Can someone justify the Willie Young signing?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I read he is expected to start opposite of Houston, and looking at his #'s are...Pretty damn bad. Not saying #'s do everything but when you play with the best DT in league and one of the best in Fairley, I think you'd get more than 3 damn sacks for the whole season. Can someone explain this signing and why he is good enough to start? He's not young, he's almost 29 and hasn't done much in his career.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
jared-allen-o.gif

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
You go to sleep counting Allen's.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Both Young and Houston are upgrades in run stopping ability even if you aren't impressed by their pass disruptions and sacks.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
3m/yr cap hit.

Next year we have more money and can get a legit DE that isn't 30+ while still having a solid player at 3m/yr.

MontanaBear

Liked Posts:
I normally side with you in a lot of things bro (Cutler mainly) but this signing makes a lot of sense. Shores up the lack of run stopping ability and gets us a bit younger on the edge. We can fill in behind or in front of him in the draft.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's only so many sacks to go around.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
[video=youtube;kCdjvTTnzDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCdjvTTnzDU[/video]

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I read he is expected to start opposite of Houston, and looking at his #'s are...Pretty damn bad. Not saying #'s do everything but when you play with the best DT in league and one of the best in Fairley, I think you'd get more than 3 damn sacks for the whole season. Can someone explain this signing and why he is good enough to start? He's not young, he's almost 29 and hasn't done much in his career.

Julius Peppers is not worth 18mil, Michael Bennett didn't want to leave Seattle, Michael Johnson wanted too much money, and they signed Houston to play LE. The last best option for RE was Willie Young on a very reasonable contract. Was there a better UFA option available that I missed?

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I forgot where I read it, but I read somewhere that Willie Young had the third most quarterback hurries in the NFL last season.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I forgot where I read it, but I read somewhere that Willie Young had the third most quarterback hurries in the NFL last season.

Quiet you. Don't you know that people only like to listen to PFF when it validates their own opinions?

mecha

Liked Posts:
Corrected Title: Can someone justify my opinion so I can sleep better at night knowing I can't do shit to change what Emery does?

thank you Mr. Gravis.

"we should sign <person>!"
"mock draft #45625235"
"justify this signing?"

yeah, I fucking hate offseason here. nobody gives a shit about any of your personnel move suggestions people, certainly not the guy that like, you know, does that as his job. I'd rather there be 50 posts a day about the '85 Bears than all this typical offseason bullshit.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Julius Peppers is not worth 18mil, Michael Bennett didn't want to leave Seattle, Michael Johnson wanted too much money, and they signed Houston to play LE. The last best option for RE was Willie Young on a very reasonable contract. Was there a better UFA option available that I missed?

Are you intentionally setting Desperado up with this post?