Bobcats pick watch

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
just the meat and potatoes.

To pick higher than 15 with that top 10 protected pick, we need them to miss the playoffs. Right now we would acquire the 16th overall pick.

The problem is if Charlotte struggles too much and misses the playoffs, they will pick 6 or 7 in the east, but will need 4-5 teams in the West to pick ahead of them to push them out of the top 10 protected status.

We want Atlanta to pass them, and one of Detroit, Cleveland, or the Knicks to steal away the 8th spot. Since that is a long shot for any of those 3 franchises despite them all having more talent, we have to hold our breath.
We also would like two of Denver, New Orleans, or Sacramento to keep a worse record then them so they don't fall in top 10 and give us nothing.

I prefer a pick in the 11-14 range this year over the unprotected option in 2016 because there is no guarantee they don't pick out of the top 15 in 2016. It seems safer to collect in this years draft that is so deep in the top 20. But if we have to get a 16th or higher, it seems better to defer and see if Mirotic comes over to solve PF.

Worth noting....Sacramento has some talent. They could pick as low as 12th, but that pick from the Cleveland trade is 1-12 protected this year. It is unlikely they could catch Minny or Memphis without one of those two tanking (they are going the other direction) or Sac getting a 10 game winning streak going (not happening in the west reality they live in). perhaps next year we will have two firsts as well, when that becomes top 10 protected and they add another top talent in the draft. I prefer Sacramento to lose more this year so they add a good enough player to finish outside the top ten in the next two years, or that pick goes to complete wasted and converts to a second in 2017.

Conclusion. We need a lot of shit to shape up just right or we won't get any pick, or it will be 15th-17th if they make the playoffs. Our franchise balance hangs on some luck here, but two firsts the next 2 years is looking likely.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I've been watching this the whole year, and I'm surprised they're looking like we may actually get the pick this year. The Bulls could very well package their two 1sts, and even some 2nd's, for that matter. If the Charlotte pick is anywhere close to #11, the Bulls could end up with one pick at around 5-8, depending. They should be able to add a pretty good play with that, imo.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am a bit lost on this, if they end up outside of the top we, get the Bobcats pick too?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I am a bit lost on this, if they end up outside of the top we, get the Bobcats pick too?

this year its top 11 protected
next year its top 8 protected
then it becomes unprotected in 2016

right now the pick sits at #16...which means we'll get it since its outside top 11
---

also to Raskolnikov....if the pick is outside the protection range we automatically get it...you cant defer

my personal wish is to trade both our picks this year to move up for a guy like Gary Harris or Zach LaVine

Gary Harris would fit in perfectly...hes a Arron Afflalo type...while Zach LaVine has a higher ceiling...hes like a more athletic Klay Thompson

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
I can see a huge upside to trading both picks to move up into the lottery. That move would fit the current roster as well as the amnesty Boozer and get Melo scenario. If they started 2014-15 with Rose,Butler,Noah,Boozer (or Melo),Gibson,Dunleavy,Snell,Hinrich,Augustin (or a new guy off the scrap heap to be the new version) as the basic rotation with Nazr and high first round making 11 players. Because next year they have a nucleus in place, the following year is more likely to have a chance for Mirotic and they could again have 2 picks.

That said the hard part would be to identify a team with a top 10 pick who thinks they would be better off with 2 mid to late first round players rather than that 1 top 10 player. Depending on salary slots the 2 might cost slightly more than the 1. So some building team willing to take their time would have to have 2 guys in mind in the 16-20 range. Maybe you can evaluate who might be a potential partner for that.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
this year its top 11 protected
next year its top 8 protected
then it becomes unprotected in 2016

right now the pick sits at #16...which means we'll get it since its outside top 11
---

also to Raskolnikov....if the pick is outside the protection range we automatically get it...you cant defer

my personal wish is to trade both our picks this year to move up for a guy like Gary Harris or Zach LaVine

Gary Harris would fit in perfectly...hes a Arron Afflalo type...while Zach LaVine has a higher ceiling...hes like a more athletic Klay Thompson

