Does Allen push Houston to DT?

ghost_of_halas

Liked Posts:
Now that the Bears have Jared Allen and Willie Young does this mean Lamarr Houston will play the 3tech as his primary position?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
No. Lamarr Houston is listed at 6'3", 300lbs, but he said himself he plays at 270-280. He's not a DT.

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure. Maybe there will be some kind of running downs, passing downs rotation. I'll tell you what though, this definitely opens up the draft. Emery has fixed the dline. If he still drafts dline in the first I'll shit a rainbow-colored brick of holy-shit happiness. You can never have too many bodies

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
No. Lamarr Houston is listed at 6'3", 300lbs, but he said himself he plays at 270-280. He's not a DT.

Uh you can totally play 3tech at 280

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I think it opens things up, and he could play some tackle but I still think you see him rotate at end. And the Bears should still draft a 3-tech.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Uh you can totally play 3tech at 280

Didn't say he couldn't. But taking a good edge run defender and putting him inside at 280lbs will take away his biggest asset, which is stopping the run. He'd get killed in the run game. I'm sure he'll go inside on passing downs at times, but he always was going to do that.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
I wasn't entirely on the Aaron Donald bandwagon before, I'd love to see him with Houston, Young, and Allen now though. Good God that'd be awesome.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Houston will be your starting LE in most situations. In obvious passing situations he may slide to 3-tech to bring another pass rusher such as Willie Young or Emery's baby on the field. Houston can be used anywhere but he will be the base LE.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i think he may move inside on certain passing downs, but no permanently.. no chance.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Houston on Left, Allen on right With Williw Young to shore up a 3 man DE rotation.

Yep. Tons of options now. And takes the pressure of the draft by not having to worry about DE early. And you add two vetrans at DE to help your rookie(s) at DT.

JaySix

Liked Posts:
the only time you will see Houston at DT is in obvious passing situation.

he is a LE that is really good stopping the run which is exactly what we need and why we signed him.

if you need run stopping you don't take a runstopping DE and make him a pass rush DT where he will be undersized when it comes to stopping the run. if anything an elite pass rusher on the other side enables us to keep him at DE...

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No. It's called a rotation. Houston LE, Allen RE. Wille Young/Izzy/draft pick subs in

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People still don't understand that Houston has played DT for the Raiders his entire career, and he came out of Texas as a 3-tech DT. He is a 3-tech that has been taught and dedicated to pass rushing from DE, and was versatile enough to do it.

I don't assume I know how the Bears will use him, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him play some 3-tech frequently while being a major snap eater. If he can give us 900 snaps and 6 sacks while being fantastic against the run, I don't care where it is.

Liked Posts:
Now that the Bears have Jared Allen and Willie Young does this mean Lamarr Houston will play the 3tech as his primary position?
I think it makes Willie Young a rotational player, which is what he should be. Houston fits nicely on the other end. They have a nice rotation in the middle in the making, maybe even better after the draft.