1st Round: DL or DB?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It seems there are 2-3 highly regarded 1st Rd. prospects at both DL and at Safety that this board is high on.

Who will be a big time generational game changer for this D for years to come? Is there a next Mike Brown in the mix or is that too much to ask?

If there's NOT a clear standout or 2 that should be grabbed if lucky enough to fall to #14, trading down a few spots might be worth it if 3-4 equally good targeted guys are still avail. at 14. If so, can still get a choice at 18-20 AND another pick. Depends on which teams are directly after #14 & their needs.

Thoughts on this or on 1st Round targets in general?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Aaron Donald
Justin Gilbert
Darqueze Denard
Ha Ha Clinton Dix
Calvin Pryor

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
dead-horse.jpg

RisWell

Liked Posts:
There are over a dozen superstars we can get @ 14. It's about finding who it is.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I would like to see either of these combinations if the players are available:

1:
1. HaSean Clinton Dix - FS
2. Stephon Tuitt - DE/DT/ RaShede Hageman - DT/ Dominique Easley - DT/ Kareem Martin - DT

or

2:
1. Aaron Donald - DT/ Kony Ealy - DE/ Timmy Jernigan - DT
2. Jimmie Ward - SS

HTJ Ward would be cool but I would like a combination of HaSean Clinton Dix in the first round and Stephon Tuitt in the second round since Tuitt can play either DE or DT like LaMarr Houston.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I really don't see a way Emery can F up our first pick if he stays at #14. One of Donald,Gilbert,Dennard,HaHa,Pryor or Mosely will be there and i see all of them as good NFL guys.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks for those w/ legit responses. It seems like lots of options - just depends on who are the MUST HAVES that might fall to 14 vs. fall to 18-20 as to whether trading down is worth it. If there are 4-6 legit guys Bears want/need, maybe a trade down in 1st, trade UP in 2nd? Will any of the above 4-6 guys fall to late 2nd? Things read no most likely.

Yes, this is off-season fodder only.

Sentinel

Liked Posts:
I would like to see either of these combinations if the players are available:

1:
1. HaSean Clinton Dix - FS
2. Stephon Tuitt - DE/DT/ RaShede Hageman - DT/ Dominique Easley - DT/ Kareem Martin - DT

or

2:
1. Aaron Donald - DT/ Kony Ealy - DE/ Timmy Jernigan - DT
2. Jimmie Ward - SS

HTJ Ward would be cool but I would like a combination of HaSean Clinton Dix in the first round and Stephon Tuitt in the second round since Tuitt can play either DE or DT like LaMarr Houston.

Accurate. I like the second option more. Grab Aaron Donald as Melton's supplement/replacement in the 1st round and either Ward or Bucannon in the 2nd and hope Martin is there in the 3rd. 3 players that will be keys to the Bears defense moving forward.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Thanks for those w/ legit responses. It seems like lots of options - just depends on who are the MUST HAVES that might fall to 14 vs. fall to 18-20 as to whether trading down is worth it. If there are 4-6 legit guys Bears want/need, maybe a trade down in 1st, trade UP in 2nd? Will any of the above 4-6 guys fall to late 2nd? Things read no most likely.

Yes, this is off-season fodder only.

I would be down with a trade down in 1st and trade up in 2nd, the Bears could lock up a good DL and DB by doing that.
Even just trading down in 1st and having an extra pick would be nice.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Accurate. I like the second option more. Grab Aaron Donald as Melton's supplement/replacement in the 1st round and either Ward or Bucannon in the 2nd and hope Martin is there in the 3rd. 3 players that will be keys to the Bears defense moving forward.

Thanks and I agree with that. If Martin was available in the 3rd round after taking Donald and Ward, that would be a nice draft and the Bears would be set. Next season the Bears could draft a cornerback in the first round if the 2014 draft works out that way.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I side on the, it all starts up front but there are some real good Safety candidates out there that I wouldn't be upset with if the Bears went that route. Good 3 tech though would be real nice. Donald or Jernigan, but I think I would go safety if Donald wasn't there. Obviously barring someone top 10 dropping for some unknown reason.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
There are a couple hard hitting safeties in the form of Mike Brown:

Calvin Pryor (1 rd)
Deone Buchannon (2-3 rd)
Ahmad Dixon (3-4 rd)

Theres obvious reasons why Pryor is better, but there's not much separation of talent between them, so if we end up with Dixon in a 3rd round, it doesn't bother me much.

Since Emery's stressed versatility in the new defense, I can see a guy like Lamarcus Joyner step into the fray. He can play S/CB, very quick, and is a special teams contributor.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good to know there are viable later Rd. Safety options who could start while allowing DL in 1st &/or 2nd.

There's a lot of posting about Ha-Ha as a 1st Rd S, but I've yet to see metrics or a scouting report. Sounds like he won't fall far. Legit 1st or hype?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would go safety or CB.

I think Phil will go DT.

GrinAndBearIt

Liked Posts:
If Donald is thier I would pick him, he has a mean streak in him on the field that would fit in a new def identity. He plays like he has somthing to prove. Ward, Joyner , in second, becuz they play with great intensity and instincts that fit the character I would like our team have going forward. Tough, confident , aggresive players with great instincts that have a killer mentality in them on the field that have playmaking skills.

paytonisgod

Liked Posts:
Unless you are sure that you are drafting an elite safety in the Ed Reed mold I would never take a safety that early. The impact of a good DT is far more than that of a Safety. If you have a great front seven it can dramatically improve the safeties performance. But having a great safety will not make your front seven significantly better. Great safeties are a luxury for teams that feel they are just missing a piece or two. That's not the Bears right now.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
CJ Mosley MLB Alabama...

Why not? we actually can draft other guys later in the draft to play DT or DB...

there are literally no sure thing MLBs after Mosley in the draft

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
CJ Mosley MLB Alabama...

Why not? we actually can draft other guys later in the draft to play DT or DB...

there are literally no sure thing MLBs after Mosley in the draft

Mosley is a weak-side linebacker in a 4-3 defense and he would be a good one at that. He would get eaten up in the run game at MLB though. Think Bostic except better in pass coverage. They are both better outside LB's in a 4-3.