CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Louisville Pro Day Notes - 11:39 am ET - Teddy Bridgewater had an underwhelming scripted passing workout in which he completed 57 out of 65 passes with 2 drops, NFL Network Analyst, Mike Mayock, called it "a very average workout at best"...11:14 am ET - Eagles HC Chip Kelly, Raiders HC Dennis Allen, Jaguars HC Gus Bradley, Texans HC Bill O'Brien, Titans HC Ken Whisenhunt, and Vikings HC Mike Zimmer and OC Norv Turner are in attendance at the Louisville pro day... 10:06 am ET - Teddy Bridgewater ran an unofficial 4.78 forty-time...8:49 am ET - Representatives from 29 NFL teams are in attendance at the Louisville pro day this morning, with the Dolphins, Redskins, and Steelers being the three teams not represented - Teddy Bridgewater weighed in at 208, which is 6 pounds lighter than his weight (214) at the combine.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I like all of Louisville's defense. Calvin Pryor, I'm obviously a fan of....though not at 14. Marcus Smith is one of my favorite prospects in the draft, think he's very underrated. I also like guys like Preston Brown (LB) and Hakeem Smith (S) late in the draft. Brown is probably best as a 3-4 ILB, but I don't see why he couldn't be a 2-down MLB in the 4-3. Can't really cover. Hakeem Smith looks the part. He plays the CF position at FS while he lets Pryor roam, he's always in pretty good position, but he doesn't really make a ton of plays if that makes sense. He's kinda like Conte was in 2012. Doesn't really screw up a ton, but doesn't really make a difference either. But I think he could be developed. Not as big or fast as Conte, but rangy. Probably not more than a 6th round pick.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
There is absolutely no rhyme or reason that I would draft a strong safety at 14. Good god what a waste of value,it would be to take a player who would add nothing to your passing defense. If the Bears draft Pryor at 14 I might have an aneurysm, a pure waste. Bring back Major Wright they're virtually the same player.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The negatives make him sound like a mindless caveman with tunnel vision. That alone scares me away.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Definitely a SS. Could play free, but I see him as a guy within 15 yards if the LOS most of the time.

He has the skill set to play either and with his range and ball hawking skills it would be a waste to envision him as purely as a SS. Hell, in today's NFL the designation between the two isn't nearly as relevant as it used to be and you really should target versatile safeties with all around skill sets capable of filling both roles.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Better than Clinton-Dix..

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He has the skill set to play either and with his range and ball hawking skills it would be a waste to envision him as purely as a SS. Hell, in today's NFL the designation between the two isn't nearly as relevant as it used to be and you really should target versatile safeties with all around skill sets capable of filling both roles.

Ok? The post you quoted by me said, he could play FS. Not sure what you are arguing. But he's definitely more suited to come in and play a traditional SS right now. Obviously, he's going to have to play some 2-deep at some point, which is why I said within 15 yards of the LOS "most of the time". You're arguing something that was never said.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he has good instincts. He seems to pick his spots to try to make the big hits. You can't make big hits unless you can diagnose and react quick enough or have exceptional closing speed. 4.58 40 doesn't say exceptional closing speed to me (though it does look fast on tape). So, yes I think he is coachable. Definitely would need a good front 7, but moreso a very good FS behind him. You need a guy that can play off of him and allow him to roam. That's why Ryan Clark has worked out well with Polamalu.

Everything from that scouting report says the opposite. Describes him as someone with poor instincts can't anticipate and has to wait for someone to get the ball so he can go blow them up.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Everything from that scouting report says the opposite. Describes him as someone with poor instincts can't anticipate and has to wait for someone to get the ball so he can go blow them up.

And? You want me to find you a scouting report that says the exact opposite? Actually, most say the opposite.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
RTB, is Mike Brown a comparable player? I never watched Pryor in college.

All that wasn't my work, so to be honest, I have no idea. I will say that Sig Bloom is one of my favorite evaluators out there, but he does get some wrong too, just like anybody else that does this for a living.

I'll post a couple more players later on this week that the Bears could be eyeing.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Short evaluations with very little detail, plus the major sites hardly ever go out on a limb with negatives, especially the 1st round prospects.

So, because they're not novels they're not true? That was just a quick Google search for "Calvin Pryor instincts". Could have turned up good or bad. And honestly, I didn't need any of those damn sites to tell me he is an instinctual player. I have eyes and am a former college safety. But I guess, since I didn't write a book abou tit.......

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
I don't think Pryor fits the mold as Emery type player. Doesn't have rare size or speed. I think good instincts are the most important part of being a safety. If this kid can't diagnose plays and make adjustments in the secondary then I'll pass. The bears desperately need a leader back there. A strong leader at SS has been missing since 2006. I don't know if that is Dix or somebody else but we need them bad.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't think Pryor fits the mold as Emery type player. Doesn't have rare size or speed. I think good instincts are the most important part of being a safety. If this kid can't diagnose plays and make adjustments in the secondary then I'll pass. The bears desperately need a leader back there. A strong leader at SS has been missing since 2006. I don't know if that is Dix or somebody else but we need them bad.

He made 100 tackles as a sophomore, and 74 this past year, while incepting 8 passes and breaking up 14 others in his career. He can diagnose plays and make adjustments.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
The Comparisons to Mariweather are extremely short sighted. He plays much faster than Mariweather ever did. His play on the ball in the air is also light years ahead of Mariweather. The only thing the two had in common is that they are both big hitters but the fact is Pryor is a bigger hitter, a true eraser. Mariweather is just a punk cheap shot artist.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, because they're not novels they're not true? That was just a quick Google search for "Calvin Pryor instincts". Could have turned up good or bad. And honestly, I didn't need any of those damn sites to tell me he is an instinctual player. I have eyes and am a former college safety. But I guess, since I didn't write a book abou tit.......

It's one guys opinion, deal with it man!