2014 Chicago Cubs In-Season Discussion Thread

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Junior Lake is not having a good spring and finished 0-fer in his final 15 at-bats last year. He skipped AAA last year and just looks like he needs more time.

He had a 13/68 walk-to-strikeout ratio in the majors last season in spite of a .284 average. Not hard to tell he's Jim Hendry's prospect...

Lake played in AAA. Fail!

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Junior Lake is not having a good spring and finished 0-fer in his final 15 at-bats last year. He skipped AAA last year and just looks like he needs more time.

He had a 13/68 walk-to-strikeout ratio in the majors last season in spite of a .284 average. Not hard to tell he's Jim Hendry's prospect...

Get off the stupid pills.

Boner boy's prospect doesn't look so hot either.

Not only that, the prospect recieving most of the #Spankfest is Javier Baez, a Jim Hendry prospect.

Last edited:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
3 HRs for Jr. Lake.

HurricaneDij's stupidity strikes again :andruw:

Liked Posts:
I'm flattered that you're obsessed with me, fisch. But just a heads up - I'm not gay.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm gay in the classical meaning of the word that Junior Lake came to play.

Liked Posts:
I removed you from ignore for ^that one post. Yeah, I hope Junior Lake does well and makes the club. I just question if he was rushed to the big leagues.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He probably was, but who should really be playing?

Maybe he'll be a guy that contributes everyday for a successful ball club, I think that's his ceiling.

His floor probably a pinch hitter/supersub.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He probably was, but who should really be playing?

Maybe he'll be a guy that contributes everyday for a successful ball club, I think that's his ceiling.

His floor probably a pinch hitter/supersub.

His ceiling is that of a superstar. He just hasnt shown near enough consistency to get to that level. Tools and gift wise he is a monster. Consistency has always been his problem.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let me clarify, his ceiling is a superstar's ceiling. He is nowhere near that because he has never shown enough consistency to even be an everyday player. Thats why he should play as much as he can this year. If it ever clicks, look out. His tools are sick. He is fast, strong, and has a bazooka for an arm. His arm is one of the best in the majors.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If roids were still flowing in the game then he could be a super star. He has the raw tool set to be like Sammy.

His fall back is he career 5% walk rate. He is talented but lacks plate discipline just like Castro does. Now yes they both make up for it with their hitting ability and Lake is now filling into his frame and it is transforming his game into power.

I would never classify either as super stars unless they can maintain a 10% BB rate. If that happens watch out.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Let me clarify, his ceiling is a superstar's ceiling. He is nowhere near that because he has never shown enough consistency to even be an everyday player. Thats why he should play as much as he can this year. If it ever clicks, look out. His tools are sick. He is fast, strong, and has a bazooka for an arm. His arm is one of the best in the majors.

Correction: his arm is one of the strongest.

It won't be one of the best until / unless he figures out WHERE to throw, and learns to throw accurately.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Lake has physical tools, but so far doesn't look like a baseball player.

He came up last year, and in one of his first games he bunted for a single down the 3rd base line, hit a 450 ft HR to CF, and bunted down the 1st base line for a hit. Great mix of speed and power.

But he doesn't know the angles to take toward fly balls, doesn't have a clue where to throw the ball, doesn't know what the right play is....he looks like an athlete someone threw on the baseball field for the first time.

Hopefully Renteria can teach him some things. But "superstars" don't learn it this late in their development.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lake has physical tools, but so far doesn't look like a baseball player.

He came up last year, and in one of his first games he bunted for a single down the 3rd base line, hit a 450 ft HR to CF, and bunted down the 1st base line for a hit. Great mix of speed and power.

But he doesn't know the angles to take toward fly balls, doesn't have a clue where to throw the ball, doesn't know what the right play is....he looks like an athlete someone threw on the baseball field for the first time.

Hopefully Renteria can teach him some things. But "superstars" don't learn it this late in their development.

I guess you didnt keep reading. lol When someone says ceiling its totally different from what they are now.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, he just started playing OF last year. It takes more than a day. HE is still only 23. He should play everyday. No reason for him not to.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/...ro.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Cubs have agreed to terms with right-hander Joel Pineiro on a minor league contract, according to Hiram Torraca of El Nuevo Dia in Puerto Rico (Spanish Twitter link). The Puerto Rican veteran will spend 10 days in extended Spring Training before reporting to Triple-A Iowa, per Torraca. Pineiro is a client of the Wasserman Media Group.
Pineiro, 35, hasn't appeared in the Major Leagues since 2011 or the minor leagues since 2012. He inked a minor league deal with the Orioles last offseason after shoulder surgery cut his 2012 campaign short. Pineiro spent some time rehabbing with the club, but he was released midway through the season without getting into a game. Earlier this offseason, Pineiro was said by MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez to be attempting a comeback.
Pineiro experienced success with the Mariners early in his career, posting a 3.29 ERA with 6.4 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 in 481 1/3 innings with the team from 2001-03 -- his age-22 to age-24 seasons. He scuffled over the next several years, however, and ultimately found himself released by Seattle.
After a brief stop with the Red Sox, Pineiro became one of the many pitchers to experience a career resurgence under the tutelage of Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan. Pineiro pitched to a 3.49 ERA in 214 innings for the Cardinals in 2009 and led the league with a stellar 1.1 BB/9 rate (which helped offset his low 4.4 K/9 clip). That performance helped him land a two-year, $16MM contract with the Angels, and while he maintained his strong performance in 2010, he struggled again in 2011 and hasn't been back to the bigs since.
For his career, Pineiro owns a 4.41 ERA with 5.4 K.9, 2.5 BB/9 and a strong 49.2 percent ground-ball rate thanks to his sinker. Chicago's rotation currently consists of Jeff Samardzija, Travis Wood, Edwin Jackson, Jason Hammel and Carlos Villanueva, with both Jake Arrieta and James McDonald on the disabled list. A strong performance for Pineiro at Triple-A could get him some consideration for starts later in the season in the event of further injuries or trades of current rotation members such as Samardzija or Hammel.

:fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: