What Allen's Signing Means For the Draft

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
The signing of Allen (along with Houston and Young and to a certain extent Mundy) not only fills a significant need(s), but also does WONDERFUL things for the draft.

This allows the Bears to have flexibility in the draft - they can either go safety/DB (HaHa), LB or D Line.

Just like the signing of Martellus and Bushrod last off season, the free agency moves set up MUCH more flexibility for what can be done via the draft.

Me likey Emery's strategy. Now he just needs to not eff up the pick.

Discuss. And by discuss, I mean discuss in a manner fit for this forum - talk about the topic for one post and then 20 others posts about dicks, cunting and calling each other dumbfucks.

Discuss....

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Thanks for starting the thread dumbfuck. Just kidding...

No question it opens up the draft. I think Emery is now targeting Mosely, Gilbert or Dix.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
SAFETY or MLB or Corner or omg......offense?

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Yep Emery has been nothing short of brilliant. Had a rough first draft with Shea, Hardin, and the short fat drug addict TE - but he's made some big time moves (Kyle Long, Bushrod, Jeffrey, Mills, Bennett, etc).

As they said on 670AM this morning - our chips are all in. We're going for the Super Bowl this year. If we add HaHa Clinton-Dix and our guys stay relatively healthy (DJ Williams, Tillman, Briggs, Cutler, Ratliff, etc) -- we're making a deep, deep run.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I think we'll go the highest on our board of a CB (Gilbert), Safety (Ha Ha or Pryor) or DT (Donald). I still think DT is the most pressing need, but it's also one of the deeper positions in the draft. We can get a couple in rounds 2-4 and still end up with quality players.

JaySix

Liked Posts:
while the signings in FA do give the Bears more flexibility in the draft to go BPA, safety, DT, CB and ILB all still make a lot of sense.

now I don't pretend to understand what type of player Emery wants at each position, but Donald/Ha Ha/ Gilbert/Mosley all still seem to make sense for us in round 1.

personally I really don't want Pryor but would be happy to be wrong about him if he indeed was the pick, think he will suck though...

geneatals

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
safety or trading back for more picks...thats my guess....

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
safety or trading back for more picks...thats my guess....

Yep.

That being said, we must give credit where credit is due. I know everyone likes the big splash signings like Denver did (giving guys WAY too much money), but this is great modern day NFL strategy. Build a team up with a number of very good pieces which gives you draft flexibility.

Emery has proven to me (along with Cliff Stein) that he's a wizard when it comes to free agency chess piece moving.

He now needs to kick ass on his picks. No GM gets it right all the time, but his picks have been an up and down thing.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
DT was the biggest need before. Allen doesn't play DT. DT is still the biggest need. I think this might drop Donald down a notch though. If we are operating under the assumption that Houston moves inside in the nickel (with Allen, Young and/or McClellin on the edge).....then I think the Bears can get enough pass rush from the other DT if it's Ratliff, Paea, Idonije, or Collins. But you still are weak on the interior on run downs. I think this pushes the DT pick toward a guy like Hageman, Nix or Jernigan.

If I had to put money on it, I'd say the first round pick is going to come down to Hageman, Clinton-Dix or Pryor......which means Emery will draft somebody completely different.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is hard to find fault with what Emery has done. The only thing I could have wished for is a better safety. however if it precluded any D line signing then I understand.....

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Just did a quick mock draft just going by positions we need to fill and without reaching to get a player of need:

"14
CB JUSTIN GILBERT
OKLAHOMA STATE
C MARCUS MARTIN
USC
RB BISHOP SANKEY
WASHINGTON
DT WILL SUTTON
ARIZONA STATE
CB ROSS COCKRELL
DUKE
TE JACOB PEDERSEN
WISCONSIN
WR JALEN SAUNDERS
OKLAHOMA"

Yeah I didn't get a safety, but I would have had to reach by about 20 picks to get one. Trust me I want one, but without reaching this is what came up.

Rawky

Liked Posts:
I think they're going on the assumption that Collins will come back from his acl injury strong. Right now td is pretty much paea, Collins, Ratliff and Houston/izzy for passing downs. Collins and rattlif can both play nose or 3-tech pretty well. Both are better run defenders than pass rushers and both will make our D better than it was last year. So the draft strategy today can be "let's take the best guy on our board first and stick with out strategy for the rest of the rounds, get a FS,DT,CB,QB,LB (no particular order).

Basically I think it gives us the ability to take the best player available or trade down and still feel comfortable with our team overall. We have needs, but no enormous holes right now.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pass rush makes everyone else better, so Donald should still be on top of the list, IMO.

This. We have our passing down DT in Houston but we need a replacement for Melton. Hopefully that's Donald and then we go DB in the second

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
A cornerback seems most,obvious and there is no less than 8 out of 16 that are 6-0 or above.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Yep Emery has been nothing short of brilliant. Had a rough first draft with Shea, Hardin, and the short fat drug addict TE - but he's made some big time moves (Kyle Long, Bushrod, Jeffrey, Mills, Bennett, etc).

As they said on 670AM this morning - our chips are all in. We're going for the Super Bowl this year. If we add HaHa Clinton-Dix and our guys stay relatively healthy (DJ Williams, Tillman, Briggs, Cutler, Ratliff, etc) -- we're making a deep, deep run.

As much as I hate to say it...Seattle and San Fran still shit all over us.