Does McClellin Go to ILB or OLB?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

yep. turn it over.

When you live in Atlanta with the large gay population here, the gays tell you plenty of jokes.

the most commonly used pick up line in a gay bar-- "Excuse me, you mind if I push in your stool?"

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sam is considered an inside LB. Will is considered outside.

If they played a 3-4 they would throw another OLB on the same side as their Sam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the 4-3 Under front that the Bears use as their base:

4-3Under.jpg

If anything, the Mike and Will are actually inside linebackers and the Sam is the only true outside linebacker.

And if you pull the RDE's hand out of the dirt, you're in a one-gap 3-4. That's the side where the extra linebacker is added. It's the opposite side as the Sam, not the same side.

Liked Posts:
Sam is still labeled as an ILB & will is outside was my only point. That's a Nickel look right there.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He is a bust, it doesn't matter where he goes.

The only place that McClellin could go that would make the Bears better is if he went home to Idaho.

RM22

Liked Posts:
I was just thinking there has been NO talk about James Anderson this off season yet he was one of few bright spots on defense last season. I honestly would prefer him back over DJ in competition.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The only place that McClellin could go that would make the Bears better is if he went home to Idaho.

Agreed, but that won't happen, so I say OLB in the nickle package since he can't play the run for shit.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sam is still labeled as an ILB & will is outside was my only point. That's a Nickel look right there.

The lower-case "s" on the line is the SLB. There's 4 linemen and 3 linebackers. This is how the Bears line up in the base defense. It's been that way for about ten years.

A picture might clear it up, so you can see who has their hand in the dirt:

4dacb66d6955a754bf88f4ef3143ddf4_original.png

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't see him starting at MLB even if Williams gets injured. When they said he would see some looks at MLB, I'm positive they were talking about the nickel packages.

I think Shea gets the SLB job. It's his to lose. Normally, that's the linebacker that gets replaced in the nickel. Emery's gonna want him on the field in passing situations, so they've got to find a spot.

Most of the time, I think we'll see the NT pulled off the field and Houston shifted to a DT spot. At that point, Shea can play as the LDE (in a 4-2-5) or can rush the passer from a standing position (in a 3-3-5). That's how Von Miller and Bruce Irvin are used, and I think that what they'll use as the blueprint.

Other times, I think we'll see Shea at MLB in the nickel. In that situation, the offensive line has to account for the four pass rushers as well as McClellin. The Bears could either blitz all five or have McClellin rush the passer while a DE drops into coverage (Houston did this in Oakland).

I could be completely wrong about all of this, but I think this is what they're going to do.

Agreed with the caveat that they're perfectly willing to let him lose it after a long enough look to figure out if he fits.

The Kaiser

Liked Posts:
I don't see him starting at MLB even if Williams gets injured. When they said he would see some looks at MLB, I'm positive they were talking about the nickel packages.

I think Shea gets the SLB job. It's his to lose. Normally, that's the linebacker that gets replaced in the nickel. Emery's gonna want him on the field in passing situations, so they've got to find a spot.

Most of the time, I think we'll see the NT pulled off the field and Houston shifted to a DT spot. At that point, Shea can play as the LDE (in a 4-2-5) or can rush the passer from a standing position (in a 3-3-5). That's how Von Miller and Bruce Irvin are used, and I think that what they'll use as the blueprint.

Other times, I think we'll see Shea at MLB in the nickel. In that situation, the offensive line has to account for the four pass rushers as well as McClellin. The Bears could either blitz all five or have McClellin rush the passer while a DE drops into coverage (Houston did this in Oakland).

I could be completely wrong about all of this, but I think this is what they're going to do.

Good assessment.

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I would like to see Shea McClellin start ahead of Jonathan Bostic. Not saying I think one is better than they other, just that it looks better for the Bears if their first round pick starts.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:

lets try to reserve judgment until after we actually see him play some downs at lb I mean yea if u go of draft position and production at de id call it a bust at this point but who knows he may actually turn it around at lber his lack of str may not be as bad when he can use his speed in cov and side to side

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
well he can't play de, so its pretty much try him everwhere and if he doesn't stick...cut him

bummer33062

Liked Posts:
They actually said that McClellin will play at SLB and will get some looks at MLB, and Bostic will play at MLB and get some looks at SLB. They never said that the two of them will be competing for the strong side job, and they never said that DJ Williams is the starting MLB.
The Eagles exploited Bostic's effectiveness as a starter. Time for SheaMac to get down to business and start sporting Clark Kent Horn Rims !

bummer33062

Liked Posts:
Bostic didn't have a clue what the Eagles were doing one play to the next.
After they were through he resembled a Welcome Mat at the Dollar Store...he's no starter.
SheaMac has size and speed, Bostic has speed but lacks the punch. In regard to his punch... College Caliber, I've seen his highlight film.