Should Bears offer Melton a 2 year contract?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
2 words -

FUCK and NO.

Only an idiot would sign him to a 2 year deal.

You know, you can sign him to a 2-year deal and not guarantee him any money beyond 2014, right? Hell, you can sign him to a 50-year deal and only guarantee the first year. I don't see the issue with offering it. If he's not as good as he was in 2012, you cut him. If he is, you have exclusive rights to re-negotiate with him before anyone else can.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora · 7m
Sorry, had a misscommincation - Henry Melton is visiting the Rams today, not Anthony Spencer.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, Melton earned every penny of that $8.45M last year.

So you would have been fine if Melton played decently last year and Emery offered him a long-term contract this offseason...that would have made those "commitment and character" issues disappear?

My point is that Melton had commitment issues prior to this offseason. Emery was aware of this, and hedged his bet by "only" offering Melton a 1yr/$8.45M deal. That deal did not work out at all for the Bears. Now Emery is moving on.

Great.

How do you know Melton had commitment issues prior to last year? I have not heard anything prior to last year. Got a link? It seems like after he saw some real money, he got complacent like in many cases.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really? Well shit. That really sucks. Good signing for them. I still would rather get Donald & someone like DaQuan in the mid rounds or even a behemoth like Carrethers in the late rounds. At this point, I don't if Melton is less of a risk coming off from an ACL injury, than a first round talent, that I think is going to end up better than Melton.

I think the idea is to still draft Donald even if Melton is signed.

The best case scenario for the Bears is to get Melton cheap enough that they can use him as a rotational players.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:

The best case scenario for the Bears is to get Melton cheap enough that they can use him as a rotational players.

I'd like to see if Houston to help bring out the best in Melton. Not just with his play but in attitude and commitment.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

Doubt it. We don't even know if Donald is the plan without Melton. And if you re-sign Melton, you'd have Melton, Paea, Collins and Ratliff, who are all probably best suited as 3-techniques on the roster. Donald would be another suited for 3-tech. All 4 are under 303lbs. I think if you bring Melton back, you have to bring in some size.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ya if we didnt get Houston I'd let him walk. But I too would like to see them two line up next to each other and see if they could work some magic together.
I'd feel a hell of a lot better about our front 7 than I do now with him in the mix next year. Obvioulsy I am against overpaying but I have no prob paying a young Pro Bowl DT a 2-3 year contract that like many suggested would be incentive based and really non guarenteed past this year or next. All they have to do is structure it so they can cut his ass after next year if he bombs out.

I am hoping he is still shopping around because he is not getting the kind of offers he had hoped for. It might be a good sign for those of us who'd like to have him back that he's just extending his shoping trip trying to get some leverage or better offers before coming back to the table with the Bears to make a deal.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You know, you can sign him to a 2-year deal and not guarantee him any money beyond 2014, right? Hell, you can sign him to a 50-year deal and only guarantee the first year. I don't see the issue with offering it. If he's not as good as he was in 2012, you cut him. If he is, you have exclusive rights to re-negotiate with him before anyone else can.

Yeah, but why would he sign that? If he has to choose 2 years/$10 million with $5 million guaranteed or 1 year/$5 million, it makes no sense to take the two-year deal. There's no incentive for him to want the second year unless the second year is guaranteed.

Adding years to a contract beyond the guaranteed money only benefits the team.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Ya if we didnt get Houston I'd let him walk. But I too would like to see them two line up next to each other and see if they could work some magic together.
I'd feel a hell of a lot better about our front 7 than I do now with him in the mix next year. Obvioulsy I am against overpaying but I have no prob paying a young Pro Bowl DT a 2-3 year contract that like many suggested would be incentive based and really non guarenteed past this year or next. All they have to do is structure it so they can cut his ass after next year if he bombs out.

I am hoping he is still shopping around because he is not getting the kind of offers he had hoped for. It might be a good sign for those of us who'd like to have him back that he's just extending his shoping trip trying to get some leverage or better offers before coming back to the table with the Bears to make a deal.

I agree, I would love to see them play together. I played organized sports all the way until college and for me nothing motivates you to try harder than watching one of your best friends one up you.

Liked Posts:

I'd love to get both. I won't be at all surprised if Melton has a good season since his career with anyone in the NFL is basically depending on it. According to Emery he looks to be in much better shape at this point than he was at the same time period last season.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Rory...I'm looking for a link on a 50 year contract...but I'll post once I find it

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah, but why would he sign that? If he has to choose 2 years/$10 million with $5 million guaranteed or 1 year/$5 million, it makes no sense to take the two-year deal. There's no incentive for him to want the second year unless the second year is guaranteed.

Adding years to a contract beyond the guaranteed money only benefits the team.

No, but 2 years/13 Mil with 5Mil guaranteed and potential to earn 8 Million the next year, he might. It's better than 1-year/5Mil, and doing it all over in 2015.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
We can say let him go or offer him a one year prove it contract. But no one here has any information on his recovery and rehab. No nfl gm is going to make him an offer without some access to his medical info and their own doctors getting a good look at him. It's still a signing with some risk, but we have no idea how much risk while any team considering signing him has at least a clue. Based on not knowing if he will ever be a shadow of his former self I am going to wait to form an opinion.

The Kaiser

Liked Posts:
We can say let him go or offer him a one year prove it contract. But no one here has any information on his recovery and rehab. No nfl gm is going to make him an offer without some access to his medical info and their own doctors getting a good look at him. It's still a signing with some risk, but we have no idea how much risk while any team considering signing him has at least a clue. Based on not knowing if he will ever be a shadow of his former self I am going to wait to form an opinion.

What!? Wait to form an opinion? That is completely unacceptable behavior on the internet young man. Sheesh.

Seriously though, the one group that DOES have decent insight into his surgery, his condition and his rehab is laying low....that has to tell you something.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
didn't he just sign with the cowboys?