Get Your "I Live Every Day Like It's Still 1985. Bear Down." Shirt/Hoodie Today!

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I'm just going to throw this out there because it needs to be said: Do you realize that there is a substantial probability that you are engaging in trademark infringement by selling these tee shirts? Unless, of course, you have some sort of license from the Bears.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Why are there no spaces?

And what's Creative?

I'malittleconfusedatthisshirt.I'msorry.It'sprobablynotyou,it'sprobablyme.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
I'm just going to throw this out there because it needs to be said: Do you realize that there is a substantial probability that you are engaging in trademark infringement by selling these tee shirts? Unless, of course, you have some sort of license from the Bears.

I have some experience in licensing artwork for apparel/distribution. Most times there are cases of businesses able to make profit on parody or tribute related artwork specific to a team/city without using recognized logos/artwork.

Some great examples of this:
http://believe.bigcartel.com/
http://homage.com

Notice both examples directly reference teams/cities without using their recognized and copyrighted artwork.

My advice to you OP, hire some artists and start developing some real ideas.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I have some experience in licensing artwork for apparel/distribution. Most times there are cases of businesses able to make profit on parody or tribute related artwork specific to a team/city without using recognized logos/artwork.

Some great examples of this:
http://believe.bigcartel.com/
http://homage.com

Notice both examples directly reference teams/cities without using their recognized and copyrighted artwork.

My advice to you OP, hire some artists and start developing some real ideas.

Just so we are clear, what the above poster is saying is likely a way around the issue here. As it stands, you are using the Bears C, which is a trademark. Note, I said trademark not copyright. Use of that C, even if it would otherwise fall under fair use in copyright law, would not fall under fair use in trademark law (a much different legal issue). It should also be noted that using the team's name on clothing in a similar fashion could also result in trademark infringement.

Mitchapalooza

doubt a franchise like the bears are gonna sue a person making shirts on the internet.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
doubt a franchise like the bears are gonna sue a person making shirts on the internet.

In a small capacity, yea not worth the headache.
Full-fledged business making good money; they can start asking for royalties.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:

Correct. IMO they would go after TeeSpring who is manufacturing and distributing the goods.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
FWIW...

Personally I would of went with "I'm gonna party like it's 1985!"

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:

They will if they have to. Just by allowing an infringing mark to be used in commerce can eventually result in the forfeiture of their own trademarks. Trademark enforcement is very important.

But in the real world context, they would likely give him a few opportunities to stop before they sued.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Hmmmmmmi'mnotsurehowifeelaboutthatshirt.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Hmmmmmmi'mnotsurehowifeelaboutthatshirt.

They will if they have to. Just by allowing an infringing mark to be used in commerce can eventually result in the forfeiture of their own trademarks. Trademark enforcement is very important.

But in the real world context, they would likely give him a few opportunities to stop before they sued.
I was about 10 posts ahead of you guys :shifty:
Why are there no spaces?

And what's Creative?

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Why are there no spaces?

And what's Creative?

he forgot the "#" in the beginning

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's not something to be proud of. That's sad...
That is exactly what is wrong with a lot of Bear fans, too many are sucked into the past. One Super Bowl championship is not something to be proud of, especially with the amount of time that the Bears have been around. 1985 was 29 years ago. It is time to move on.