OT: Vikings Coach Zimmer Not Sure Manziel "Breaths" Football

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://theredzone.org/BlogDescripti...-flags--came-up-in-conversations/Default.aspx

Vikings met with Manziel Friday; 'flags' came up in conversations

Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer said there are some “flags” that popped up during the team’s second meeting with Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel on Friday, Master Tesfatsion of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

The Vikings held a private workout and dinner with Manziel the day after his Pro Day. The two sides previously met at the NFL Combine in February.

“We asked him all kinds of questions. ...There are some flags that come up,” Zimmer said on 104.9 The Horn in Austin on Monday. “All of the things that happened out in Los Angeles, the commercials and all that stuff (Manziel had a cameo in a recent McDonalds commercial with LeBron James); the position of quarterback in the NFL is such an important position and the reason these guys need to be a totally football-minded guy is the pressure of the position and being the face of an NFL team and doing everything right. That’s the thing you want to know about him -- will he be into work early every single day? Will be the last to leave? Will he be the guy that is working the hardest to get better?

“There is a change, otherwise all of these other quarterbacks that have come up through the years would have made it, from the college game to the NFL game as far as the speed of the defense and some of the complexities of the different defenses. So that position has got to be a position that really eats, breaths, and sleeps football where he is going to take it upon his shoulders to win. At least the Peyton Manning’s, Drew Brees’ of the world have done that and really all we have to go on in the NFL is past history.”

“I guess the thing you have to figure out is, is this just another part of the things that happened a couple of years ago after he won the Heisman Trophy or is he just a different person as far as wanting the limelight or just wanting to prove that he can do things the right way,” Zimmer said. “I guess it maybe brings a few questions marks in. Is he going to conform to typically what the NFL is or what everyone else has done before him including what the great players in the game have done before him, or is he going to try to be the celebrity man guy that he was maybe a year-and-a-half ago?”

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Just the usual April bullshit when it comes to the draft. Coaches, GM's all trying to throw off the scent.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I heard that Johnny Football don't shit football juice either. PASS!

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Just the usual April bullshit when it comes to the draft. Coaches, GM's all trying to throw off the scent.

Just "April bullshit?" When's the last time a HC/GM publicly and repeatedly disparaged a top prospect and then turned around and drafted him? Isn't the idea to conceal who you want to draft without irrevocably damaging your relationship with the new face of the fanchise before you even sign him?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
IMO Johnny Football is the best QB from this class. I'll add that this group is short on top tier prospects at that spot, but overall he's the closest thing to a guy that can come in and help a team win from day one.

Reactions: X

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
More importantly who the fuck names their child Master Tesfatsion

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I'm indifferent to Manziel, but doing a cameo in a McD's commercial is a red flag? That's just fucking stupid. Peyton Manning is the all time king of commercials and he seem to find enough time to concentrate on football. Agree it is just pre-draft bullshit. Then he throws , "I guess the thing you have to figure out", at the end, so when they draft him he can go on about how they did the extra due diligence and he checked out fine.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
More importantly who the fuck names their child Master Tesfatsion

Matthe Mcconaughey's bro named his son Miller Lyte.

I only drink that shit at bears games (for $7)!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Manziel doesn't have the character to endure whats about to happen. He is more leaf than Manning. Just wait.....because he is probably going to go to a bad team, he is going to lose any leash he might have had with money from his parents, (I'm sure agents and signings already made this mostly true), but it won't be easy for him.

He is a really big small guy. Meaning....hands and shoulders and head and bones are actually that of a safety. He looks huge next to Kurt Warner in interviews....but Manziel is a gunslinger which means his first 2-3 years will be painful.

I am of the opinion that he implodes in his personal life before the real fruit comes out, and I do think there is fruit 2-3 years down the road if he can keep it together and not be a side show, but being exposed too early will be bad for him and his true attitude will manifest when the chips are down.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Manziel reminds me of Matt Leinart off the field...

But his talents remind me of a 10x better version of Russell Wilson...

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Manziel doesn't have the character to endure whats about to happen. He is more leaf than Manning. Just wait.....because he is probably going to go to a bad team, he is going to lose any leash he might have had with money from his parents, (I'm sure agents and signings already made this mostly true), but it won't be easy for him.

He is a really big small guy. Meaning....hands and shoulders and head and bones are actually that of a safety. He looks huge next to Kurt Warner in interviews....but Manziel is a gunslinger which means his first 2-3 years will be painful.

I am of the opinion that he implodes in his personal life before the real fruit comes out, and I do think there is fruit 2-3 years down the road if he can keep it together and not be a side show, but being exposed too early will be bad for him and his true attitude will manifest when the chips are down.

Perhaps you should change your name to Karnak?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That Vikes coach looks like CHip Bayless. Poor guy!