realize my skepticism may not be merited.

Company of Heroes, the original.... was a leap forward in RTS from the Age of the C&C games and their clones.

CoH still employs some base building which is familiar but beyond that the combat is more fun because of the units and diversity of tactics you can employ.... I always felt like C&C and Age of Empires always felt like a game of quantity, build enough buildings and pump out enough units and send them at your enemy and you win. The stuff like CoH and Dawn of War is similar but a bit more detailed which made them fun.

So Crys, you ever tried any Total War games?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
No, I haven't. Where is a good place to start? When I looked it up, it was described as turn based, or is it a RTS?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, I haven't. Where is a good place to start? When I looked it up, it was described as turn based, or is it a RTS?

Well the newest one is Rome 2 Total War.... I like the period and they have finally patched it pretty well to where its enjoyable to play.

Start with Rome 2 if you have the rig for it.... it can be pretty resource intensive.

Total War Campaign is turn based while the battles are fought in real time.... so you get your turn, you move your armies around and if you attack someone you will fight it in real time on a battle map. Once you have done all you can or want to do for your turn, you end your turn and the AI gets to make its moves, and if they attack you then you fight those battles in real time during their turn. Once each AI faction has had their turn it cycles back to you for another turn.

So I suppose its not RTS exactly, I've always called it RTS cause you fight the battles in real time I guess.

If you have good CPU it really helps the game engine zip through simulating the AI turns since it has to not only sim their moves/building but also any AI vs AI battles are simmed as well.

If you do not like the melee heavy arena like Rome, they had a couple recently which were fun.... Empire Total War which was all Napoleon era and Shogun 2 which was samurai era in old feudal Japan and they had an expansion which was Fall of the Samurai where firearms are being introduced to Japan and you can pick whether to go more firearm heavy and new age or stick to the old Samurai ways.

The Total War games also wind up with some pretty awesome mods 1-2 years after they are released, and the mods are often significantly better than the original.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dang wish I saw this thread sooner. I love RTS games. Age of Empires (and it's Star Wars counterpart Galactic Empires) is one of my most favorite games. I also played Age of Empires III recently and it brought me back to some great memories. Fantastic game. I like Starcraft also even though I am significantly worse at it than AoE for whatever reason.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As a kid I played Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings and Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal

I really liked those. Damn, that was a while ago though.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
loved all those games did any of u try America?

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Also have to recommend the Total War series, lot's of bang for your buck.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also have to recommend the Total War series, lot's of bang for your buck.

Though as pointed out it is kinda turn based rather than RTS cause in the campaign map you are turn based while on the battle map you are playing in real time.

But yeah, you can really get alot of enjoyment out of a Total War campaign and they have a very active modding community which can add alot of value after you have worn out the originals.

I have to recommend waiting to purchase new Total War games until they have been patched for a couple months though.... those guys make good games but always release too early.... Rome II is not patched up well enough that the major bugs are pretty ironed out. Rome II is at a good spot to try if anyone was interested.