#1 thing for tyrus to work on during the offSeason

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
there are so many that it's hard to choose just one. i would like to see him get a little stronger. isn't he 220 lbs? i dont see him being able to be a presence in the low post without gaining some strength or weight.

other options include being a good man defender, learning to rotate properly, doing something?

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Getting stronger and rebounding. You cant teach hustle which is his biggest weakness.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Getting stronger and rebounding. You cant teach hustle which is his biggest weakness.

You can't teach intelligence, which is why Tyrus will probably never be anything more than Stromile Swift when all is said and done.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Learning how to play basketball :)

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

You can't teach intelligence, which is why Tyrus will probably never be anything more than Stromile Swift when all is said and done.

Man what a post. Remind me to give you some good karma later for that.

fola

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

Seriously? You can't teach intelligence? Then how does one..acquire it? I mean, are we all just born with a certain IQ and it pretty much stays the same--forever? Granted, Ty is a bonehead sometimes. I just don't know that that equates to him being an idiot. Also, id say he's already better than swift.

Just my 2cents. But judging your metrics, i'm not qualified to share.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

Man what a post. Remind me to give you some good karma later for that.

Thanks Newskool. Saw you were in the negative so I gave ya a bump back up to 0. I got taken down a notch. I guess there are more Tyrus fans than I thought out there.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
fola wrote:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

Seriously? You can't teach intelligence? Then how does one..acquire it? I mean, are we all just born with a certain IQ and it pretty much stays the same--forever? Granted, Ty is a bonehead sometimes. I just don't know that that equates to him being an idiot. Also, id say he's already better than swift.

for a guy like Tyrus maybe another year in college or two and he would have been smarter basketball wise. I wont say he is an idiot off the court as I dont know him so I would never say that of someone I didnt know well.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

Pssh. Havent you seen the pictures of him with glasses on?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Diddy1122 wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

Not to knock you or anything, but I think that statement is completely wrong.

Fola pretty much hit what I wanted to say right on the dot. Tyrus is not necessarily dumb as a brick in real life, he's just clueless at times on the court...not necessarily intelligence related IMO. He needs to learn fundamentals, which anyone can do regardless of intelligence level.

IMO Tyrus is already better than Stromile Swift. You see, Tyrus can actually shoot FT's, Swift couldn't do anything other than dunk and block shots, so Tyrus has that little edge over him. NOTE: I said FT's NOT jump shot, though I think Tyrus has a better jumper than Swift too...

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
fola wrote:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

It was a joke, fola. And how are you not qualified to share? Did I call you dumb? I was referencing Tyrus' bball IQ, which I do often.

As for the overall nature of intelligence, well that's a big debate, but heredity is definitely a factor, as is environment, family environment, heck even what you eat at a young age can affect your overall IQ. And sure one's intelligence can improve over time, but it all depends on how well one can reason, comprehend complex ideas, adapt to their environment, and learn from experience. The jury's still out on Tyrus.

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
Tyrus needs to hit the weight room as his first priority, watch a lot of film just as important and lastly practice post moves. Most important for all of us is game film. The Bulls should hire a guru to teach Tyrus or hire a PEwing like Orlando did. You don't have to have D Howard to hire a big man coach why don't we have someone to teach Noah and Thomas? Or do we, I don't know? He should be in the film room constantly and he will get smarter but it is easier if you have a good teacher.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
Tyrus needs to work on the jumper and work on where he should and shouldn't shoot it. I don't think he should go beyond 17 feet. Work on 17 feet and in and just get stronger. He should be able to gain 10lbs this offseason if he started right now. I wanna see how hard he works this summer and I would like to know what he has planned

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
This summer to me is his last chance though, I have been saying to be patient but if he doesn't come into his own this year and be consistent than he will be a bust to me.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
Hendu0520 wrote:
This summer to me is his last chance though, I have been saying to be patient but if he doesn't come into his own this year and be consistent than he will be a bust to me.

Yeah it is. He got the playing time needed this season and improved and though he struggled a bit in the postseason it was still a good learning experience for him. This year he needs to show improvement again. I'm hoping he does.

