Should Bears offer Melton a 2 year contract?

Liked Posts:
2 yr\14 mil with 5 guaranteed (4.5 this year, 500,000 the next)
Incentives could pay as high as the full 14 mil if he performs but more likely in the 11 mil range for the duration if he bounces back.

Not sure Melton would take that though.

Melton won't get more than $5M annually. Can't pay him that much coming off an ACL when he relies on speed as much as he does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocBito831

Liked Posts:
Nor Cal born, Nor Cal raised. Orange County living
Is melton fools gold at this point?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Melton won't get more than $5M annually. Can't pay him that much coming off an ACL when he relies on speed as much as he does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe not but if you take the gamble, you could get a pro-bowl caliber DT at <14 mil for 2 years. That's less than tagging him twice. It is a big risk though with someone like Donald potentially available at 14. Maybe lower the guaranteed money to 4 mil. I don't think he gets any less than that.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder what he has been asking so far.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Maybe not but if you take the gamble, you could get a pro-bowl caliber DT at <14 mil for 2 years. That's less than tagging him twice. It is a big risk though with someone like Donald potentially available at 14. Maybe lower the guaranteed money to 4 mil. I don't think he gets any less than that.

First the Bears know more about his rehabbing than any other team so if they want to risk it, then its probably a good idea. Secondly by signing him and then passing on Donald that enables the Bears to draft another starter quality player so signing Melton is a bit like getting a two for one deal. His presence adds another starter in a different position that will be taken in the draft in the first round.

The Kaiser

Liked Posts:
First the Bears know more about his rehabbing than any other team....

This is why I think the Bears are ready to let him walk. After getting his Franchise tag, Melton came out last year out of shape and it showed in the first few games. You could also speculate that his injury was related to poor conditioning as well. The fact is that ACL rehabbing is a fricking hard grind. It will take a ton of work and dedication to get back to health. Have we seen that from Melton? Not sure....Emerey suggested in a press conference earlier that Melton was working hard but that may have been professional courtesy-- it certainly felt like it. All we have seen in the off season is Melton getting drunk, getting in a fight, biting a guy in a bar and then getting sued publicly while trying to sell himself to potential suitors.

All of this raises a bunch of red flags about his rehab and his ability to rebound from this injury. If the Bears decide not to match a relatively low ball offer, I think it will be because they have insights into Melton's commitment and character that other teams don't have....

Liked Posts:
If the Cowboys signing Melton means they won't leapfrog us for Donald in the draft let them have him. Whats going on with Linval Joseph in free agency anyway? I rather have Joseph, or DaQuan Jones from the draft to start at the 1-shade & get Donald to line up as the 3-Tech. I think that would be a very effective DT tandem moving forward.

Reactions: WCL

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If the Cowboys signing Melton means they won't leapfrog us for Donald in the draft let them have him. Whats going on with Linval Joseph in free agency anyway? I rather have Joseph, or DaQuan Jones from the draft to start at the 1-shade & get Donald to line up as the 3-Tech. I think that would be a very effective DT tandem moving forward.

Linval Joseph is long gone. Vikings.

Liked Posts:
Linval Joseph is long gone. Vikings.

Really? Well shit. That really sucks. Good signing for them. I still would rather get Donald & someone like DaQuan in the mid rounds or even a behemoth like Carrethers in the late rounds. At this point, I don't if Melton is less of a risk coming off from an ACL injury, than a first round talent, that I think is going to end up better than Melton.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Having Melton leave sucks. He is one of those draft picks that actually worked out. I always had high hopes for the guy and he became a stud. Emery wants to build the team through the draft and ensure that the team is made up of quality drafted players. When citing the % of players on the team that were drafted by said team makes me think we want to retain our own. This would pose a few more questions to Emery in my book but also annoy me that a glaring hole exists at DL come draft night.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
maybe everyone else saw something i don't, but id let him walk. he is 27 coming off a real injury, was never game changer consistantly, obvious mental issues with biting someone and overpriced. lets draft young, pay a much lower salary and move on.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
But I think it will also raise flags about Emery's ability to assess talent. How can Emery go from being so enamored of Melton that he franchise's him, and then after a year in which the entire defense collapses, Emery does an about-face and is ready to cut Melton loose for nothing? You would think that a franchise player would get a "pass" for a subpar season in which the player was injured and the team was a mess overall.

If Emery is willing to get rid of Melton due to "commitment and character" issues when he really doesn't have a replacement on hand (Ratliff?), then I would question the wisdom of Emery franchising Melton in the first place. Where were these "commitment and character" issues two years ago?

His ACL tore in half. There is this thing called the draft where you can fill holes. I think you are taking the 'franchise' tag too literal. Kickers and punters get the franchise tag too. It is just a tool that benefits the team, not the player. You question why Emery tagged Melton. I applaud him for the move for these exact circumstances. I wanted him on the team last year but wasn't 100% confident I wanted the bears to give him a long term deal.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
IMO, Phil looks like a genius here. As soon Henry tastes a little moola he gets lazy and starts biting people's kidneys.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
100% right midway...our needs this year are different than last year also...turn the page and move on.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
2 words -

FUCK and NO.

Only an idiot would sign him to a 2 year deal.