Forget Schemes, Play Jimmer

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
what happened to rami?

he get busy with life? or did he retire because yall gave him such a hard time over his opinions?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
what happened to rami?

he get busy with life? or did he retire because yall gave him such a hard time over his opinions?

Latter.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd say that both Thibs and Pop are great coaches. I'd put Thibs slightly behind Pop because of the championships yet Thibs hasn't been a head coach as long as Pop has and Pop has had three all time great NBA players for a long time while Thibs has not. How in the hell can any fan really rate how good a given coach is. I'd say in any sport the greatest coach in the world cannot win without good talent. All that he can do is to play with what the GM and owner have given him and try to motivate them and put them into a system that would get the most production out of them. Thats all that he can do. Both Thibs and Pop do that very well.

bwilde

Liked Posts:
Didn't pop have issues with over playing starters when he became a coach as well? I'm pretty sure he did. I think it's a common issue with new coaches actually

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

czman

Liked Posts:
Didn't pop have issues with over playing starters when he became a coach as well? I'm pretty sure he did. I think it's a common issue with new coaches actually

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Duncan used to play big minutes when he was younger. I am not sure the Bulls have a Tim Duncan on the team where the minutes are warranted.

czman

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I can see how'd you say people thinking the guy is the best nba coach right now is vastly overrating him. It's not like:
He's been to the playoffs every year.
Done it without the teams best player the two years.
A team that is overachieving, again, this year
Having the highest winning percentage of all active coaches.

But you're right, having that thought is silly. Thank Yahweh you're hear to set us straight!

He does not have the highest winning % of all active coaches. Never let the facts get in the way.

the funny thing is that his playoff winning % is under 500. He takes a huge drop in winning % in the playoffs. The thread is about saving guys for the playoffs and not burning the players out in the regular season.

His winning %s are a good example of that.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
30th in points
1st in defense

#bullsbasketball

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He does not have the highest winning % of all active coaches. Never let the facts get in the way.

the funny thing is that his playoff winning % is under 500. He takes a huge drop in winning % in the playoffs. The thread is about saving guys for the playoffs and not burning the players out in the regular season.

5 days after I wrote that I'm sure it has changed.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

The playoffs is more about talent than good coaching. Good coaching is the X-Factor in many matchups, but only if you have talent. The Bulls were a 1 trick pony with Rose. Capable of an ECF appearance which will lose when facing a team with 2-3 talented players. Right now the Bulls have zero superstars and will rely on the way Noah is playing and the shooting of DJ Augustine to win a playoff series, much like how we relied on Nate Robinson last year. Obviously a team that is fairly dysfunctional will suffer even if they have talent (Like Brooklyn last year).

So you see Thibs took a healthy Derrick Rose led team to the ECF in 2011, the Bulls playoff record is 9-7 that year.

2012 they just fell apart after Rose went down and then Noah was lost so you're essentially missing your two best players and have zero offense to speak of at this point in time..The Bulls go 1-4 without Rose and lose the series.

In 2013, the Bulls went up 3-1 on the Nets then lose Deng and Hinrich for the rest of the series and Nate suffers the flu as do a few other players so that made that series much more interesting then it probably would have been had players not gotten sick/injured. The Bulls surprisingly took one from the Heat in the 2nd round, played 2 more competitive games (without Deng and Hinrich) but couldn't win them and lost 4-1 to a vastly superior Miami Heat team. So the Bulls only go 5-8.

This years Bulls will likely be like last years Bulls. They can win in the first round, but will struggle against whoever they draw in the second (Miami or Indiana). Of course Indiana is having its own issues right now with Roy Hibbert being suck and now Bynum is injured again. So there is a glimmer of hope there, but not much.

All in all, it pretty much explains the Thib's poor playoff record and not so much the minutes dished out. Derrick Rose's injury has been killer, not having a true 2nd talent is also killer.

Last edited:

czman

Liked Posts:
I don't know what to tell you. If you think Tibs is the best coach in the league, you can go right ahead. The man has flaws. The Bulls have had been a very injured team since Tibs has taken over. Noah just said that Tibs treats every game, practice, meeting like game 7. That will work in stretches, but over the long haul it will wear players down and lead to burn out and injury.

We have seen it over and over with him. There is nothing wrong with believing that he needs to change. There is nothing wrong with stating that cutting down minutes now may be beneficial in the playoffs.

Ignoring everything and throwing it all under Tibs is the best coach in the league and can do no wrong, is out of touch. It is fandumb.

The really sad part here is that if someone says he is not the best coach in the league it comes off as a bad thing. He is a top 5 coach. That is damn good. I am sure someone will lose their gourde over top 5, but you cannot help someone with no perspective on the NBA.

czman

Liked Posts:
5 days after I wrote that I'm sure it has changed.

