DE Corey Wootton says he doesn't expect to return

Liked Posts:
Corey just posted via twitter he thinks he'll be playing elsewhere & that it's just part of the business. Bummer & a dumb move, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
I would have liked him back, think he may have been able to start opposite of Houston, but what do I know, I'm just a meatball who likes to build teams on Madden anyways :lol:

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I was looking forward to what he could do last season. The move to DT derailed that, it's a shame if he's gone after being so unselfish.

Everybody keeps talking about Huston being a run stuffing set the edge DE. At the very least Wooten can do that.

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
This dude took a picture with my cousins cousin that i saw on facebook recently . Cool dude. WOuld rather have him back than izzy tbh.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
The only reason I could see not bringing him back is if he's asking for much more than he's so far proven to be worth.

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
The only reason I could see not bringing him back is if he's asking for much more than he's so far proven to be worth.

Pretty much. its like if he is gonna sign for the minimum it should be with us. they look interested in izzy but 1 year too late. i think 99 percent of the board would take wooten to izzy at this point.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
So,let me see if I have this correct. A player who won an outright starting job on the best starting defense in 2012 based on his play who proved versatile enough to play at a high level as a DT isn't coming back to Chicago? But a guy who wasn't slated to start for the Lions last year who earned a starting job because the slated starter was injured in camp is now our other base starting defensive end. A guy who has one year of production in his contract year is now our starting DE? Signing a player based off of what they did in their contract YEAR is one of the worst strategies in the NFL according to everyone and according to historical data. Signing a slightly better version of Shea McClellin a guy who get consistently whipped by TEs is the main starter going forward and I'm supposed to believe this improves our defense?

The clock continues to tick on Emery's tenure and,it's growing louder.

R_Mac_1

Liked Posts:
So,let me see if I have this correct. A player who won an outright starting job on the best starting defense in 2012 based on his play who proved versatile enough to play at a high level as a DT isn't coming back to Chicago? But a guy who wasn't slated to start for the Lions last year who earned a starting job because the slated starter was injured in camp is now our other base starting defensive end. A guy who has one year of production in his contract year is now our starting DE? Signing a player based off of what they did in their contract YEAR is one of the worst strategies in the NFL according to everyone and according to historical data. Signing a slightly better version of Shea McClellin a guy who get consistently whipped by TEs is the main starter going forward and I'm supposed to believe this improves our defense?

Get your resume ready. The Bears might be calling soon...

Really though, maybe it had something to do with his surgery. It's possible the Bears just don't want to make an offer until he's actually able to play, which IIRC isn't until June or July.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

DocBito831

Liked Posts:
Nor Cal born, Nor Cal raised. Orange County living
somewhat upsets me. more able bodies the better. And it doesn't seem like the Bears have much competition pushing for him.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears are looking for a more speedier end. Maybe Martin in the 2nd round if he's there. I wonder what they expect from Cornwash this season.

Madden

Liked Posts:
I like Wootton but trust Emery to build a solid line. I think Emery is all about "what have you done for me lately" and Wootton only had 3 sacks last year, although he was out of position a majority of the time. It's pretty clear Emery wants his own players in there and won't hesitate to drop the hammer if he thinks he can get more production from someone else.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

It's missing key prices of point like always... and stating things entirely wrong.

Wootton never earned a starting job on the defense in 2012... I wonder how a lesser role and scenario than Willie Young is earning it to you. Wootton was the 3rd DE and only began to start the last 7 games due to injury making Izzy move inside.

But lets ignore that Wootton also is a guy who has struggled with injury every year but 1 in his NFL career, after coming in from significant college injury. Ontop of that, hes not healthy now. He's not gonna like offers he gets because he's not a safe guaranteed money grab.

So no, you don't have that correct. But it won't prevent your high arrogance from making you act like you are.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
It's missing key prices of point like always... and stating things entirely wrong.

Wootton never earned a starting job on the defense in 2012... I wonder how a lesser role and scenario than Willie Young is earning it to you. Wootton was the 3rd DE and only began to start the last 7 games due to injury making Izzy move inside.

But lets ignore that Wootton also is a guy who has struggled with injury every year but 1 in his NFL career, after coming in from significant college injury. Ontop of that, hes not healthy now. He's not gonna like offers he gets because he's not a safe guaranteed money grab.

So no, you don't have that correct. But it won't prevent your high arrogance from making you act like you are.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

I love how your selective memory in this argument holds true like it always has even when it was on BearReport back in the day. Wootton bumped Idonije off the starting job first, Idonije only returned to starting after the injuries. Wootton earned his keep in 2012 and was in the process of doing it again in 2013 before the injury to Collins. By the way Wootton didn't struggle with injury last year he played through one and at a high level at two positions. In addition his arthroscopic surgery on his hip is no different than the scope Marshall has had on his hip three times already including as recently as last year. Would you like to try again to undermine my "arrogance" with your ignorance or stupidity or a combination of both?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...3_1_israel-idonije-corey-wootton-matt-toeaina

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
This issue with Wooten is simple MONEY. Being an FA means you get over paid. The Bears apparently feel the cheaper guys like Bass and Washington are close enough in skill and talent to Wooten to make the savings worthwhile.

The Kaiser

Liked Posts:
It's not simply money. It's money + health.

Wooton admits that he won't even be able to start running until May or June and won't be ready for contact until July at the earliest-- basically when camp opens. And how much optimism do you think is built into that timeline which is coming from him and his agent, not from the team or the team doctors? He's coming off what sounds like a complicated surgery. The possibilities of a set back are real. If Wooton were healthy, he would have definitely be signed by now.

That said, Wooton is the kind of guy I see really dedicating himself to rehab and if the surgery works out, then Wooton will, possibly, come back stronger and healthier than he was over the past two years. But let's face it: There is real risk in this.

I think Corey needs to sign a one year "prove it" contract and I'd like very much for him to do that with the Bears. But for a guy with an injury history like Corey's, you have to figure that if someone comes a long and offers a good multi year deal with lots of guaranteed money, he'll jump at that.

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
Who gives a fuck?

He's not very good. He can play end and on the interior, but isnt effective at either.

Liked Posts:
Who gives a fuck?

He's not very good. He can play end and on the interior, but isnt effective at either.

He was very good on passing downs on the interior. Every DE on the roster suffered because the DT's sucked & allowed QB step up in the pocket way too far.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
Wooton is an ok back up but he doesn't get enuff pressure on his own. He needs 2 pro bowlers on the dline with him. I'm ok with the Bears walking away from him.