How important is character issues in the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
So what you're telling me is there isn't character in the NFL?

:rolleyes: I'm not even going to respond to this idiotic quasi-statement.

My point is; character can reflect on your teammates.

Fine, then just say that, and don't reference VARSITY SPORTS and character elements when talking about the NFL. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other in this regard.

Okay, so you've made your point: "character can reflect on your teammates". Good?

My response: prove it, either beyond a reasonable doubt or by preponderance of the evidence, your choice.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
:rolleyes: I'm not even going to respond to this idiotic quasi-statement.

Fine, then just say that, and don't reference VARSITY SPORTS and character elements when talking about the NFL. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other in this regard.

Okay, so you've made your point: "character can reflect on your teammates". Good?

My response: prove it, either beyond a reasonable doubt or by preponderance of the evidence, your choice.

I'm going to be blunt; you're a douche. I'm not gonna waste my time on this bullshit.

blove

Liked Posts:
Aw man I cannot tell you how many times I've had this discussion with my Colts fan friends. Indianapolis has put the focus on character and integrity with their players in the past, and, in some respect, I think that contributes to their performance on the field. Having a star player who gets in trouble off the field, or, even worse, talks shit about their coach or teammates to the press, it will start to affect the dynamic on the field.
I think a good attitude weighs most when it comes to player character, as it most immediately affects your repertoire with your teammates. After that, a player has to recognize that certain situations, however innocuous they may seem at the time, put them in a position to violate codes of conduct (go to the clubs every night to hook up with drunk chicks, eventually you're going to have an accusation on your hands, guilty or not)

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Aw man I cannot tell you how many times I've had this discussion with my Colts fan friends. Indianapolis has put the focus on character and integrity with their players in the past, and, in some respect, I think that contributes to their performance on the field. Having a star player who gets in trouble off the field, or, even worse, talks shit about their coach or teammates to the press, it will start to affect the dynamic on the field.
I think a good attitude weighs most when it comes to player character, as it most immediately affects your repertoire with your teammates. After that, a player has to recognize that certain situations, however innocuous they may seem at the time, put them in a position to violate codes of conduct (go to the clubs every night to hook up with drunk chicks, eventually you're going to have an accusation on your hands, guilty or not)

You know what Indianapolis also has going for them? Some really good players with a REALLY good Quarterback at the helm, just sayin'.

blove

Liked Posts:
You know what Indianapolis also has going for them? Some really good players with a REALLY good Quarterback at the helm, just sayin'.

Excellent point, I use this in my corner constantly ;)
You have to admit, though, their anti-loudmouth philosophy probably contributes to their camaraderie and team dynamic, thus probably impacting their play in a positive way.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:

Last time I checked, so do the Bears.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Last time I checked, so do the Bears.

Let's see.....

Jay Cutler
Matt Forte (I guess)

/offense

Lance Briggs
Julius Peppers
Brian Urlacher (I guess)

/defense

Yup, what a squad of REALLY good players :rolleyes:

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Excellent point, I use this in my corner constantly ;)
You have to admit, though, their anti-loudmouth philosophy probably contributes to their camaraderie and team dynamic, thus probably impacting their play in a positive way.

Eh, maybe. I'll spot you offensive line camaraderie helping a bit, but "camaraderie" here does not necessarily mean they all go to church together before games, they could probably just as easily build the same type of kinship by drinking whiskey and slappin bitches until 4am. As for everyone else....eh, maybe, a pretty big one at that.

I think what people tend to do is confuse dedication with being an off-field saint (not the who dat's). Peyton Manning has probably had the biggest impact on their offense simply by forcing dedication on everyone on his side of the ball, as evidenced by his ability to take the nobody that was Austin Collie and almost instantly turn him into a big-time TE in the league. His dedication can have an impact on the team, more than likely, but his off-field character--which we're discussing here--almost certainly has nothing to do with it.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
All i know is that the Bengals seem to sign and draft every bad apple they can and last season they did pretty damn good. Lets get us some druggies and women beaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.