Can someone justify the Willie Young signing?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I read he is expected to start opposite of Houston, and looking at his #'s are...Pretty damn bad. Not saying #'s do everything but when you play with the best DT in league and one of the best in Fairley, I think you'd get more than 3 damn sacks for the whole season. Can someone explain this signing and why he is good enough to start? He's not young, he's almost 29 and hasn't done much in his career.

I can justify it. Jeremy Mincey Shea McClellin and Jason Babin either didn't sign here or workout as pass rushers so the bears had to find the next one year wonder undersized pudd to come in here to fail. Luckily with no one else willing to sign Young Emery was able to find his man. Be grateful there was another 260-pound or below DE who struggles against the run and TEs available otherwise he would have simply drafted one.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can justify it. Jeremy Mincey Shea McClellin and Jason Babin either didn't sign here or workout as pass rushers so the bears had to find the next one year wonder undersized pudd to come in here to fail. Luckily with no one else willing to sign Young Emery was able to find his man. Be grateful there was another 260-pound or below DE who struggles against the run and TEs available otherwise he would have simply drafted one.

Willie Young does not struggle against the run. If your going to critique a free agent signing at least get your shit right.....you want some some respect on the forum.....stop pulling shit out of your ass.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Emery has upgraded the run defense tremendously. Houston, Young, and Izzy are very good against the run. I'd rather a team beat me through the air than running it down my throat if I had a choice. At least through the air, there are far more opportunities for turnovers and mistakes. If the Bears can make offenses more one-dimensional (relying more on passing), it does make calling the defense much easier too for Tucker, and we all know he needs help in that regard.

Impress3

22vision
Liked Posts:
look at like we just signed 2 Alex Browns, not great but we're solid at DE

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
You assume my logic dictates that you can't ask questions, which it doesn't. What my logic does dictate is what is the point in asking people to justify you not liking a signing that you have no control over? I mean what benefit do people get by justifying this signing TO YOU? Because this isn't a discussion about whether or not Young will or will not help the defense--unless that was your original intention which you failed to show--but a self-centered inquiry. So, by all means, don't post here if all you want out of this message board is for people to justify your assumptions, oh precious snowflake.
hvwe28.jpg.gif

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Julius Peppers is not worth 18mil, Michael Bennett didn't want to leave Seattle, Michael Johnson wanted too much money, and they signed Houston to play LE. The last best option for RE was Willie Young on a very reasonable contract. Was there a better UFA option available that I missed?
Actually there was a few better options at the time we signed him and J.Allen is still there. But i'm okay with Young because i think Emery is gonna find another DE to rotate with Young.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think the best way to describe him is someone that shows some signs that he can be on the cusp of breaking out. He can play that RDE side, play the run and still put pressure on the QB. You get him at a low enough number that if he doesn't pan out, he's still not bad as a rotational player. And if he's really bad you can cut him without eating much money. This allows a young player to earn a job ahead of him. But if Young ends up breaking out then you get a steal of a player for $9 mil.

So hopefully he plays great and adds to the rotation and gives us a fresh body. Be nice to see Houston get 10+ sacks, Young get 7+ and some rookie get 7+ with Ratliff and the other DT's and backups maybe putting down 10+ sacks. Add some LB blitzes and you have a team with 50+ sacks. At DE, it would be a nice rotation like Seahawks had last year or the NY Giants had a few years ago.

I know people balk at the idea of hurries being subjective and don't mean much but if you actually look deeper into players that produce 40+ hurries, they often become players that will put up 10+ sacks. Usually if you beat your man 4 times, you'll get to the QB once. So Young is kind of a buy low, see if you don't catch a guy on his upswing type of player.

i remember people saying the same thing about why we would sign the Colts backup CB to a 2 year deal. Why did we even need him? He won't ever make it out of camp. Heck Corey Graham was better than him. That was Tim Jennings in 2010. It doesn't always work out like that but you can't find value players if you only sign top dollar guys.
Nicely put.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
btw sorry for the bad use of "who's" or "whose" wtf is even the difference. I'm pretty grammar nazi-ish, but never learned the difference of those two. Is "who's" just a contraction for "who is" and nothing more?
Its almost like "there" and "their"

