Bears ask Weems to take pay cut or release

Mongo

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They shouldn't even have given him a choice.
Just boot his worthless ass.
They can't afford him even if he played for free because
he's good at only one thing - causing stupid penalties...

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
3 phases.........

ST yes.......Offense 1 catch..........where on defense......He would contribute more to the 4th phase rather than offense or defense

So people no longer remember the concept of the term phases of special teams?

I guess that left with Lovie

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Doug Grohlin

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People wanted Hester gone because it was too much to pay for just a ST. Well, it's the same way with Weems, but he has less production.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
So people no longer remember the concept of the term phases of special teams?

I guess that left with Lovie

weems made some errors on ST too.....I believe they are looking to upgrade...

no I do not remember 3 phases of special teams and then the real 3 phases of offense defense special teams along with the 4th phase the fans

winterwarz

3 phases.........

ST yes.......Offense 1 catch..........where on defense......He would contribute more to the 4th phase rather than offense or defense

I'll clarify...receiving punts/kicks, covering punts/kicks, and as a WR if absolutely necessary. At least he doesn't refuse to play offense.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
Somebody has to go or reduce their pay if we're going to offer Izzy a contract.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
It looks like both Bennett and Weems asked to pay cut.

Jeremy Stoltz ‏@BearReport 48m
Weems and E. Bennett asked to take pay cut or walk. I wrote last week #Bears will likely part ways w/ both ... http://chi.scout.com/2/1383700.html

Sagbear

Liked Posts:

Weems and E. Bennett asked to take pay cut or walk. I wrote last week #Bears will likely part ways w/ both ... http://chi.scout.com/2/1383700.html

I just saw that as well. It looks like they will most likely be gone. What would the cap savings be if both were cut?

Bones40

Liked Posts:
I just saw that as well. It looks like they will most likely be gone. What would the cap savings be if both were cut?

$3.55 million I believe. $2.45 for Bennett and $1.1 for Weems

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Bennett will be picked up quick if he is released. I believe the cap savings is $3- 4 million.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Bennett will be picked up quick if he is released. I believe the cap savings is $3- 4 million.

Ya he will be picked up within a few days, he is still a solid receiver out of the slot. We just have a ton of weapons now, isnt that nice to finally say, Earl was the 5th option in our passing attack. Also the team is very high on Wilson and Marshall and Jeffery are taking him under their wing.

czman

Liked Posts:

One of them should probably be gone. I think Bennett is more the better cut, salary. If they both go, I won't be sad.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
If they both get cut then WR with return skills will probably be on the list on draft day.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Attention Bears front office and coaching staff: Can you also ask Weems to quit acting like a tough guy after every kicking play? It's annoying. Thanks.

Eriebearfan

Liked Posts:
I think the hate comes from his original expectations. When we signed him I thought - "Fine don't kick to Devin. Weems will return it for a touchdown then. Good luck." I don't think Weems had more than one or two "successful" returns in his Bear career. He used to have good returns with Atlanta regularly before we signed him.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
When? He got a few penalties but also caused more to be called on other teams. Plus knowing the rules well like on that loose touched punt allowed him to make smart yard saving plays.

Are you talking about the punt that was close to the end zone that he pushed out of the back of the end zone. I about lost my mind. That reminds me of the time that Hester fielded a kick off with one foot in bounds and one foot out of bounds so it caused the ball to be placed at the 40. I was like WTF!?

nobull

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reread my post and missed the part where I claimed he was an elite offensive player who's capable of bringing an offense to the next level.
There are no moderates on this board. Everyone must be extreme. I agree Weems serves a purpose.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
If they both get cut then WR with return skills will probably be on the list on draft day.

The news of Weems and Bennett coupled with the latest word from Brad Biggs that Bears scouts are at Florida St. pro day, leads me to think they're probably looking at Lamarcus Joyner