Does Allen push Houston to DT?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And Izzy too!!! We got bigger, and better. Now lets fix the middle of the pass defense with a young MLB and some safeties.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
I think it makes Willie Young a rotational player, which is what he should be. Houston fits nicely on the other end. They have a nice rotation in the middle in the making, maybe even better after the draft.

This seems about right. Teams like SEA who picked up Avril and Bennett last off season keeps there DE fresh.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
At least that we can field a good overall DE group now. At this point, whichever combo of Houston/Young/Allen/Izzy is on the field, at least they'll be adequate at playing the run and rushing the passer. Might not be the best group in terms of sacking the QB, but we won't have any huge run D liabilities like Shea and Pep were last year.

Liked Posts:
In the nickel, sure. We still need a pass rushing DT for the base defense. Either one of Donald or Tuitt would make me happy.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
People still don't understand that Houston has played DT for the Raiders his entire career, and he came out of Texas as a 3-tech DT. He is a 3-tech that has been taught and dedicated to pass rushing from DE, and was versatile enough to do it.

I don't assume I know how the Bears will use him, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him play some 3-tech frequently while being a major snap eater. If he can give us 900 snaps and 6 sacks while being fantastic against the run, I don't care where it is.

WUT?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. Young will be a very nice rotational guy.

Holy shit, you mean to tell me that the "Steal of free agency" won't even be a full time starter. All those pressures, and he will be relegated to a situational part timer! Your all full of shit, Quasi GM, AHIllini assured me this was not the case.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
What it does is open up the draft even more. If Clowney drops, they take him and Houston plays 3tech. If they take Donald then Houston plays LE. The line is fine as is so they can take a FS or CB. Shoot, he could even take a TE in the first and address the D later. I love the way Emery sets up his draft.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
What it does is open up the draft even more. If Clowney drops, they take him and Houston plays 3tech. If they take Donald then Houston plays LE. The line is fine as is so they can take a FS or CB. Shoot, he could even take a TE in the first and address the D later. I love the way Emery sets up his draft.

Or he can take the Best MLB in the draft because we desperately need a solid middle linebacker for the next however many years... This would help solidify the middle of the defense and would complete the linebacker position for a while...

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
On pass rushing plays, yes

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Holy shit, you mean to tell me that the "Steal of free agency" won't even be a full time starter. All those pressures, and he will be relegated to a situational part timer! Your all full of shit, Quasi GM, AHIllini assured me this was not the case.

Oh, I agree, if there is one guy pissed about the Allen signing it has got to be Young. Allen just took his starting spot.

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think so, I think it affords us the chance to have a really solid 3 man rotation at the DE position and keep everyone fresh. Plus the depth it adds, and that was a huge problem last year.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, and to the OP, I don't think Allen pushes Houston to the DT spot, I think it puts Young in a rotational role. Just to clarify. If I was Young's agent, I would be asking for a trade.

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
Oh, I agree, if there is one guy pissed about the Allen signing it has got to be Young. Allen just took his starting spot.

I'm sure Young understood there was a decent chance he wouldn't start. He will still see time on 3rd downs and on 2nd and long.

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
if we draft Donald we have a chance at having our most lethal front 4 in a long time as long as Donald pans out. We can go DB in the 2nd round. Possibly even trade up in the 2nd round, but it all hinges on Donald.If he isn't there, they could easily go DB and then do DT in the 2nd and even trade up in that scenario as well.

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
I would hope so. How many recent 1st and 2nd round draft choices in addition to tens of millions of FA money do the Bears need to utilize before getting a DL thats better than #30 in the NFL and guys off the street like Jay Ratliff aren't multi-year starters?

they have invested one 1st round pick in 3 offseasons on DE.They kept the same D Linemen throughout that time as well. They lost guys who were getting paid significant money and needed to replace them. Obviously, that required signing some guys with significant money and another early draft pick coming. Kinda common sense, no?

and Jay Ratliff may have been "off the street" but he was a one of the better DTs in the NFL before his injury and we were able to pick him up as he reached his final stage of recovery.

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
What a dumb question!

Houston is starting. Duh!

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers