Emery has clearly studied the Shehawks...

Jeff George

Liked Posts:
...and emulating the vast depth approach they used on their D-line.

However...he CLEARLY hasn't played attention to their secondary.

We have Peanut and Tj

They have studs at every spot.

Signing Allen was nice Phil but WTF you gonna do about safety?

He blew it. He shoulve spent some if that money he's spent at DE on a LEGIT STARTING safety. Even an Antoine Bethea woudve been a HUGE upgrade of the clowns we got now.

If Haha or pryor or whoever we draft don't make an immediate impact...emery blew it for 2014.

And frankly I hope we still go DT in round 1.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
do you have a blog?

are you unemployed?

do you find the veins in your temple turning red and near to bursting more than once a minute while reading the internetz?

just curious.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:

We have Peanut and Tj

He blew it. He shoulve spent some if that money he's spent at DE on a LEGIT STARTING safety. Even an Antoine Bethea woudve been a HUGE upgrade of the clowns we got now.

If Haha or pryor or whoever we draft don't make an immediate impact...emery blew it for 2014.

What are you talking about? He may have emulated some of what Seattle does, but we don't have the personnel to be Seattle on Defense. Just like they don't have the personnel to be Chicago on offense. The hope is that you can have a good offense and defense, and that a couple bounces go your way.

FoCo

Liked Posts:
tumblr_m2x2hwbNLx1rto2weo1_500.gif

JoshMcCownFTW

Liked Posts:
I kind of agree. But we still have the draft. Unfortunately our talent evaluation for Safety has been suspect at best recently.

Superbowl54

Liked Posts:
Building a defense like that takes time. Meanwhile, having a great line in front of our current guys will make them more effective in what they do.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think Emery's hoping Gilbert falls to us in the 1st. I'm not sure if he would pull the trigger on Pryor at 14. He might, but he may not be the best player on the board. If not, trading down 4-5 spots should still put us in position for Pryor, Donald, Hageman, Dix, or even Shazier who is gonna be a monster in this league.

Love Da Bears

Liked Posts:
Kam Chancellor...drafted in the 5th round in 2010
Richard Sherman...drafted in the 5th round in 2011
Byron Maxwell...drafted in the 6th round in 2011
Earl Thomas...drafted in the 1st round in 2010 (oddly enough at #14)

Seems like Emery is doing just fine.

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree on not finding a quality safety, but it's not like he didn't try. We tried to sign that guy whos name I can't spell but he chose DET over us, he probably would have started for us. I just don't think there was too much available at the S in FA, hopefully the draft.

FoCo

Liked Posts:
Richard Sherman - 5th round pick
Kam Chancellor - 5th round pick
Byron Maxwell - 6th round pick
Earl Thomas - 14th overall pick

Michael Bennett - free agent Tampa
Cliff Avril - free agent Detroit

The Burning Bear

Liked Posts:
Conte and Wright were considered one of the best safety tandems in the league when the Bears' defense was elite. They were considered one of the worst last year when it was terrible. I don't know if Mundy will be any good, but that says to me that Conte is only as good as what's around him, so I'm not too worried about him honestly, no matter how much hate he gets around these parts.

If we can get Aaron Donald in the first... A good D-line, two very good cornerbacks, (Though I'm concerned about Tillman's durability.) our defense should be alright. Biggest worries for me right now are the linebackers, especially Briggs to be honest. Still don't really trust him in an Urlacher-esque role.

NE.Rugger

Liked Posts:
Lets see, Emery locked up our pro-bowl CB for the next 4 years. Got our other older pro-bowl CB on a 1 year deal until we can add some new talent for the future. Resigned our QB and LG for the future, as well as our C for next year, giving us stability on O moving forward. Added some competition to S. And added quite a bit to our DL. Sounds like a decent pre-draft offseason so far. Obviously there are still holes but I like where we are until we can focus on youth, depth, and talent pushing forward. There is football past 2014.

Jeff George

Liked Posts:
Lets see, Emery locked up our pro-bowl CB for the next 4 years. Got our other older pro-bowl CB on a 1 year deal until we can add some new talent for the future. Resigned our QB and LG for the future, as well as our C for next year, giving us stability on O moving forward. Added some competition to S. And added quite a bit to our DL. Sounds like a decent pre-draft offseason so far. Obviously there are still holes but I like where we are until we can focus on youth, depth, and talent pushing forward. There is football past 2014.

Tell that to Ralph Wilson.If you don't play to win a super bowl every year your in the wrong business. So for Phil emery his logic should be...NO, THERE IS NO FOOTBALL PAST 2014. With our prospective safety situation for 2014 we will not win the super bowl.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Still have the draft.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
There are two truths that I know about football:

1) Every team that ever went to the playoffs had lock down players at all the secondary positions.

2) It's possible to evaluate a teams off-season before the draft begins

So it is written- so it shall be done.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:

We have Peanut and Tj

[video=youtube;9ZacUxU868U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZacUxU868U[/video]