We Got Marginally Better Today.

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
We got Houston, Allen, and Young for the price of Peppers. Its a good move and will make the bears a better team with a solid rotation. If Shea can win the starting job at SAM imagine a blitz package where Houston moves inside beside our best pass rushing DT (Ratcliff or a draft pick whatever). Then you have Young and Allen at DE and send Shea on a blitz. If there is one thing Shea does have it's closing speed. One of those guys is going to win the one on one match-up and hit the QB.

paytonisgod

Liked Posts:
Some people seem to have to collectively forgot we were missing a third of out starters due to injury last year, while several others had lingering injuries. Provided that doesn't happen again I can almost guarantee our defense will be much improved. It might even be good again.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I was listening to Hub on B & B this afternoon. He's usually so negative but today he called the Bears legitimate contenders because of this move. He thinks Houston can be one of the best 3 techniques in the league. He also loves the idea of Houston and Ratliff playing side by side. He also said he believes the pick at 14 needs to be Clinton-Dix or Pryor. I actually think he's kind of a douche but it was interesting to hear him be so positive. He sees the starting d line as Young, Houston, Ratliff and Allen.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I was listening to Hub on B & B this afternoon. He's usually so negative but today he called the Bears legitimate contenders because of this move. He thinks Houston can be one of the best 3 techniques in the league. He also loves the idea of Houston and Ratliff playing side by side. He also said he believes the pick at 14 needs to be Clinton-Dix or Pryor. I actually think he's kind of a douche but it was interesting to hear him be so positive. He sees the starting d line as Young, Houston, Ratliff and Allen.
And Hub will be wrong again............Houston will be the DLE in the Bears base D and 3tech in the nickel. Now I do hope Hub is right about Clinton-Dix at 14.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Some people seem to have to collectively forgot we were missing a third of out starters due to injury last year, while several others had lingering injuries. Provided that doesn't happen again I can almost guarantee our defense will be much improved. It might even be good again.
Well the D may be good if Emery continues to make a few more moves. Bears are still weak at DT with all three coming off injury, and at safety Bears are still hot garbage.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Is this a good time to point out that Allen has not had less than 11 sacks in the last 7 seasons. In those 7 seasons, Allen averaged 14.4 sacks. Only 3 years ago he had 22 sacks. I'd say that his poorest output of sacks, at 11, would be more than a marginal upgrade from last year, imo, not to mention how much that helps out Houston and Young.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Yep

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
And Hub will be wrong again............Houston will be the DLE in the Bears base D and 3tech in the nickel. Now I do hope Hub is right about Clinton-Dix at 14.

That may be but I can see Houston, Ratliff and Paea as the top 3 DTs and Allen, Young and Bass at DE. Izzy can play some end and tackle. Collins rounds out the DT group. It makes some sense. Hopefully, Washington makes a big jump and sends Izzy into retirement.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Is this a good time to point out that Allen has not had less than 11 sacks in the last 7 seasons. In those 7 seasons, Allen averaged 14.4 sacks. Only 3 years ago he had 22 sacks. I'd say that his poorest output of sacks, at 11, would be more than a marginal upgrade from last year, imo, not to mention how much that helps out Houston and Young.
Apparently he's washed up lol

816772682.gif

Unreal.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
We got Houston, Allen, and Young for the price of Peppers. Its a good move and will make the bears a better team with a solid rotation. If Shea can win the starting job at SAM imagine a blitz package where Houston moves inside beside our best pass rushing DT (Ratcliff or a draft pick whatever). Then you have Young and Allen at DE and send Shea on a blitz. If there is one thing Shea does have it's closing speed. One of those guys is going to win the one on one match-up and hit the QB.

I agree. I think people will realize Shea can still be a threat from the LB spot. I can also see throwing a S blitz in the picture with a guy like Pryor. Pryor would be a monster blitzing from the SS position with the Bears new DL, imo!!!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
seriously. this is not 28 year old jared allen. he's almost 32 and while he'll get his 10 sacks, he's nowhere close to a difference maker. we overpaid for a name. and there seem to be a lot of people who are very excited about that. but the bears are only marginally better then they were yesterday.

Almost 60 sacks in the last 4 years
11 last season
Has missed 3 games in a 10 year career

A significant upgrade over Peppers.
On a 2 year deal.

Go check outside the sky is falling.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I think it's safe to say that Allen has been the best DE in the league from a consistency point of view over the last 7-8 years. Peppers has more ability, but he happens to also be lazy and you can tell when he isn't trying. Peppers, although he doesn't miss many games, also tends to be hurt all the time which limits his effectiveness for stretches.

The Bears got significantly better with the addition of Jared Allen.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But seeing how young this Defense is going to get in the coming years, quality leadership can not be over looked.

Leadership is easily overlooked by those who don't understand it. Everything I've read or heard by those who make a living analyzing football said this was a good move by the Bears. Oddly, if you want to find severe criticism you need to go to internet bulletin boards largely populated by meat heads.

Sentinel

Liked Posts:
Were people here claiming "We got MARGINALLY BETTER today, Brandon Marshall is a head case who is only x better than Bernard Berrian was." a few years back or something?

A marginal difference is like a stepping stone. Our defense sucked. We got marginally better when we got Houston. We got marginally better when we filled out our rotation with guys like Young and Idonije. We got marginally better when we signed Allen.

You continue to get marginally better until you're stacked.

CutlersCorner

Liked Posts:
"Marginally better"... Ha!

I guess it's like the saying goes...

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
to the OP: do tell what would have been better sir? get your nose out the air and just be thankful we're at least making ourselves competative....jesus...sick of the arm chair GM's thinking they could and would do better....smh

These arm chair GM's would get ALL the best players, because they would all sign for $2 million per year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
All I know is.....I can not WAIT for the draft.

I hope I feel as good afterward.

We can't miss on the top picks this year.

Sentinel

Liked Posts:
These arm chair GM's would get ALL the best players, because they would all sign for $2 million per year.

And of course, we'd trade back to the 16th pick for Dallas' next four first round picks, their 2nd and 3rd rounder this year, and all their cheerleaders would have to come spread their legs whenever summoned.

It's really easy, Emery just sucks at it.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
seriously. this is not 28 year old jared allen. he's almost 32 and while he'll get his 10 sacks, he's nowhere close to a difference maker. we overpaid for a name. and there seem to be a lot of people who are very excited about that. but the bears are only marginally better then they were yesterday.

Remind us where the Bears finished in sacks last year? :slap: