I would not let Taj or Butler prevent me from pulling trigger on Melo!

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
Just don't bend over and give EVERYTHING to acquire him, Melo must be willing to sacrifice too. I would structure a backloaded deal with a player option. I would dislike giving up Taj, but I know I can replace him if I had to. Same with Butler. If I give up Butler OR Gibson, I WANT TO KEEP ONE OF THOSE PICKS TO REPLACE HIM.

If you are going in, be TOTALLY in. Otherwise, just resign Deng.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Crazy ... the Bulls won't dump Butler and Taj to get Melo. The Bulls will sign Mirotic, two 1st round picks, and a cheaper SF in FA'cy before they do that, imo!

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Familiarity shouldn't hold up getting an All-Star ultra scorer. What stat happy fans ignore is the toughness that Gibson brings and even more so Butler. You can find guys to replace the stats Gibson puts up but there are few if any who bring the determination game in and game out that he does. You know in NASCAR they used to call Dale Earnhardt sr., The Intimidator' because he would wreck you to beat you and wasn't afraid to say so.

Well you can see in Lebron James a guy who intimidates most opponents but the Bulls have Jimmy Butler who stands up to him, way better than Loul did. And Gibson is the same way. Did you hear that stat at the end, first time in 4 1/2 years James did not shoot a free throw in a game, an OT game to boot.

For all that Anthony can do what he isn't is tough, not the way Noah, Gibson and Butler, even Hinrich are. And pay attention to your coach, Thibs counts on that toughness. So yes you want him because he can score but you don't want to cut the heart out of your team or you're not gaining as much as you need to get over the top.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
You won´t see me crying as long as the Bulls keep Rose, Hinrich, Augustin, Butler, Snell, Gibson & Noah!
That's a very crowded backcourt once Rose comes back. Either Hinrich or Augustine ain't coming back.

EDIT: Next year I mean, for those of us holding out hope that Rose plays in the playoffs.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
That's a very crowded backcourt once Rose comes back. Either Hinrich or Augustine ain't coming back.

EDIT: Next year I mean, for those of us holding out hope that Rose plays in the playoffs.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that he will. But that's another thread.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If by play in the playoffs you mean
black-sports-online-derrick-rose-eating-candy.jpg

I'll take you guys up on that.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
Familiarity shouldn't hold up getting an All-Star ultra scorer. What stat happy fans ignore is the toughness that Gibson brings and even more so Butler. You can find guys to replace the stats Gibson puts up but there are few if any who bring the determination game in and game out that he does. You know in NASCAR they used to call Dale Earnhardt sr., The Intimidator' because he would wreck you to beat you and wasn't afraid to say so.

Well you can see in Lebron James a guy who intimidates most opponents but the Bulls have Jimmy Butler who stands up to him, way better than Loul did. And Gibson is the same way. Did you hear that stat at the end, first time in 4 1/2 years James did not shoot a free throw in a game, an OT game to boot.

For all that Anthony can do what he isn't is tough, not the way Noah, Gibson and Butler, even Hinrich are. And pay attention to your coach, Thibs counts on that toughness. So yes you want him because he can score but you don't want to cut the heart out of your team or you're not gaining as much as you need to get over the top.

You just described the difference between a role player and a star. I can replace Taj Gibson with a Birdman at 1/4 the cost on the Bulls and not miss a beat. I can draft a better 2 guard than Jimmy Butler in this draft. Anthony relishes busting LeBron's ass on the offensive end. Bottom line, when the playoffs begin and EVERYBODY is playing hard, talent wins out and the Bulls need a closer.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
You just described the difference between a role player and a star. I can replace Taj Gibson with a Birdman at 1/4 the cost on the Bulls and not miss a beat. I can draft a better 2 guard than Jimmy Butler in this draft. Anthony relishes busting LeBron's ass on the offensive end. Bottom line, when the playoffs begin and EVERYBODY is playing hard, talent wins out and the Bulls need a closer.

While I like the idea of acquiring Melo...you will miss a few beats if you replace Gibson with Birdman.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
we dont have to give up Butler for Melo unless it was a sign and trade and even then we could prob still manage to keep him

we would have to dump Taj+Dunleavy (along with booz amnesty) to free enough cap for a max contract

i like Taj but we're taking about Carmelo

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
we dont have to give up Butler for Melo unless it was a sign and trade and even then we could prob still manage to keep him

we would have to dump Taj+Dunleavy (along with booz amnesty) to free enough cap for a max contract

i like Taj but we're taking about Carmelo

I don't think they will get him honestly. He would have to walk away from too much money, and the Big Chief might be going back to the Big Apple...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24471880/how-much-less-is-melo-willing-to-take-to-leave-new-york

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/report-knicks-may-be-landing-phil-jackson-030814

[/URL]

Cerebral

Liked Posts:
If Melo wants the max contract Gibson is as good as gone. The problem after that is we'll be able to keep Butler for cheap for another year or two but then he's going to want a big contract and as up and coming elite wing defender he can demand around 8 million a year. Now, because the Bulls have his bird rights they can go over the cap to resign him. But, Reinsdorf has said in the past he doesn't mind going over the luxary tax as long as it brings a championship.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You cannot mention Gibson and Birdman as akin to the other. Gibson is a whole bunch better than the freak, especially in the offensive end as with rebounding the ball. You mention Butler as being easy to replace but you are completely wrong there also. From the get go both Butler and Gibson could rebound and play defense. It was on offense that they had to improve on as in three seasons worth. There is not a college player right now that would be as good right now as either of them on defense and rebounding at their respective positions.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I don't think they will get him honestly. He would have to walk away from too much money, and the Big Chief might be going back to the Big Apple...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24471880/how-much-less-is-melo-willing-to-take-to-leave-new-york

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/report-knicks-may-be-landing-phil-jackson-030814

[/URL]

While I'm hopeful that he will join the Bulls, and even though he's publically stated he'd take a pay cut to win a ring, 99.9% of the time, players go for the bigger paycheck. However, even if Phil joins the organization, and it's still an IF, I don't see how he can clean up that mess in just a manner of a few years. That team is capped beyond belief for the next 3 years, with almost no draft picks (no 1st rounders til I think 2016?), a roster full of knuckleheads who don't fit together skill-wise, and an owner who meddles in everything that his FO does. Personally, if I was Phil Jackson, I would stay far the hell away from the Knicks. And if I was Melo, I'd be gone the second I opt out.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
While I'm hopeful that he will join the Bulls, and even though he's publically stated he'd take a pay cut to win a ring, 99.9% of the time, players go for the bigger paycheck. However, even if Phil joins the organization, and it's still an IF, I don't see how he can clean up that mess in just a manner of a few years. That team is capped beyond belief for the next 3 years, with almost no draft picks (no 1st rounders til I think 2016?), a roster full of knuckleheads who don't fit together skill-wise, and an owner who meddles in everything that his FO does. Personally, if I was Phil Jackson, I would stay far the hell away from the Knicks. And if I was Melo, I'd be gone the second I opt out.

I agree man, but he has to decide whether he wants to be in the conversation when it comes to this era's greats...or just a footnote. I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to the Knicks either.