Last Years Offense, This Years Defense? Not Possible..

Southsideswinger

Liked Posts:
The 2013 pieces were already in place, With Cuttler, Forte, Marshall all in tact Emery built around them. signing two PROVEN free agents with Slauson, and Bushrod. The only question marks, Alshon and Kyle long. Would they be productive enough... Obviously they exceeded all expectations. So now Emery must do the same, instead its the defense that needs transformed. The problem is, this defense does not have the pieces in place as the offense did in 2013. Who can we build around? Jennings? That's about it. So that's one problem. The other, is all the FA hits we took, which may involve Melton as well. Yes we added some solid contributors but no superstar signing. I'm ok with this, I support Emery. I believe he knows that we can be a powerhouse if you will, within a couple years, so wait tell then, find the right player on free agency then sign, work the draft a couple years to mold a future dynasty, perhaps. Point being, Emery cannot change the defense to last years offense in the time he did so in 2013, not possible.

DocBito831

Liked Posts:
Nor Cal born, Nor Cal raised. Orange County living
wasn't going to happen overnight. It's a process. If the end result is a power and speed defense like the Seahawks, than waiting 2 off seasons to establish that is alright with me. It's all about the long run.

Southsideswinger

Liked Posts:
Exactly.. I know personally, I want to see the defense match the offense, but its not going to happen. Reading posts, some believe that Emery can make it happen this year.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
The rebuild should have been a lot better off with pieces like Melton, Wootton, Chandler Jones, and Alec Ogletree in place. Things that were so obvious for everyone on this board weren't so obvious for the man in charge.

Southsideswinger

Liked Posts:
The rebuild should have been a lot better off with pieces like Melton, Wootton, Chandler Jones, and Alec Ogletree in place. Things that were so obvious for everyone on this board weren't so obvious for the man in charge.
Take some consideration that signing all those players would take away from keeping players. The league has changed, you need a potent, attacking offense, I wouldn't jeopardize any of those names you just mentioned to break up a piece of what we have offensively. Emery is doing the right thing, by signing solid affordable FA for know and then working the draft for a new identity. Look at the bigger picture.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Take some consideration that signing all those players would take away from keeping players. The league has changed, you need a potent, attacking offense, I wouldn't jeopardize any of those names you just mentioned to break up a piece of what we have offensively. Emery is doing the right thing, by signing solid affordable FA for know and then working the draft for a new identity. Look at the bigger picture.

but but... defense wins championships! (no really, it just did, much as it pains me to say that)

I still think the Bears would've mopped up the entire band of shitty NFC teams in the playoffs if the defense was middle of the road based on the strength of the offense alone. I usually get pumped up for playoff time, I saw an assortment of really shitty games this past season. fuck Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick and their 130 yard passing games.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
If it take a few more years to field a good enough D... we are fucked, by then the O will start showing major holes that need to be filled.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

We had Melton, Wootton and drafted a probowler in a position of greatest need instead of Ogletree. Missed on Jones but lets see if Shea can play his natural position.

dakbear

Liked Posts:
Agree with this. I do not think we can turn this defense around in 2 years so that we can be successful in the playoffs. By then the offense starts to decline. I hope I am wrong and that we are surprised. The other concern for me is I am just not convinced that Tucker has the ability to take the rebuilt defense and coach them into an "average" unit.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
I swear 95% of the posters on hear have to be Cub fans. It's always next yr or two yrs from now.We have the offense now,may not in 2yrs. What happenned to the D in 2yrs waiting for O to catch up?

The just wait mentality is called a bunch of losers! You have the big one waiting for you now, so get what you need and win it all now! Not next yr,next yr loser mentality.

HAVOCONE

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
some good reads here guys. the players we recently got I think will do fine. all are working men. they are the new faces of our defense. come draft time, if we manage to get Donald, and throw him into the mix, does that not make our defense better? thank goodness we signed tillman. I think he's the key. no matter what, we needed to keep tillman. I can do without melton. seems he will be more trouble then good. we can replace him with a guy who wants to be here and play. I know we can pickup another decent CB or S in the draft. we may not have to wait long to see a better defense. hopefully.

Last edited:

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
The defense doesn't have to be great, just average. If it improves to 15, 16, 17th place with our offense, the team can go far. You get into the playoffs, get hot, and anything can happen. What it can't be is godawful like it was last year where it was dragging the team down every game.

cobra302

Liked Posts:
"I am just not convinced that Tucker has the ability to take the rebuilt defense and coach them into an "average" unit."
You're right, he doesn't. All we, as Bears' fans have had since 1985 is a series of "Maybe Next Year's". I don't see anything to make me think that'll change any time soon, maybe ever. First, the defense is good, but the offense can't score any points. Now, the offense is good, but the defense couldn't stop a pig in a ditch. And so it goes. Meanwhile, teams like Seattle get a new head coach & within a couple years, win a Super Bowl. Success for the Bears of late has become finishing above .500.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
a top 15 d would be an excellent turn around in my opinion

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
Well,from the way everyone seems to carry on on these threads,it's believed that Bears people actually read this stuff. If so,

EMERY,GET UR DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I don't know who is saying we can go worst to first in one year. If somehow we can be middle of the pack that would be a huge improvement. The reality is that the defense is being rebuilt and that can take time.

tricky5544

Liked Posts:

so you think you know more than Phil? Okay