If you believe that Tibs had a higher % then pop when you typed that then you are an idiot. Pop did not get move that far past Tibs in a handful of total games. The Spurs have one more total win in that time. Pop also ~1400 regular season games coached.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't know what to tell you. If you think Tibs is the best coach in the league, you can go right ahead. The man has flaws. The Bulls have had been a very injured team since Tibs has taken over. Noah just said that Tibs treats every game, practice, meeting like game 7. That will work in stretches, but over the long haul it will wear players down and lead to burn out and injury.

We have seen it over and over with him. There is nothing wrong with believing that he needs to change. There is nothing wrong with stating that cutting down minutes now may be beneficial in the playoffs.

Ignoring everything and throwing it all under Tibs is the best coach in the league and can do no wrong, is out of touch. It is fandumb.

The really sad part here is that if someone says he is not the best coach in the league it comes off as a bad thing. He is a top 5 coach. That is damn good. I am sure someone will lose their gourde over top 5, but you cannot help someone with no perspective on the NBA.

I don't think he's the best coach in the league until he proves otherwise. One of the best? I'd say so. What he does with what little he has is amazing. So I'd like to see what he could do with a talented team. That will be telling. Noah has had a injury history over the past several seasons that has been contributed to his playing time being too much. Guess what? This year he hasn't suffered an injury nor has his plantar fasciitis flared up. Yet, he is still playing a lot. He's not playing the Jimmy Butler minutes, but Thibs seems dead set on playing a SF 40+ mpg.

I also don't think he can do no wrong, but he's also limited because the team is limited offensively and always has been. The defense is locked down, the front office just needs another go to scorer to who can also play marginal to good defense and we're good to go.

The NBA playoffs are really a different animal than the regular season. Can burnout occur with the Bulls players under Thibs? Sure. But there's only a few players who play large extended minutes on the team...In Rose's MVP year, he didn't play near the minutes Deng was or Butler is now, but he did play heavy minutes. I don't think that really can be attributed to Rose's misfortunes..they are simply misfortunes. The fan just wants to look for a blame to why the Bulls are not title contenders and Thibs is the scapegoat.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Thibs is not infallible. There are definitely times when he rides the wrong guys for too long or sits a hot player, but he's gotten better year after year. Yes he loves his guys, but if you look at the roster the past two seasons, it has been a complete patch work of 1 yr minimum salary role players off the bench so can you really blame him that much? With what he has had, it's an absolute marvel what he has accomplished, especially this year. It amazes me every day how this guy did not get a HC job before GarPax gave him one. He is without question the TRUE MVP of the Chicago Bulls. He is the most prepared coach in the NBA, and quite possibly all-time when it's said and done. If you are a player on his team, you will know your opponent match-up down to whether they dress to the left or right. You give him a healthy roster with one more scorer, and it is almost a guaranteed trip to championship city.

All this being said, we are splitting hairs over a minimum salary role player, with 4 others ahead of him on the depth chart, who's been with the club for barely two weeks. It sounds just as ridiculous as it looks.

Thibs is the reason the team is where it is now. And that reason is his SCHEMES and ROTATIONS. When Rose went down, he changed his entire offense to flow through his center, who is likely going to join some record books this year with what he's done. He adjusted his rotations to increase Taj's minutes and he will be in 6th man & Most Improved consideration at the end of the year. This is what has gotten the team here. There is absolutely no point to change any of that to appease fans who want to see a former college star shoot 3's. While I would like to see what Jimmer can do, and think he can help, I trust Thibs to give him the minutes when 1) he earns them, and 2) he feels he can contribute regularly on the floor.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would like to keep him for next year when Rose is back. Jimmer can score. Pure and simple and would help stretch the D for Rose.

This year I wouldn't mess with the chemistry. But after a off and training camp then figure it out. Until then he should just listen and learn the system during practice.

We all knew that the season was lost when Rose went down. Getting DJ on the team was a season saver and should help lessen the load on Rose next year.

If they can't get a studd in at SF they should push Jimmy's minuets there with Snell.

There should be no reason run them out for 40 per

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
playoffs around the corner Jimmy plays a combined 83 minutes in back to back games....and neither game was close Bulls handled both games easily.....would have been a good time to get players rest but nope

i love thibs and want him to remain Bulls head coach...but hes a bit one way

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
I'm sure someone was popping the champagne corks, Jimmer drops the warmups. He's a healthy body with an expiring contract and months from being a not sought after free agent.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that the Bulls for the last 30 games or so, are playing as good offensively as they ever had since the glory days of MJ. The rotation of the ball with Noah and the other bigs as the facilitators is fascinating to me. Now.......THAT is great coaching and execution.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
well they added brewer HOPEFULLY this means a minute decrease for Butler