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
so if I said: "The bears signed Jared Allen, whose best days are behind him." that's correct, right?

sorry, people probably think I'm dumb as hell for that, but I just always hated the word, "whose".
Don't worry about it i'm brutal with punctuation.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
All the things that internet GMs don't know about players as people, their contracts and the salary cap, are why they don't understand why some players are signed over others.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Your posting privileges have been revoked for breaking the internet.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
just google image WILLIE YOUNG JAY CUTLER....this guy was on him like white on rice whenever we played detroit

Jay+Cutler+Willie+Young+Chicago+Bears+v+Detroit+RFBKn6J8Qckl.jpg

158819391.0_standard_730.0.jpg

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read he is expected to start opposite of Houston, and looking at his #'s are...Pretty damn bad. Not saying #'s do everything but when you play with the best DT in league and one of the best in Fairley, I think you'd get more than 3 damn sacks for the whole season. Can someone explain this signing and why he is good enough to start? He's not young, he's almost 29 and hasn't done much in his career.

HOUSTON: High motor, workhorse, versatile (DT/DE) in our system, ranked in top in QB hurries, young and has got better every year

RATLIFF: played well will be better baring injury

Young: upside, plays hard every down....did well in little opportunities he had
will benefit from more reps.

Last edited:
Liked Posts:
If you are questioning this signing, you need to look beyond his ESPN stats.

Young had 48 QB hurries (3rd best in the league), 8 hits, & was actually credited with 4 sacks via the team & PFF & was 21st vs the run. ($2.6M cap hit) 28 y/0

Houston had 41 hurries, 16 hits, (both top 10) w/ 6 sacks & 5th vs the run. ($5M cap hit) 26 y/o

vs

Peppers who had 27 hurries & 6 hits. He also only had 5 games with sacks & was rated 44th vs the run. ($18.3M cap hit) 34 y/o

Look at those #'s & tell me why both of these guys aren't upgrades?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think Young would be fine if he were a #3 DE with Houston being the LE. However, if they plan to start both I'm really not looking forward to this pass rush. I'm still hoping they make a big play for a 1st round DE in the draft.

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
I think the best way to describe him is someone that shows some signs that he can be on the cusp of breaking out. He can play that RDE side, play the run and still put pressure on the QB. You get him at a low enough number that if he doesn't pan out, he's still not bad as a rotational player. And if he's really bad you can cut him without eating much money. This allows a young player to earn a job ahead of him. But if Young ends up breaking out then you get a steal of a player for $9 mil.

So hopefully he plays great and adds to the rotation and gives us a fresh body. Be nice to see Houston get 10+ sacks, Young get 7+ and some rookie get 7+ with Ratliff and the other DT's and backups maybe putting down 10+ sacks. Add some LB blitzes and you have a team with 50+ sacks. At DE, it would be a nice rotation like Seahawks had last year or the NY Giants had a few years ago.

I know people balk at the idea of hurries being subjective and don't mean much but if you actually look deeper into players that produce 40+ hurries, they often become players that will put up 10+ sacks. Usually if you beat your man 4 times, you'll get to the QB once. So Young is kind of a buy low, see if you don't catch a guy on his upswing type of player.

i remember people saying the same thing about why we would sign the Colts backup CB to a 2 year deal. Why did we even need him? He won't ever make it out of camp. Heck Corey Graham was better than him. That was Tim Jennings in 2010. It doesn't always work out like that but you can't find value players if you only sign top dollar guys.

Those hurries can turn into sacks if the 2ndary can hold their own, or picks.. This coming season will not be like the last. We'll have younger quicker body's to stop
the run, make teams throw on 2nd and 3rd an long into coverage anchored by 2 all pro CB's. I hope the youth movement creates some animals that want to make a name for themselves on D.