Please explain how this hybrid defense that we'll be running works

Liked Posts:
I'm totally clueless about it and would like to know how it works. What are the nuances of it? Who else besides the Seahawks run it? Is it a fad? Where do people line up opposed to our Tampa 2? Thanks guys.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
it's the wildcat on defense.....I honestly have no clue but I know a few bloggers who will enlighten you in 3.....2.....1.....

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Requires less gas because the mileage is so great.

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
It allows Sheamus to be useful on defense

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is sort of like a 4-3 under. It combines one and two gap fronts so the offensive lines have an unpredictable time of blocking.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Personally, not buying that the bears are going to run a true hybrid. Emery certainly has sounded pretty committed to a 1 gap front.

I think they will maybe try to use hybrid concepts for their over or under fronts.

But to be clear, the whole "bears are going to run a hybrid" thing came from a couple posters here that tend to fall in love with their own ideas.

Last edited:

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know whether the Beears will be running it, but since you asked...

Here's the 4-3 Under front that our front-seven has been using for the past ten years or so:

grant_diag3_sy_57611.jpg

It's the same front that most 4-3 teams run as their base. The linemen all line up in a gap, and everyone in the front seven is responsible for one gap. The job of the linemen is to penetrate the gap first and then diagnose the play.

Here's a two-gap (or Bullough-Fairbanks) 3-4:

Bullough-Fairbanks_30_Front_medium.jpg

The three linemen are lined up directly in front of an offensive lineman, and they're each responsible for the gaps on either side of those lineman. The three linemen are able to cover 6 gaps, leaving the linebackers the freedom to roam and make plays.

Now, here's a hybrid front:

grant_diag1_sy_57611.jpg

The right end and 3-tech tackle are lined up exactly like they are in the 4-3 Under above. The difference is that the left side of the line is playing like a two-gap 3-4. The nose tackle is shifted in front of the center and the left end is shifted in front of the right tackle.

Because the weak side "a" gap is now being controlled by the nose tackle, the Will linebacker is able to chase down plays without worrying about a gap. The same thing goes for the middle linebacker. He's no longer responsible for the strong side "b" gap.

This is the same hybrid front that the Seahawks, Ravens and Patriots use. It's essentially a 4-3 front with two lineman two-gapping.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just to reiterate... the bears aren't going to run a hybrid D.

Reactions: WCL

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just to reiterate... the bears aren't going to run a hybrid D.

Yeah, I think we would have seen a 2-gap nose tackle get signed in free agency if that was the plan.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
As far as who runs it: Seattle, Buffalo, NE, and a few others I'm forgetting. Edit: Broncos and Ravens do as well.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Without being too technical the whole idea is to become more confusing on the quarterback and the offensive line.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
There's very little proof that the Bears will run anything like what Seattle runs. We don't have the personnel for it and the Bears wouldn't change everything JUST to salvage Shea. If the Bears end up drafting someone like Nix in the draft, then I can MAYBE see us running something closer, but our secondary and linebackers aren't anything alike. I think the Bears want to be versatile in the sense that the players are capable of doing other things. Having a DE drop into coverage while LBs rush the QB, stuff like that. I think Emery's just trying to find players who are capable of doing more than just one specialized thing, and give Tucker flexibility in who he sends at the QB and who he can drop into coverage. I don't think we can really run these quasi-3-4 type schemes without a 2-gap NT, and we don't have anyone suited for that. This is all just an opinion though so I have no idea what will actually come to play in season.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I actually think the Bears could run it...The only piece missing would be a big, athletic DL. Similar to say Red Bryant, Haloti Ngata, Marcell Dareus and guys like that. Obviously, finding a guy like that is difficult and getting one who is as good as say Ngata or Dareus would be extremely difficult but that's the only real piece missing when you look at the versatility the Bears now have in the front 7.

If the Bears drafted a Louis Nix...then we could talk.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
It will be a hybrid defense because at one point in his career a very long time ago by football standards Mel Tucker ran a 3-4 defense. So suddenly Tucker is going to suddenly combine everything he knows about a 3-4 and a 4-3 into one defense and make that his hybrid defense in Chicago. He's never ran a 3-4 since that one single year, but with Shea McClellin moving to linebacker Phil Emery has mandated the Bears do something to save his career...

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I get a kick out of the guys that say "the Bears won't run a hybrid/3-4 defense" like they're fuckin Nostradamus or something. :smh: I'm not sure why it's so dumb since, afterall, Emery did say he wanted to become a more hybrid type defense like Seattle, we did sign a DL and LB coaches that worked primarily in the 3-4 sets.

Ratlif did play quite a few years in a 3-4 in Dallas. The Bears did just add a load of interchangeable DL players in FA'cy. We still also have the draft to add a big DT if we want. I'm not why people are so certain what we'll play yet???

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get a kick out of the guys that say "the Bears won't run a hybrid/3-4 defense" like they're fuckin Nostradamus or something. :smh: I'm not sure why it's so dumb since, afterall, Emery did say he wanted to become a more hybrid type defense like Seattle, we did sign a DL and LB coaches that worked primarily in the 3-4 sets.

Ratlif did play quite a few years in a 3-4 in Dallas. The Bears did just add a load of interchangeable DL players in FA'cy. We still also have the draft to add a big DT if we want. I'm not why people are so certain what we'll play yet???

Ratliff played in a one-gap 3-4 in Dallas. It's the exact same nose tackle position that the Bears have used for a decade. It's a 300-315lb. tackle who lines up in the "a" gap. Ratliff was never a two-gap nose tackle.

And adding a LB coach who's coached a 3-4 tells you nothing, since the only time Herring coached a 3-4 was under Wade Philips. Again, that was a one-gap 3-4. The linebacker responsibilities in that defense are the same as what the Bears have been running for a decade.

It's still possible the Bears could play a hybrid front next season, but nothing you listed would help them move in that direction.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Emery did not say that.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Ratliff played in a one-gap 3-4 in Dallas. It's the exact same nose tackle position that the Bears have used for a decade. It's a 300-315lb. tackle who lines up in the "a" gap. Ratliff was never a two-gap nose tackle.

And adding a LB coach who's coached a 3-4 tells you nothing, since the only time Herring coached a 3-4 was under Wade Philips. Again, that was a one-gap 3-4. The linebacker responsibilities in that defense are the same as what the Bears have been running for a decade.

It's still possible the Bears could play a hybrid front next season, but nothing you listed would help them move in that direction.

Thanks for reiterating my point, and certainly, nothing you list makes me think that they won't.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks for reiterating my point, and certainly, nothing you list makes me think that they won't.

No. Your point was "They brought in guys who have played/coached in the 3-4, so that means they might play a hybrid defense."

That was completely wrong. Bringing in people who have coached and played under Wade Philips means nothing when you're talking about a team incorporating some 3-4 philosophies into their defense. The Philips 3-4 is based on the exact same philosophies as the 4-3 that the Bears have been running for a decade. The only difference is the right end takes his hand out of the dirt.

If they had brought in someone that had coached the hybrid for the Seahawks, Bills, Patriots or Ravens, that would have told us something. If they had brought in a two-gap nose tackle, that would have told us something.

The only thing they've done is bring in Lamarr Houston who can play the 5-tech on the left side.

Like I said, it's still possible, but your reasoning is completely off.