Ot: Sox get Peavy if he waives his no-trade

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
The Sox don't strike me as a Jake Peavy away from being anywhere special, and starting pitching doesn't strike me as their big challenge either.

sabixx

Liked Posts:
yeah,I dont really see the point of this from the white soxs stand point. the majority of their team is still terrible.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
Hendry,

Get your ass in there an up the ante. I figured hed end up in chicago, just not on the other side of town.

2ndcitydiehard

Liked Posts:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
Hendry,

Get your ass in there an up the ante. I figured hed end up in chicago, just not on the other side of town.

Cubs don't need him. Their problem is hitting, not pitching (especially starting pitching).

Sox fans should watch out though. Peavy has had some season with pretty horendous home/road splits. People too often forget that he pitches half his games or more in an absolute cavern that is near impossible to hit a ball out of... that's a very different place from U.S. Cellular.

The price tag that comes on Peavy is also concerning. Assuming someone like Gordon Beckham or Alexi Ramirez is in the deal the Sox go in to next off-season with holes at DH, RF, CF, and probably 2B and 3B as well. They will save some money by losing Thome, Contreras and Dye but will they be able to replace their production with Peavy eating a big hunk of that savings?

I know Williams feels like he has to make a deal, but I was thrilled when the Cubs finally balked at Peavy over the summer. I fear Sox fans may end up wishing they had when it's all said and done.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
Yeah, going from Petco to the Cell will really damper his numbers. Petco is a pitchers ultimate paradise.

sabixx

Liked Posts:
2ndcitydiehard wrote:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
Hendry,

Cubs don't need him. Their problem is hitting, not pitching (especially starting pitching).

Sox fans should watch out though. Peavy has had some season with pretty horendous home/road splits. People too often forget that he pitches half his games or more in an absolute cavern that is near impossible to hit a ball out of... that's a very different place from U.S. Cellular.

The price tag that comes on Peavy is also concerning. Assuming someone like Gordon Beckham or Alexi Ramirez is in the deal the Sox go in to next off-season with holes at DH, RF, CF, and probably 2B and 3B as well. They will save some money by losing Thome, Contreras and Dye but will they be able to replace their production with Peavy eating a big hunk of that savings?

I know Williams feels like he has to make a deal, but I was thrilled when the Cubs finally balked at Peavy over the summer. I fear Sox fans may end up wishing they had when it's all said and done.

neither Beckham,nor Ramirez is in the deal.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
2ndcitydiehard wrote:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
Hendry,

We are talking about the same Cubs team right? Same one that hasn't won a world series in 100+ years?

If you can upgrade your team, regardless of need, you do it. Peavy already has said that the Cubs are where he wants to end up, and having a no trade clause, that puts the pressure on Padres management. If they don't trade him, thats 17 mil for this year on their books. Their goal isnt equal value back, its a few prospects (to appease the fans) and more importantly, salary relief.

2ndcitydiehard

Liked Posts:
sabixx wrote:

Not trying to be a jackass or anything, but source? In reality the damage Alexi has done to his value so far this year might take a LONG time to repair. And even if neither of them are there are still a ton of holes to fill for adding a pitcher who is likely going to hover around a 4+ ERA in the AL, especailly a ballpark like The Cell.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
2ndcitydiehard wrote:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
Hendry,

We are talking about the same Cubs team right? Same one that hasn't won a world series in 100+ years?

If you can upgrade your team, regardless of need, you do it. Peavy already has said that the Cubs are where he wants to end up, and having a no trade clause, that puts the pressure on Padres management. If they don't trade him, thats 17 mil for this year on their books. Their goal isnt equal value back, its a few prospects (to appease the fans) and more importantly, salary relief.
Now all we need to do is get the team sold within a few hours and we can swoop right in!

sabixx

Liked Posts:
2ndcitydiehard wrote:
sabixx wrote:

Not trying to be a jackass or anything, but source? In reality the damage Alexi has done to his value so far this year might take a LONG time to repair. And even if neither of them are there are still a ton of holes to fill for adding a pitcher who is likely going to hover around a 4+ ERA in the AL, especailly a ballpark like The Cell.

rotoworld and espn both say every player involved is a prospect except Peavy,Ramirez is not a prospect. both sources also report that Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda will be the center pieces. if thats the case. if Beckham was in the deal he would be the centerpiece.

2ndcitydiehard

Liked Posts:
That's good to see the Sox aren't losing top hitting then, although trading two of your top pitching prospects still hurts... The Sox are probably getting decent value for Peavy, but if he insists on having that last season and $22mil picked up then I'd be concerned how the financial ramifications could handcuff them in a lot of other areas.

sabixx

Liked Posts:
670 the score is saying that Peavy is likely to reject the deal.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
sabixx wrote:

Yea Peavy doesnt like big cities.

sabixx

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
sabixx wrote:

but he had already agreed to a trade to chicago several times last year, to the cubs.

The SD Union Tribune reports no deal between the Padres and White Sox is imminent.

2ndcitydiehard

Liked Posts:
sabixx wrote:

Wow... the quote from one of the Padres players reported today was that Peavy might be tentative about playing for Ozzie Guillen... I wonder if some of Ozzie's outburts come back to haunt the Sox here.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
sabixx wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
sabixx wrote:

but he had already agreed to a trade to chicago several times last year, to the cubs.

All I remember was that his people were saying he would reject any deal to NY. I just figured he didnt like the bright lights of the big city.

sabixx

Liked Posts:
he did indeed reject the Yankees last year. such weird taste in cities. he likes chicago but he doesn't like new york? I guess this just confirms chicago >>> new york

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
sabixx wrote:
he did indeed reject the Yankees last year. such weird taste in cities. he likes chicago but he doesn't like new york? I guess this just confirms chicago >>> new york

In basketball yes, in baseball no.

sabixx

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
sabixx wrote:

In basketball yes, in baseball no.

I was just speaking in terms of the cities, clearly its not that much about winning to Peavy,or he'd of taken a trade to the Yankees or Red Sox when he could of last year or in the offseason.