Please explain how this hybrid defense that we'll be running works

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
idk if they will run a "hybrid," but they will definitely show different looks and possibly have edge rushers standing up on some 3rd downs.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
As mentioned, it doesn't look like the Bears are going to run a hybrid D at all, but at most will simply give multiple looks out of their 1-gap scheme.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Again, that tells you nothing about what defensive scheme Emery wants to run. It's especially ridiculous considering that the Seahawks and 49ers run completely different defenses.

Well, my main point is we DON'T KNOW exactly what we will run at this point. Emery came out and said the Bears will remain a base 4-3 team, but he sure said that he wanted to be flexible, and he said he wanted the scheme to be the best for the players they had on the roster.

The FA signing are all fairly 'flexible' players on the DL. I'm not saying what scheme they will run, but it could be anything at this point. And it's clear that Emery wants to move guys around on the DL to create confusion to me. It'll be interesting to me to see if this leads to different schemes as well.

This is a dumb thing to debate, I'm out, but check out this article on the matter, and specifically Emery's quote. It sure sounds fairly open to different schemes to me, if it suits our players best that is.

In a story that appeared on the Bears official website, both Marc Trestman and Phil Emery talked about the changes the team wants to make to improve on last year’s terrible defense. Emery says those changes won’t include switching schemes.
“Right now our priority is adding playmakers on defense,” Emery said. “We need to enhance our defense’s ability to make game-determining plays. The No. 1 goal of our defense will always be to score points because when your defense scores your chances of winning are astronomically high compared to when they don’t.”
In terms of the scheme, the Bears will remain a 4-3 base team. But having coaches with experience in a variety of different systems will give them the versatility to take advantage of what their players do best.

“It’s a matter of being able to utilize the people that we have and be ready to do whatever it’s going to take with a system that’s flexible enough to do it,” Trestman said. “It’s making sure we have a scheme that can utilize our players and bring the best out of them.”

The versatility comments lead me to believe that while the Bears will run a base 4-3, we’re going to see some different fronts in 2014. Which is fine with me. I’ve always been a fan of the 3-4, but the truth is you can succeed with any scheme on defense, just as long as you execute. And execution was the Bears biggest problem in 2013.

Read More .....

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, my main point is we DON'T KNOW exactly what we will run at this point. Emery came out and said the Bears will remain a base 4-3 team, but he sure said that he wanted to be flexible, and he said he wanted the scheme to be the best for the players they had on the roster.

The FA signing are all fairly 'flexible' players on the DL. I'm not saying what scheme they will run, but it could be anything at this point. And it's clear that Emery wants to move guys around on the DL to create confusion to me. It'll be interesting to me to see if this leads to different schemes as well.

This is a dumn thing to debate, I'm out, but check out this article on the matter, and specifically Emery's quote. It sure sounds fairly open to different schemes to me, if it suits our players best that is.

That's the problem. You're confusing "flexibility" with running a hybrid front. Running a hybrid doesn't mean running a 3-4 sometimes and a 4-3 the rest of the time. It also doesn't mean that you run a 4-3 and every once in a while show a 3-4 look.

A hybrid defense is something completely different. If you'd like to know what it actually is, read my first post in this thread.

What you're talking about is running multiple fronts. Again, that's different than running a hybrid defense.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If anyone wants some speculation based on things that have actually changed this offseason, I think we'll see the LDE play more 5-tech on rushing downs.

Going back to the 4-3 Under diagram I used earlier, if the LDE is able to two-gap the right tackle, it removes the middle linebacker from having any gap responsibility. With Houston at LDE and Bostic at MLB, this would make perfect sense. Houston plays the 5-tech really well and Bostic is better when he's relying on instinct and not taking on linemen.

The thing that keeps this from being a true hybrid defense is the lack of a two-gapping nose tackle. They could draft one, but there would be no one playing behind that person (unless it's another rookie).

I think the place where we'll see the multiple fronts on this defense is in nickel situations. I think we'll see plenty of 3-3-5 with McClellin playing the "spinner" role and 4-2-5 with McClellin putting his hand in the dirt (and Houston moving to tackle). That's the kind of flexibility Emery was talking about.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
That's the problem. You're confusing "flexibility" with running a hybrid front. Running a hybrid doesn't mean running a 3-4 sometimes and a 4-3 the rest of the time. It also doesn't mean that you run a 4-3 and every once in a while show a 3-4 look.

A hybrid defense is something completely different. If you'd like to know what it actually is, read my first post in this thread.

What you're talking about is running multiple fronts. Again, that's different than running a hybrid defense.

I understand it real well. You don't have to be a read option offense to run some of those sets as well. If we run a few wildcat plays, are we a wildcat team? That's the thing about flexibility, no? If the defense is not flexible it would do the same thing all the time like Lovie's Tampa two.

Again, I seem to be the only one saying we don't know what the Bears will run, but I think it would be pretty cool if the Bears could march out a 3-4 alignment as an adjustment mid game to confuse the heck out of a team. Confusion is the name of the game, right?

The bottom line is how can anyone say what it will be until we get all the players in camp? Hence my first and MAIN point.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
If anyone wants some speculation based on things that have actually changed this offseason, I think we'll see the LDE play more 5-tech on rushing downs.

Going back to the 4-3 Under diagram I used earlier, if the LDE is able to two-gap the right tackle, it removes the middle linebacker from having any gap responsibility. With Houston at LDE and Bostic at MLB, this would make perfect sense. Houston plays the 5-tech really well and Bostic is better when he's relying on instinct and not taking on linemen.

The thing that keeps this from being a true hybrid defense is the lack of a two-gapping nose tackle. They could draft one, but there would be no one playing behind that person (unless it's another rookie).

I think the place where we'll see the multiple fronts on this defense is in nickel situations. I think we'll see plenty of 3-3-5 with McClellin playing the "spinner" role and 4-2-5 with McClellin putting his hand in the dirt (and Houston moving to tackle). That's the kind of flexibility Emery was talking about.

Now I'm confused. When I look at your hybrid diagram, I agree that Houston makes a good two gap DE and taking away gap control could really help Bostic. What I don't understand is why when the Bears do it, it's not a hybrid? :thinking:

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I understand it real well. You don't have to be a read option offense to run some of those sets as well. If we run a few wildcat plays, are we a wildcat team? That's the thing about flexibility, no? If the defense is not flexible it would do the same thing all the time like Lovie's Tampa two.

Again, I seem to be the only one saying we don't know what the Bears will run, but I think it would be pretty cool if the Bears could march out a 3-4 alignment as an adjustment mid game to confuse the heck out of a team. Confusion is the name of the game, right?

The bottom line is how can anyone say what it will be until we get all the players in camp? Hence my first and MAIN point.

We do know what they will be running, a 1-gap scheme, likely with multiple looks. And again, that is not a hybrid D.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You're showing that you don't know what you're talking about. Running a hybrid defense doesn't mean that you "march out a 3-4 alignment as an adjustment mid game to confuse the heck out of a team."

You have no clue what a hybrid defense is. Showing different fronts does not make you a "hybrid defense." Please, go back and read my first post in this thread. If you still don't understand it, stop commenting.

And the first sentence in my first post begins with "I don't know whether the Bears will be running it," so you're not the only person saying that. You weren't even the first.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We do know what they will be running, a 1-gap scheme, likely with multiple looks. And again, that is not a hybrid D.

He doesn't get it.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
He doesn't get it.

I do get it. First, where did I ever say we were going to run a hybrid defense? Secondly, you can impress each other all you want with your knowledge. I'm sticking to my original point, I'll wait and see exactly what the Bears do. I won't make a prediction either way. And THAT was my point!

See ya! :flipa:

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What happens if the Bears draft Nix?

They still need a backup. They could take someone like Justin Ellis later, but then they're relying on two rookies. It could still happen, though.

I really thought they would sign someone in the second wave of free agency to play that role, but I don't know how much money is left after Allen.

The other problem with taking Nix in the first is that he would most likely be a two-down player in this scenario. At this point, the linemen in the nickel look like Young, Houston, Allen and McClellin.

I like Nix and I really like the hybrid front, but I don't know how much sense either one makes at this point.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I do get it. First, where did I ever say we were going to run a hybrid defense? Secondly, you can impress each other all you want with your knowledge. I'm sticking to my original point, I'll wait and see exactly what the Bears do. I won't make a prediction either way. And THAT was my point!

See ya! :flipa:

I'm not so sure.

Reactions: WCL

AussieBear

I don't know whether the Beears will be running it, but since you asked...

Here's the 4-3 Under front that our front-seven has been using for the past ten years or so:

grant_diag3_sy_57611.jpg

It's the same front that most 4-3 teams run as their base. The linemen all line up in a gap, and everyone in the front seven is responsible for one gap. The job of the linemen is to penetrate the gap first and then diagnose the play.

Here's a two-gap (or Bullough-Fairbanks) 3-4:

Bullough-Fairbanks_30_Front_medium.jpg

The three linemen are lined up directly in front of an offensive lineman, and they're each responsible for the gaps on either side of those lineman. The three linemen are able to cover 6 gaps, leaving the linebackers the freedom to roam and make plays.

Now, here's a hybrid front:

grant_diag1_sy_57611.jpg

The right end and 3-tech tackle are lined up exactly like they are in the 4-3 Under above. The difference is that the left side of the line is playing like a two-gap 3-4. The nose tackle is shifted in front of the center and the left end is shifted in front of the right tackle.

Because the weak side "a" gap is now being controlled by the nose tackle, the Will linebacker is able to chase down plays without worrying about a gap. The same thing goes for the middle linebacker. He's no longer responsible for the strong side "b" gap.

This is the same hybrid front that the Seahawks, Ravens and Patriots use. It's essentially a 4-3 front with two lineman two-gapping.

some good footballl knowledge right thurrr