The Bears Offseason [Updated with Each Move]

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMO the arrow is starting to trend down on Emery.

Emery hasn't made good player personnel decisions on Defense in the draft or FA up to this point. i cant name one guy that he has brought in that has played better than average or stayed healthy enough to help this team. This is his third season so I expect better results on this side of the ball.

Offensively he has found gems in FA and the draft but just like I was hard on Lovie for only being competent with defense I refuse to give Emery a pass as well.

Trestman is going into his second year and I expect him to get better with game management and overseeing what his D coaches are doing.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
In my first year and a half on this message board I was disliked once and once only, and that was because I disliked Sevvy by mistake and then he disliked me back. I have been disliked 3 times today alone for making the same comment as Bearmick. This message board has become an Emery/Trestman fan cult where you can only say positive things about every move they make.

#disliked

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
IMO the arrow is starting to trend down on Emery.

Emery hasn't made good player personnel decisions on Defense in the draft or FA up to this point. i cant name one guy that he has brought in that has played better than average or stayed healthy enough to help this team. This is his third season so I expect better results on this side of the ball.

Offensively he has found gems in FA and the draft but just like I was hard on Lovie for only being competent with defense I refuse to give Emery a pass as well.

Trestman is going into his second year and I expect him to get better with game management and overseeing what his D coaches are doing.

I see where you are coming from but when Emery joined the Bears the defense wasnt really the problem, it was the offensive side of the ball. Emery took his time to turn the offense around and now since thats completed he is going to take the time to fix the defense. Yes Emery hasnt drafted that great on defense at all but do you blame him when the otherside of the ball was more desperate for help?

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Forget about Lovie. Here are 10 things that piss me off, not in any particular order.

1) Kicking the FG in the Minnesota game

2) Not negotiating with Urlacher

3) Bringing back Cutler from injury too soon

4) And then keeping Cutler in that game way too long

5) Hiring Tucker

6) Not firing Tucker

7) Totally overpaying Cutler, killing us financially

8) The theory that all games are created equal, they certainly are not

9) Not cutting Podlesh and finding a new punter last year

10) Relying on DJ Williams at MLB when he can't stay healthy, or is suspended for drugs or alcohol every year, and now bringing him back with Urlacherish pay

Only thing I disagree on is #7. You won't be singing that tune when in the next few years, teams are paying 20+ mil for their QBs when Jay's sitting at 14-16 mil per year and giving us more cap to work with. Emery was clearly ready to absorb a huge chunk of money this year for the future. It's why Peppers wasn't designated for June 1st cuts and why most of the long-term resignings have been pretty front-loaded. It's a move planning for the future and it wont' cripple us later on. By year 6 and 7 of Cutler's contract of 20+ mil/year (if he's around by then), I'm sure he'll work on a new deal or be shipped out.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
mikecwright Michael C. Wright
A total of 34 corners and safeties are scheduled to work out at an NFL regional combine on Saturday at the Walter Payton Center.

If Tillman isnt signed by Saturday we might see a lot of different names come into play regarding the Bears. Saturday could be an interesting day for the remaining DB's.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Feel free to add your own mock draft now that the offseason has more clarity.
I really don't think it's that more clear as far as who our 1st or 2nd rounder will be. If we sign Melton or another DT to play the 3 tech then we could go secondary first but if we don't then i can see Donald or Jernigan.

CuttyDoesIt6

Liked Posts:
If the Draft was today:

1. Clinton-Dix S Alabama
2. Roby CB Ohio St
3. Johnson DT LSU
4. Smallwood ILB UConn
5. Archer RB Kent St
6. Ellis DT Louisiana St
6. Lyerla TE Oregon

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
mikecwright Michael C. Wright
A total of 34 corners and safeties are scheduled to work out at an NFL regional combine on Saturday at the Walter Payton Center.

If Tillman isnt signed by Saturday we might see a lot of different names come into play regarding the Bears. Saturday could be an interesting day for the remaining DB's.

I think that means college prospects no?

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Ya it is I completely read Wrights tweet wrong, even though I re-posted it word for word haha.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Ha, I did that at first too but I had to re-read it because I thought that's a shit ton of FA's to be bringing in.

Haha thats why I was kind of at peace for a while regarding our DB situation, figured we had to fine 1 person within that group of 34 butttt now its got me thinking again.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If we re-sign Tillman, then draft 1. DT, 2. S, 3. CB

Dot re-sign Tillman: 1. CB, 2. S, 3. DT

Liked Posts:
In my first year and a half on this message board I was disliked once and once only, and that was because I disliked Sevvy by mistake and then he disliked me back. I have been disliked 3 times today alone for making the same comment as Bearmick. This message board has become an Emery/Trestman fan cult where you can only say positive things about every move they make.

Here's the issue I see: I haven't seen much of your posts but with most who bash & bitch about Emery have either ZERO resolution or a very unrealistic one.

For those who criticize Emery, I ask you this.

What more should he have done by this point? You can just look at the FA period that started 3 days ago but everything he has done since the season ended.

He was put into a very "low key" nightmare of a situation with aging vets on the defensive side of the ball & an offense that was terrible. He's fixed one, held it together (re-signed key players) & has now turned his focus to the other side of the ball.

Is he supposed to go out & over pay for a player like Bennett who obviously didn't want to leave or Johnson, a guy who hasn't played consistently since coming into the league.

They are on a tight budget for this year but have set themselves up to have a dominant offense for years to come while building the defense over a 2 year period, which is the same it took the offense.

They have upgraded at 3 positions, retained one of their better players & haven't even hit the draft yet. Give it some time or at least (not you, just in general) give a realistic alternative & knowledgeable reason behind it.

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
I think we getting a CB 1st round in the draft. Sorry Tillman!

MrDerp

Liked Posts:
1st Doanald DT Pitt
2nd Jimmie Ward S NIU
3rd Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska
4th Dion Bailey S USC
5th Walt Aikens CB Liberty
6th Avery Williamson MLB Kentucky
6th Tom Savage QB Pitt

I would be very happy if the board fell this way.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Ty Youngfelt ‏@TyYoungfelt 25m

Bears looking for DT depth behind Paea, checking Pat Sims, Brandon Deaderick...Waiting out CB market, likely to sign starter from remaining

I'll take Par Sims as a depth signing

MrDerp

Liked Posts:
Paea is more of a 3 than a NT anyways. His skillset is best suited as a 3 but has the strength to play nose. Depth on the Dline is so important keeping those big boys fresh throughout the game and a season.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
1. Donald DT
2. Bucannon FS/SS
3. Keith McGill/ Stanley Jean/ J. Watkins CB (best remaining in that order)
4. Chris Smith DE
5. Smallwood LB
6. Crockett TE
6. D. Archer WR/RB/KR

Ps this is if we sigh Tillman for 1-2 year deal.