I like both of those players too. LaVine is more of a project but an exciting one. If we do get Melo, the odds will be with us going for a PF due to the loss of Taj and not being able to bring Mirotic this off season. I don't see Butler leaving because his salary is still low for his worth. Gibson's trade value will be extremely high if he continues to play like he is. If we keep Butler I see us going PF and back-up C. Using someone I know that would make a good Taj clone would be Khem Birch of UNLV. 6'9 with long arms (7'3 wingspan), NBA body and second in the country in blocks and for sure a Thibs type guy. His offensive game is limited but so was Taj when he came in the league. This guy could be a second round steal cause he is on a bad team .

Package a few of the Portland second rounders to move up in second. 16-Seldon, 19-Cauley-Stein, 2nd- Birch

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Not sure why Bulls fans are so excited about The Charlotte pick.

Any pick outside of the top 7 or 10 will not be a NBA ready player, and is essentially useless to the Bulls.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Any pick outside of the top 7 or 10 will not be a NBA ready player, and is essentially useless to the Bulls.

taj-gibson-lakers.jpg

SNC_Butler_10-02_640x360_51863107864.jpg

Say what?

flinchfree

Liked Posts:
I too am hoping for an 11-13 pick to go with ours, packaged to maybe get us down to the 8th pick or so......and maybe Marcus Smart falls to us and becomes a second playmaker on the ball with Rose.....

Saw Levine play for the first time last night and agree he looks to have some nice potential, but think we need to hit a triple instead of hoping for a home run.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:

That's what they said about Klay Thomspon, and Jimmy Butler lol

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

I think the Bulls (As Crystallas just pointed out rather vividly) have done a pretty good job with draft picks. If they get a pick in the top 15...I will be happy with that. Basically, I don't think they are getting Carmelo Anthony when its all said and done, but the Bulls have done a good job of drafting for value wherever they pick and Thibs had done a decent job of developing them.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I don't agree. This is a very good draft this year. Last year's draft was a very weak one. If they can find a good back-up center, which I think they can, it'd be a significant improvement. I also think that the SG and SF field is a good one and could yield a valuable guy off of the bench. In Thib's system, the bench is very important and the players gained in this draft will improve this team.

I also think that they can bring Mirotic and Melo in for next season. They will drop Boozer and Hinrich and Dunleavy and/or possibly trade Gibson which should yield them an expiring contract and a good draft pick if it enables them to bring Carmelo and Mirotic in.

Another thing. If they cannot bring Melo over, don't be surprised if they don't sign Deng back with them. Although I'd certainly prefer Melo, deng would be a seamless move and coupled with Mirotic, two first rounders, and Rose back, the Bulls would also be a very powerful team.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
I don't agree. This is a very good draft this year. Last year's draft was a very weak one. If they can find a good back-up center, which I think they can, it'd be a significant improvement. I also think that the SG and SF field is a good one and could yield a valuable guy off of the bench. In Thib's system, the bench is very important and the players gained in this draft will improve this team.

I also think that they can bring Mirotic and Melo in for next season. They will drop Boozer and Hinrich and Dunleavy and/or possibly trade Gibson which should yield them an expiring contract and a good draft pick if it enables them to bring Carmelo and Mirotic in.

Another thing. If they cannot bring Melo over, don't be surprised if they don't sign Deng back with them. Although I'd certainly prefer Melo, deng would be a seamless move and coupled with Mirotic, two first rounders, and Rose back, the Bulls would also be a very powerful team.

I don't believe Deng is allowed with the Bulls next year for some reason cuz of the trade.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

First off, the Bulls will have two 1st round picks that they can package together if they want. Secondly, it's been widely regarded as the most talented and deepest draft yet. The Bulls likely could land one or two good building blocks with these picks moving forward.

Aren't you the 'trade Noah' guy?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So....are we good calling this pick plus ours McBuckets? I now agree the trade up was the right move since Mirotic also came over, 3 first round picks have no room on this team.