We Got Marginally Better Today.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
seriously. this is not 28 year old jared allen. he's almost 32 and while he'll get his 10 sacks, he's nowhere close to a difference maker. we overpaid for a name. and there seem to be a lot of people who are very excited about that. but the bears are only marginally better then they were yesterday.

You don't think a guy who'll get 10 sacks is a difference maker? You think paying 15.5M for 2 years for double digit sacks every year is overpaying? We paid a hell of a lot more than that for 7 sacks last season.

Do you know anything about football at all?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
You don't think a guy who'll get 10 sacks is a difference maker? You think paying 15.5M for 2 years for double digit sacks every year is overpaying? We paid a hell of a lot more than that for 7 sacks last season.

Do you know anything about football at all?

enough to know that 10 sacks is 10 plays out of 600-1000 plays a full time defensive player plays. lamarr houston is a vastly superior player to allen at this point in their careers.

again, allen in 2010? difference maker. allen in 2014? not.

oh, and again, he'll be 32 years old. i wish i could live in the imaginary land where football players don't ever age. i thought packers fans were stupid for getting excited about julius peppers(ha!) but bears fans are doing the same thing here. jared allen isn't the last piece to put the defense over the top. he's not the kind of player who will sudddenly propel this defense back to greatness anymore. you guys can all live in denial if you want. but he was barely better then peppers last season. and peppers was mediocre at best.

"but he had 10 sacks."

and minnesota had a WORSE defense then the bears.

giving fading stars big money deals is only a good idea if you're one player away. the bears have many needs on defense.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going back to the bar. Way less stupid there.

Darkman

Liked Posts:
Hey OP, We got better, don't worry about it.

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:

By this logic we shouldnt have traded for marshall because the dolphins had a shitty offense the previous year. Good point.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
enough to know that 10 sacks is 10 plays out of 600-1000 plays a full time defensive player plays. lamarr houston is a vastly superior player to allen at this point in their careers.

oh, and again, he'll be 32 years old. i wish i could live in the imaginary land where football players don't ever age. i thought packers fans were stupid for getting excited about julius peppers(ha!) but bears fans are doing the same thing here. jared allen isn't the last piece to put the defense over the top. he's not the kind of player who will sudddenly propel this defense back to greatness anymore. you guys can all live in denial if you want. but he was barely better then peppers last season. and peppers was mediocre at best.

"but he had 10 sacks."

giving fading stars big money deals is only a good idea if you're one player away. the bears have many needs on defense.

10 sacks out of 1,000 plays is 1%.
20 sacks out of 1,000 plays is 2%.

By your logic, 20 sacks isn't a big deal either. It's only a 1% difference afterall.

Whoever said that Jared Allen is the last piece to put this defense over the top? All of us are saying we now have plugged a hole on the defense and are looking forward to some draft picks that will improve the defense further. No single player in the NFL can bring a team from 8-8 to the Super Bowl. It will take a combination of FAs, draft picks, health, and other factors.

Just out of curiosity, who would you have signed with the 15.5 Million over 2 years? Or you would put the entire fate of the defense on a bunch of rookies, some 2nd year players, and a bunch of old veterans already on the team?

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Call me crazy, but I would consider a double digit sack player, that opposing coordinators must take into consideration, a difference maker.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lets see.

Allen>Peppers
Ratliff>Paea+2013 Ratliff
Houston = Melton >2013 Ratliff/2013 Melton and not coming of a ding.
Young>Shea

We've improved every D line position and all 4 of those guys needed to be signed. Until today the moves were somewhat debatable. This one makes it a very successful off season. Emery just did with the Dline what he did with the Oline last year and we haven't even drafted anyone yet. We need to get younger at a couple of those spots but we've now got a few years to get that done.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

"but he had 10 sacks."

So....don't sign FA's because no one of them will fill all the holes?

Wait until after the draft, when you have fewer holes? When the FA's are all gone?

Wait....that first rounder alone won't fill all the holes, so don't pick in the first until you also have your 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks made. And your FA's.

If you need five new starters, you MUST acquire all 5 players simultaneously?

And Minnesota's D now was worse than the Bears' D? By what measure?

The Bears D was as bad as any in memory. And it is significantly better right now, BEFORE draft picks are added.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Let's not overthink this. As Hub said yesterday, the Bears effectively traded Peppers for Allen. What does that mean?

- Allen is here at $2M LESS than Peppers - good
- Allen is 2.5 years younger than Peppers - good
- Allen had significantly better production than Peppers (particularly last season) - good
- Allen had significantly better production than Peppers while playing 95% of their defensive snaps - good

The point? Yes, they are both aging players. Allen, however, is younger and simply puts up better numbers. Peppers had multiple games last season where he simply did NOT hit the stat sheet. Yes, the go back and tweak the stats so as not to show zeros, but we all saw it with our eyes. He was non-existent on the field for 90% of the season last year. And no, he was NOT getting double teamed. This isn't 2011.

No move is done in a vaccuum. This move, combined with the others that Emery has done in the offseason, has made the Bears defense CONSIDERABLY better. ONE play - ONE play - made by the defense (whether it's the William fumble pick up or the Conte fuck up) against GB and this was a playoff team last year.

If the offense stays healthy can continue to put up similar numbers and the defense can just be a middle of the pack squad - say 13-20, they will be a playoff team.

proton

Liked Posts:
From a talent and personnel perspective the Bears are significantly better now then they were last year. The real wild card in all of this is does Mel Tucker know what to do with the much improved talent he's been handed.