Bears ask Weems to take pay cut or release

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
The news of Weems and Bennett coupled with the latest word from Brad Biggs that Bears scouts are at Florida St. pro day, leads me to think they're probably looking at Lamarcus Joyner

Don't see how a CB/S tweener has anything to do with WR depth.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Are you talking about the punt that was close to the end zone that he pushed out of the back of the end zone. I about lost my mind. That reminds me of the time that Hester fielded a kick off with one foot in bounds and one foot out of bounds so it caused the ball to be placed at the 40. I was like WTF!?

That was actually a smart play by Weems. He knew exactly what he was doing. Once the ball is touched by the opponent, you can pick it up, fumble, fumble the ball again and the ball would have still been awarded to the Bears. That is the rule.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That was actually a smart play by Weems. He knew exactly what he was doing. Once the ball is touched by the opponent, you can pick it up, fumble, fumble the ball again and the ball would have still been awarded to the Bears. That is the rule.

After the fact I found out it was a heads up play by Weems. For whatever reason I didn't associate the batted of the ball out before it got to the end zone as a touch. I think that was what messed me up. Heck, idk. It looked wrong.

FIRST TOUCHING BEYOND THE LINE: “First touching” is when a player of the kicking team touches a scrimmage kick that is beyond the line of scrimmage before it has been touched by a player of the receiving team beyond the line. If the ball is first touched by a player of the kicking team, it remains in play. First touching is a violation, and the receivers shall have the option of taking possession of the ball at the spot of first touching, provided no penalty is accepted on the play, or at the spot where the ball is dead. First touching does not offset a foul by the receivers.

It’s not something new to Bears special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis. When he was with the Cowboys, Bryan McCann picked up a ball that the Lions’ John Wendling batted away from the end zone. McCann ran 97 yards for the game’s go-ahead touchdown in the 2010 game.

“I call it ‘no consequence’ because once they touch the ball as the kicking team right there on the punt, that’s basically a free ball for us to do anything we want with it,” DeCamillis said. “What happens is, if (Weems) would have fumbled the ball, if (McCann) would have fumbled the ball, it still would have just reverted back to the spot. There’s no consequence that happens to us right there. That means that (Weems is) paying attention to the rule, he understands it, and it worked out to us.”

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll clarify...receiving punts/kicks, covering punts/kicks, and as a WR if absolutely necessary. At least he doesn't refuse to play offense.

so one of the reasons we should like weems is because he doesn't refuse to play offense....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
weems can contribute, but they want him to contribute with less salary.....

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
His one catch for 8 yards really brought the offense to the next level. Where it really pays off is having him on ST. His bonehead mistakes pinned the offense back, allowing them to put more yards on their stats.

This is spot on. He is doing shit besides making tackles on special teams. His KR/PR/WR abilities suck.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
Don't see how a CB/S tweener has anything to do with WR depth.

Was referring to Joyner's ability to return kicks/punts plus his position is a need on our team.
I can't see them spending a draft pick on WR depth.

Just my opinion, but I don't see a drastic difference between Marshall/Jeffrey/Wilson/Hixon or Marshall/Jeffrey/Bennett/Weems.