The first test is how hard will he work this summer. If he puts in the time and gain weight that is a great sign. Tyrus doesn't need to be a allstar, all we need is 12-14pts 8rebs and most important play smart and use his strengths which one of them is running up and down the court putting pressure on the opposing team

Edit: before anyone gets it confused I'm not saying Tyrus strength right now is running up the court but there's no reason it shouldn't be. That's one of Tyrus strength he just doesn't use it.

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
Ralphb07 wrote:
Hendu0520 wrote:

Yeah it is. He got the playing time needed this season and improved and though he struggled a bit in the postseason it was still a good learning experience for him. This year he needs to show improvement again. I'm hoping he does.

The first test is how hard will he work this summer. If he puts in the time and gain weight that is a great sign. Tyrus doesn't need to be a allstar, all we need is 12-14pts 8rebs and most important play smart and use his strengths which one of them is running up and down the court putting pressure on the opposing team

Couldn't put in any better myself.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
I remember when I first fell in love with the Bulls. It was around draft time and I was reading the news paper and it had a mock draft in it - I still have it. I was 16 I think, and I just knew that we were getting exciting back. You think of a guy whom jumps out the gym and can make breath taking defensive plays. Now that I think of it and my IQ on ball has grown, Tyrus knows what his weaknesses are but he shy away from them. He knows he can become a threat down low with that jump hook - you know the one Josh Smith does. I haven't seen Tyrus do one move on the low post - maybe one and it was nice. Other than that, he hasn't shown a finesse back-to-basket move. The guy is wildin out. I want him to become a Chris Bosh mold. He doesn't need to go into advanced conditioning and start bulking, but become a better threat on the high post and the perimeter with his shooting. I don't see how he averaged 10 points per game. He can't finish when he takes someone off the dribble. he dribble is straight line drive. Tyrus also gets out of control when he takes them first steps.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
There are many things Tyrus could do that would make him a very good player.

He could continue to improve his jumper and basically become a consistent offensive threat. With a very good jumper, it would open up his game to drive to the basket and turn him into possibly a dynamic offensive player, because even though he's not a great finisher at the basket, he draws fouls at a really high rate when he has room to attack because people close out on him.

He could improve his finishing and do a better job when he gets in the lane and doesn't have a dunk but has to go to the one handed hook / layup type move. If he did this his FG% could go way up.

He could improve his defensive rebounding, and actually box guys out and rebound at a high rate. If he did this, it would help the Bulls with one of their big weaknesses last year, help ignite the fast break, and make it really hard to take him off the court even if he had the same offensive inconsistencies.

He could improve his man defense where he often had poor defensive awareness because he spends so much time watching the ball to try and get weakside blocks. Like the defensive rebounding this would make it much easier to keep him on the floor even if he's not giving you great offense.

I don't know which of these things is really the singularly most important thing, but he could improve significantly as a basketball player by improving any of them.

I actually don't think hitting the weight room would help him all that much. I think the majority of the issues he has have little to do with strength and more to do with awareness. Tyrus is never going to be a bruiser who holds 280lb guys out of the lane, and I don't see 240lb guys shoving him around.

fola

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
The jury's still out on Tyrus.

That is really all that I was saying. or perhaps should have said. My statement was meant to more tongue and cheek than anything. That said, at this point in his career (given the things we know) I think that its impossible to say we know what he'll become. Conversely, I'm not sure that we have time to wait and see anymore. Or the patience.

OnePointSeven

Liked Posts:
If I could pick out 1 individual thing for Tyrus to continue working on this offseason it would be his jumper. He started hitting it at a pretty good rate, but if he could up that a few notches it would really open up things for him and our entire team.

A consistent jumper from Ty would allow him the ability to use his athleticism off the bounce as well. Ty does have very good handles for his size and his quickness is top notch. The issue is that he can't use them because defenders slack off him, forcing him to take a jumper.

The BIGthing I'd like to see Ty do during the offseason is work with Rose running Pick and Rolls. Rose and him need to be on the same page at all times on the pick and roll. Most importantly, Ty needs to set a better screen and Rose needs to work on setting his defender up to utilize that screen. Once they get that down, the lobs, kick outs and blow bye's will be the byproduct. If he and Rose work on this together this offseason both of their games will be elevated in 2009-10.